Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #226
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I'm not too impressed.. I downloaded and installed it. Imported a few books in, went to let my dog out and when I came back it said my trial period had expired, Did I want to purchase. Heck, I don't think I got 10 minutes to test it, I never openned a book..No, I think I"ll not purchase when I can't try it and the other functions made me force a close... Too bad , it might be a good ereader.
Then you got a bum download, my trial lasted for 5 days. It's the best reader on the market for me!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #227
NonZeroSum
NonZeroSum began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Paid Mantano not availablein Market for rooted Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
I have the same problem on Samsung Galaxy Tab. I'm running the stock rom (2.3.4) but rooted. Market shows the reader as "not compatible for device". It's visible from Xoom (stock, not rooted) and Evo 3D (rooted).

I contacted the developer yesterday, hoping to hear from them soon.
I am experiencing a similar problem with the paid app not being available for my Nook running CM 7 nightly #150-ish (08052011), getting the "not compatible for this device" message. The trial app is there, surprisingly. I was able to install the 1.2.4 apk from an alternate source (after I had paid for it), so I know it works with my setup. The paid app works great on my DInc, as well. I contacted the one of the devs, who directed me to this forum, as they were aware of the issue, but she had little info on it at that moment.

As for the people inquiring about Calibre, it works perfectly well, especially if you set Mantano to synch your default install directory on the device. I have about 400 books (mixed PDF and ePub) installed on my Nook and it handles them all with aplomb.
NonZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #228
GregoryP
Enthusiast
GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Google Nexus One
The compatibility issues are pretty strange. Some Galaxy Tab 7" can see the paid version of the app, while some others can't. As for Nook devices, a few of our users have reported the app not being compatible anymore. All of the Nook users with this problem seem to have the CM7 rom.
This seems like a market issue. Any ideas on what could be done ?
GregoryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #229
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryP View Post
The compatibility issues are pretty strange. Some Galaxy Tab 7" can see the paid version of the app, while some others can't. As for Nook devices, a few of our users have reported the app not being compatible anymore. All of the Nook users with this problem seem to have the CM7 rom.
This seems like a market issue. Any ideas on what could be done ?
Some folks need to change their LCD density setting to get the new Market to show all apps and not have compatibility issues.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146635

Last edited by SCION; 08-20-2011 at 09:20 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #230
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
I like the clarity of the fonts on this reader, but it seems to be missing several features that are showstoppers for me. I may be missing them since I just started looking at the trial yesterday. Here are my must have features:

* A way to always show the current page number and last page number (or percentage complete) all the time not just by popping up the menu. I'd also like to know how far into a chapter I am.
* I can't seem to get the fonts to change in small increments (maybe due to annoyance below about sluggish response)
* Paper-like background (CoolReader has a really nice one)

Some annoyances:
* When I try to tap to turn the page, many times the menu stuff comes up. I have had to use the volume buttons as a reliable way to change.
* It seems sluggish when doing menu selections. For example, when I bring up the font change icon, it takes about 5 seconds to respond to anything. I thought it wasn't taking my input so I hit the larger font several times and it finally made a giant font.
* Putting in a bookmark is difficult as it doesn't respond right away. I end up changing the page instead of placing a bookmark.

I am on Nook manualnooter.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #231
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I bought this App on the 15th and it won't install on my Entourage Edge. I've been waiting to hear from this company for 7 days on this matter. I really hope they can solve this issue as a lot of Edge owners would love this App.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #232
GregoryP
Enthusiast
GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Google Nexus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I bought this App on the 15th and it won't install on my Entourage Edge. I've been waiting to hear from this company for 7 days on this matter. I really hope they can solve this issue as a lot of Edge owners would love this App.
Hi Synergi,

The eDGe problem is pretty tricky : the application is set to install on the sdcard if possible (and in the internal memory if needed). What's happening is that the Edge cannot (apparently) install application on the SDcard, but still tries to do it instead of installing on the internal memory...
One solution would be for us to recompile the application and have it install by default on the internal memory rather than the SDcard. We haven't done it yet as for most devices it's better to install on the SD.

There seems to be a solution have the SDcard working correctly on the eDGe, but I'm not sure how simple it is : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138124
GregoryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #233
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangahm View Post

Some annoyances:
* When I try to tap to turn the page, many times the menu stuff comes up. I have had to use the volume buttons as a reliable way to change.
There is option in settings called Tap for Toolbar. This will turn the auto menu off. Someone here told me about it cause I had the same issue. You just use your menu key to bring up and close it instead of tapping.

I use the program on my LG Vortex smartphone. It works fine but turning pages isn't as sensitive as it's needs to be. Italics and Bold need to be in the custom font not default font. It be nice to be able to justify text but other then that it's the best paid reader. I bought mine through Amazon. Oh and I think it may be Android 1.2 or device specific but I can't get it remember the brightness settings. It resets each time I exit a book.

Last edited by Blossom; 08-20-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #234
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
"* Paper-like background (CoolReader has a really nice one)"

Heh... I though that it was the ugliest thing ever!

"* When I try to tap to turn the page, many times the menu stuff comes up."

You need to go to settings and remove the appropriate checkmark.

"* It seems sluggish when doing menu selections."

The program IS still being developed and given its other features as well as the willingness of the developer to work with the users, I am willing to cut it some slack. It's not a critical issue for me, once the settings are down, there is only reading to be done and that is done quite well.

This reader, even in its unfinished state, is by far the best that I have used. I am now the proud "owner" of all major paid readers and only use this one. I don't mind promoting it because it looks like it's going to seriously kick some butt when it's finished.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #235
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There is option in settings called Tap for Toolbar. This will turn the auto menu off. Someone here told me about it cause I had the same issue. You just use your menu key to bring up and close it instead of tapping.

I use the program on my LG Vortex smartphone. It works fine but turning pages isn't as sensitive as it's needs to be. Italics and Bold need to be in the custom font not default font. It be nice to be able to justify text but other then that it's the best paid reader. I bought mine through Amazon. Oh and I think it may be Android 1.2 or device specific but I can't get it remember the brightness settings. It resets each time I exit a book.
It can justify text, too. I don't have the reader with me but I can tell you that you need to go through your settings. I used justified text myself.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #236
SteveMB
SteveMB began at the beginning.

Device: Toshiba Thrive (Honeycomb Tablet); Touch Pro 2 (WinMo Phone)
I downloaded the trial -- it looks good except for one big problem: the font won't change from default even after downloading the font pack and selecting a different option in the theme. I had the same problem with Aldiko, so it could be a problem with the device configuration or the eBooks (converted from filtered-HTML Word docs via Calibre).

(Toshiba Thrive running Honeycomb)
SteveMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #237
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
Thanks for the replies.

So there is no workaround or toggle to show the page # or percentage of completion?

I really want to like this reader but it doesn't seem to be better than CoolReader or MoonReader without those basics.

Is it just the nicer UI that people like or am I missing something else? Or is it that it handles pdf's better? I pretty much only read epub so maybe I'm missing the nice pdf functionality.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #238
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangahm View Post
Thanks for the replies.

So there is no workaround or toggle to show the page # or percentage of completion?

I really want to like this reader but it doesn't seem to be better than CoolReader or MoonReader without those basics.

Is it just the nicer UI that people like or am I missing something else? Or is it that it handles pdf's better? I pretty much only read epub so maybe I'm missing the nice pdf functionality.
How do you get an accurate page number to show on Moon+? I don't know how the app comes up with those numbers. 412 page book appears as a 963 page one in the app. The developer admits that feature is buggy. I don't believe I'v missed an update fix.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #239
SteveMB
SteveMB began at the beginning.

Device: Toshiba Thrive (Honeycomb Tablet); Touch Pro 2 (WinMo Phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
I downloaded the trial -- it looks good except for one big problem: the font won't change from default even after downloading the font pack and selecting a different option in the theme. I had the same problem with Aldiko, so it could be a problem with the device configuration or the eBooks (converted from filtered-HTML Word docs via Calibre).

(Toshiba Thrive running Honeycomb)
Addendum: Stripping out font references in the ePub file solved part of the problem -- the base text will show in the selected font and line spacing, but any italic or bold text will revert to the default font (which actually make the situation worse because it clashes so badly).
SteveMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #240
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
It can justify text, too. I don't have the reader with me but I can tell you that you need to go through your settings. I used justified text myself.
Thanks I found it!

I have Cool Reader and do like it but the font rendering is not as good as Mantano which is my only complaint with that app. It Could be my phone that makes the fonts look bad but since buying Mantano I nightly read books on my little 3.2" screen because it looks so good and easy on the eyes. The Tahoma font looks amazing on Mantano!

My problem was other then the Cool Reader app, Mantano is the only app that can use Calibre's style sheets correctly and still be able customize the text, background and margins. Moon+ Reader is just plain text unless the book uses html tags for Italics, Bold...etc...Cool Reader can most of the time but the font rendering needs improvement for small screens so I am very happy to have bought Mantano because it works well for me.

I started off with Cool Reader then switch to Moon+ Reader and now use Mantano all the time now.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote