Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #376
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Just past 20k pages, finished my goal there but only 54 out of 85 books to finish. I am hoping to get to the finish line by new years day. I know how that is Home in My Shoes, my TBR stack seems to keep multiplying like rabits.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #377
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
After not reading for two months from April to June (very unusual) I am finally back on track to meet my goal. Of course, the goal is not about meeting goals but enjoying books. Keeping track of books read is something I wish I had begun long ago. It is enjoyable to look back over the list and remember each one.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #378
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
After not reading for two months from April to June (very unusual) I am finally back on track to meet my goal. Of course, the goal is not about meeting goals but enjoying books. Keeping track of books read is something I wish I had begun long ago. It is enjoyable to look back over the list and remember each one.
It's one of the main reasons I do it now. I just wish I'd started keeping track long ago. Still, the record from 2010 onwards is interesting (to me).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #379
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Yep, I love seeing all the books I've read. I try to mark those I've read prior to 2011 without a read date on GoodReads as well, but I know the list is sadly lacking in many respects. I can't remember all of the things I read in high school, but it's still fun.

I can't believe I'm approaching 200 books reads since the beginning of 2011 now. Just way too many and I know I would have forgotten them without these challenges and GoodReads.

I am officially one book away from finishing my year in the life challenge.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #380
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I am officially one book away from finishing my year in the life challenge.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #381
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I completely agree. I wish I had done this a long time ago too.

One side effect is that I my not do as much re-reading as I go forward as I used to do - having the record of what I read, what I thought, and when has so far encouraged me to not re-read as much as I used to. I will still re-read anything I read before I started keeping records, but I haven't re-read anything that I have read since January 2011.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #382
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Well, I didn't intend to take the summer off, reading wise, but thats exactly what happened, so I'm now about 8 or 9 books behind schedule.

To get me going again, I'm currently reading Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #383
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here we are, 2/3rds of the way through the year. How are people doing?

I should have bought no more than 80 books by now. I've bought 118. I know that I'll be buying at least another 19 over the rest of the year, and probably a few more. Not too far off my goal, but I'm definitely not going to make that one.

Reading-wise, I've read 139 so far this year, which means that I'm on course for 200 or so by the end of the year, about the same as in 2011 (although in 2011 I was at 151 on 1st September), but more than 2012 (121 on 1st September) and 2010 (114 on 1st September).

In terms of my TBR pile, I've reduced it by 19 so far this year. Well, that is if I ignore the re-organisation of my books that has turned up quite a few more unread books. But I'm not going to reset my count until the start of next year. However, if I can restrain my buying a bit over the next four months and keep up my reading, I MIGHT make my target for reduction in my TBR to 240 or less.

(In fact, next year my TBR will be over 600, although quite a few of those newly discovered 'unread' books are short stories from fictionwise. I hope to be able to reduce my TBR considerably next year, through reading the shorts, or finding out that I've already read them in anthology form.)
Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #384
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm doing appallingly badly at reducing my TBR, which was my main goal for the year, but pretty well on my other sub-challenges, and much better than I imagined on my total book count.

I've reduced my TBR by, uh, -121, but I have already read 50 works, which is something I didn't really expect to achieve this year. Yes, a fair chunk of them are short stories, novelettes and novellas from the Hugo packet, which I also read but didn't count last year (I was only counting books last time, but this time I'm counting anything that's listed separately on my TBR) but I think I'm still ahead of where I expected to be in terms of the volume read.

If only I hadn't developed this second-hand pbook problem. Well, I say problem, it's more of a fun hobby.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #385
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've just finished my 78th book of the years, according to GoodReads that means I'm 9 books ahead of schedule of reading 104 books. So that's going well.

My challenge of reading 10 classics this year isn't going so well, as is reading a book published in every year since I was born, though when I started the latter challenge I decided I would give myself two years for finishing this challenge so I could still make it easily next year. Also, my ongoing challenge of not having too many series going at the same time isn't going too well either.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #386
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I'm pretty much up to date with my challenge. However, I've just abandoned a book that I spent three days trying to get into. I'm wondering how/if to count it. It took time away from something that could have been enjoyed and completed and this is only the second time ever that I have stopped reading a book midway.

Maybe I'll count it as a half - what do you do in the same circumstances?
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #387
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
I'm pretty much up to date with my challenge. However, I've just abandoned a book that I spent three days trying to get into. I'm wondering how/if to count it. It took time away from something that could have been enjoyed and completed and this is only the second time ever that I have stopped reading a book midway.

I count it as a book read. Although I do note [ABANDONED] in my comment about it in my book list.

I'm getting more willing to abandon books, especially as I read books from my TBR list that have been on the TBR list for a few years.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #388
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post

One of the good things for these challenges is that we each get to make our own rules, so do whatever feels right for the intent of your challenge.

Personally, I don't count books that I abandon, but that is just me. Of course I generally know I am going to meet my goal without it, so the decision isn't hard for me.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #389
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I gave it a half!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #390
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Reducing my TBR pile seems to be an illusion, I have read quite a few library books and purchased more books than read from the pile.

With regards to the number of books read, I am doing pretty well, with over 60 books read out of 75 projected. I am not sure how I will do for the rest of the year (and next year at that) since we're most likely buying a house in the next few weeks and then move and start renovating. There's no doubt that will impair significantly on the time I have available for reading, but I am looking forward for it none-the less (anybody a tip for useful DYI forums? ).
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote