Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #16
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
Sounds like both are excellent

Before my comments, more questions:
1) Do they charge via USB or with power adapters?
2) Will they need protective cases or are they sturdy without them?

Thanks for all of the info. Now that several people have opined, it sounds like both devices can be used to drag and drop files through a file manager (without any special ebook software). I would tend to agree that being able to do it on any computer or device with an SD drive is a slight advantage, but even with the Nook that'll be possible, if somewhat less convenient. It's too bad the web browser can't directly download books from non-B&N websites yet...

Anyway, the reality at this point is that I am going to check them out in the stores, and probably will make my decision based on screen quality, since most of the other factors seem to cancel out for me (quick summary below):

Advantages Nook :
Slightly better contrast
Slightly faster page turn speed (possibly could change after software updates)
Wifi means email in a pinch
Can purchase books in a pinch (though I won't)
MP3 player in a pinch
Ambidextrous
In-store support
Can handle more filetypes (though Calibre makes this less important)

Advantage Kobo
Lighter
Battery life
Slightly easier to add files in a pinch via external card

So, the Nook has more advantages, but they tend to be small, except for the screen quality. I'm really going to have to look at them (I already eliminated the Sony 600 because the screen wasn't quite as good).

If I consider readability to be equivalent, I'll probably get the Kobo, mainly because I am somewhat paranoid with regards to privacy (and yes, I'm aware that people are already tracking my supermarket behavior, my web habits, etc.). The thing is, the whole Amazon scandal where they deleted books off the device still creeps me out, and I don't really want that to even be possible.

If I consider B&N readability to be clearly better for me, I'll get it. Both devices are good, and my privacy issue is illogical! And if they don't have the Kobo at Borders, then I'll probably just end up with the Nook.
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #17
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Do they charge via USB or with power adapters?

The Kobo charges via an included USB-to-mini-USB cable. Or, of course, any of your 300-700mAH AC wall warts that accommodate USB cables will also charge your Kobo.

>> ... Will they need protective cases or are they sturdy without them?

The very first time you scratch your eReader - whether because you dropped your keys on it or had something slide against it in your briefcase - whatever - you would have desired a case.

Personally, ALL my electronics screens (GPS, PDAs, phones, cameras, eReaders) have InvisibleShield screen protectors on them. And for my Kobo, I have purchased an inexpensive "authentic imitation leather" case off of eBay. AND also cut myself a DVD case that is REALLY slick (thread on this elsewhere ... I'll post pics later).

>> ... Nook's better screen quality ...

I do not understand the claim that having three billion shades of grey makes READING TEXT any "better" than what my meager Kobo does for me. I cannot imagine "more legible" text than the Kobo's sans serif font that I am using.

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Also peruse the thread, "Why I bought my Kobo" that is on the Kobo messagebase.

I have a Kindle2 (my wife's) and my Kobo. And I can see where the Kindle2 is superior. But I am enjoying my Kobo - for READING BOOKS.

If I had Web access, I'd be messing around with it. I already have an iPod touch and other devices for listening to music. I do not expect my eReader to give me high-res photos reproduction. The Kobo is an excellent eREADER for READING BOOKS.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... Do they charge via USB or with power adapters?

The Kobo charges via an included USB-to-mini-USB cable. Or, of course, any of your 300-700mAH AC wall warts that accommodate USB cables will also charge your Kobo.

>> ... Will they need protective cases or are they sturdy without them?

The very first time you scratch your eReader - whether because you dropped your keys on it or had something slide against it in your briefcase - whatever - you would have desired a case.

Personally, ALL my electronics screens (GPS, PDAs, phones, cameras, eReaders) have InvisibleShield screen protectors on them. And for my Kobo, I have purchased an inexpensive "authentic imitation leather" case off of eBay. AND also cut myself a DVD case that is REALLY slick (thread on this elsewhere ... I'll post pics later).

>> ... Nook's better screen quality ...

I do not understand the claim that having three billion shades of grey makes READING TEXT any "better" than what my meager Kobo does for me. I cannot imagine "more legible" text than the Kobo's sans serif font that I am using.

Clint Bradford
The shades of gray have nothing to do with it. It is the poorer contrast and the fact that the text is lighter and not as sharply defined as the Nook or Kindle. Watch the CNET video review of the Kobo if you don't believe me.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #20
Grierson Huffman
Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Too many!
The nook (it pains me still not to capitalize the name) has the best contrast and background of the readers of similar size and weight that are currently available. Though there remain long strides to be made, I am sold on eInk as a technology for serious readers.
Grierson Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #21
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
The nook does charge with USB/computer. I charge my nook this way since my USB cable is always plugged into my computer.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #22
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Was reading specs on the screen sizes for screen protectors and they all vary just a tad, enough that one screen protector will not fit all...
I buy lots of books discounted from Dieselbooks and a couple of other internet stores and also download Adobe DRM ebooks from my library. Calibre and Stanza convert most fomats to epub so I don't think it matter too much which format which reader uses.
I just do not like to sync my library to a retail store and have them hold my library in their space. ...The Kobo also has syncing software, but I"ve never used it. It just irritates me to think of that when I buy an expensive ereader, someone has a captive client for purchasing.. If that were the case, they should have furnished the hardware to me for nothing...I value my independant abitilty to shop where I choose.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #23
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Was reading specs on the screen sizes for screen protectors and they all vary just a tad, enough that one screen protector will not fit all...
I buy lots of books discounted from Dieselbooks and a couple of other internet stores and also download Adobe DRM ebooks from my library. Calibre and Stanza convert most fomats to epub so I don't think it matter too much which format which reader uses.
I just do not like to sync my library to a retail store and have them hold my library in their space. ...The Kobo also has syncing software, but I"ve never used it. It just irritates me to think of that when I buy an expensive ereader, someone has a captive client for purchasing.. If that were the case, they should have furnished the hardware to me for nothing...I value my independant abitilty to shop where I choose.
The only books that are held by Barnes and Noble are the archived ones so that you can re-download them at any time. You can also back them up on your PC if you would like through the Barnes and Noble desktop. The Kobo does the same thing.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #24
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Nook is only wifi'd to Barnes and Noble.
Sorry, was wrong of screen size. Both then I guess are slightly larger than Sony.
It IS a big deal that the SD card can't come in and out of ereader easily, not because of the size of the gigs stored, but because you can't use it to load books. ie, instead of syncing to computer, you can drag and drop books onto whatever folders you choose to create on card and and then pop books into the ereader instead of hooking up cables and syncing, and in Nooks case only through B & N software which controls your library, what you keep and delete and your library goes back to them... I did not like any of this ......
Wow, again you are completely wrong! I don't care if you like the Kobo more; to each his own. Just don't lie about the other devices.

1. The wifi in the Nook is NOT LIMITED TO JUST BARNES AND NOBLE. I use it at home, at hotels, hotspots, etc.

2. How is plugging in an SD Card and dragging and dropping in folders any easier than plugging in a USB cable and dragging and dropping in folders (either internally, or on the micro sd card)? You DON'T NEED B&N SOFTWARE TO DO THIS. The computer sees the internal memory and the micro sd card as two different drives. Simple drag and drop, NOT SYNC. How many desktops/laptops have built in card slots? Compare that to how many have USB ports! Taking the card out easily does not matter when you can simply plug in a USB cord and drag and drop into the My Library folders. Oh, and if you are talking about books you buy from Barnes and Noble, you don't have to do any of this. They will automatically download to your device as soon as you connect to wifi (any wifi). If you have 3g, you can buy and download from almost anywhere.

Whew, sorry to rant so much. So many nook haters out there who have nothing but negative untruths to spout about it. It may not be the best device for everybody, but there is no reason to needlessly trash it. There are many great devices out there for different users. Lets just keep the discussions honest.

Last edited by Noah98; 07-25-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #25
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
Hey Noah, I understand your clarifications. It's clear that the people on the forums who have purchased both products have been pretty happy. I think it is also clear that the Nook offers more features for the money, while the Kobo is lighter and has longer battery life. As I said before, my final decision will come down to whether I think the slight inferiority of the Kobo's screen will bother me.
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #26
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingduct View Post
Hey Noah, I understand your clarifications. It's clear that the people on the forums who have purchased both products have been pretty happy. I think it is also clear that the Nook offers more features for the money, while the Kobo is lighter and has longer battery life. As I said before, my final decision will come down to whether I think the slight inferiority of the Kobo's screen will bother me.
Either way, I'm sure you will be happy. They are both nice devices. I am glad that you have an accurate view of both so that you can make the best decisions to meet your needs!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #27
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... The shades of gray have nothing to do with it. It is the poorer contrast and the fact that the text is lighter and not as sharply defined as the Nook or Kindle. Watch the CNET video review of the Kobo if you don't believe me.

>> ... whether I think the slight inferiority of the Kobo's screen will bother me ...

From someone who owns both a Kindle2 and a Kobo - I cannot think of a more legible reading experience than my Kobo and its built-in sans serif font. Whether in bright conditions, low-light conditions, or with an LED clip-on, the Kobo is wonderfully readable.

Whether a Nook or Kobo or Kindle2 - they are all three quality units. My recommendation? Purchase one - now. And start enjoying the eReading experience as soon as you can.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #28
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Well, I don't really think the two devices are in the same league except that they are in the similar price range. The Kobo is a good ereader. The Nook is a good ereader plus it offers the following additional features to enhance other non reading related experiences:

1) WiFi for download books, unlimited web browsing and firmware update.
2) MP3 player
3) Color LCD for navigation and showing of book covers

Based on the reviews, as an ereader, the Nook has better contrast and the Kobo has better battery life. However, the Nook features appeals to people that want more than just an ereader and who appreciate the real advantages of having WiFi/3G which is designed to reduce as much as possible, tethering of a computer. Besides downloading books, it enables automatic firmware update and minimizes potential problems due to various computer platforms.

Comparing the Kobo and the Nook is like comparing a Honda with a BMW. They are both good cars that transport its end users from point A to point B. Honda weights less and has better mileage while BMW has a ton more features. However, as we all know, these two cars appeal to different people and are priced very differently. The same should have applied to the Nook and Kobo. These two devices appeal to different end users and frankly, they shouldn’t be in the same price range but since they currently are, it can only mean either the Nook is underpriced or the Kobo is overpriced.

I am not recommending everyone should go with the Nook; some people do not like and do not need frills. However, a product has to be priced correctly according to its features and more so, the peers in its industry in order to stay competitive. Based on various forecast, before this Christmas season, the more featured ereaders like the Nook and Kindle will drop to close to $100 range and the no frills one much lower. Therefore, if someone is waiting for a bare bone no frills basic entry level ereader, you might want to hold off until the big price drop.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #29
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I have to disagree with most of what dixieknits said.

1. The back cover of the Nook is very easy to take off, without tools. It has simple tabs. Also, while it's off you can replace or change out the battery. I'd rather my micro sd card be there where it will not accidentally pop out.

2. You can easily drag and drop ebooks into the my library folder through USB either in the internal memory, or the sd card. No management software needed at all! The only software you need is Adobe Digital Editions if you want to checkout Overdrive Library Books. Kobo requires the same. I think that is where dixieknits is confused.

3. The Kobo screen is not larger. They are both 6 inches.

4. Kobo ink clarity is not the same. Watch the video review on CNET.com and they specifically mention that the Kobo screen is not as clear as the Kindle or Nook.
Yeah Noah hit the nail on the head, dixeknits was wrong on almost every point.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #30
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Nook is only wifi'd to Barnes and Noble.
Sorry, was wrong of screen size. Both then I guess are slightly larger than Sony.
It IS a big deal that the SD card can't come in and out of ereader easily, not because of the size of the gigs stored, but because you can't use it to load books. ie, instead of syncing to computer, you can drag and drop books onto whatever folders you choose to create on card and and then pop books into the ereader instead of hooking up cables and syncing, and in Nooks case only through B & N software which controls your library, what you keep and delete and your library goes back to them... I did not like any of this ......

Say what? The nook hooks up to any wi fi, not sure who is feeding this information.

Taking the back off is extremely simple, beyond simple, to acces the nooks micro sd card slot.
Have you actully done any research on the Nook?

Last edited by boswd; 07-25-2010 at 05:53 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote