Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #61
harryzee
harryzee doesn't litterharryzee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX with 3.2.1/Nook HD+ with internal 4.2.2
I was afraid that might be the answer...thanks for clarifying it.

Imagine this dialogue at the pre launch NC software development table:

"Hey, let's put some banners on the books that don't always function as they should, that most readers won't want and will find annoying, and then not give them an option to turn the function off!

Why waste time on a useful (and simple) notepad feature that almost everyone would want and use when we could do this instead!!"

Yes, I know the above is really cynical.

Harry Zee
harryzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #62
tmwwjd
tmwwjd began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Rooted?

I keep seeing people mention rooted. What does that mean?
tmwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #63
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwwjd View Post
I keep seeing people mention rooted. What does that mean?
Rooting means getting superuser privileges (it's jailbreaking), so you can modify the device and install apps as you please. There are plenty of threads on how to do so, should you wish to try.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #64
rhaya96
rhaya96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Lightbulb Rooting

When you root (jailbreak) the device does that mean you've completely voided the warranty on the device or is there a way to go back? Also, if one chooses to root the device will it still be able to be updated when the new version is finally available? (I just got my device this week and am trying to weigh my options)
rhaya96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #65
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaya96 View Post
When you root (jailbreak) the device does that mean you've completely voided the warranty on the device or is there a way to go back? Also, if one chooses to root the device will it still be able to be updated when the new version is finally available? (I just got my device this week and am trying to weigh my options)
After you root there is a way to flash back to factory settings so you can update it to the newest stock version or re-root. Technically if you didn't flash back to the factory settings your warranty would be voided. I bought an accidental damage warranty from Square Trade for $30 and they don't care what you do to your device.

Also, if you install a app called Clockwork Recovery I don't think you can flash back to stock. I think you have to do something else to get there. All this info is in the Nook Developers sub-forum.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #66
rhaya96
rhaya96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks. I bought that 2-year warranty and I'd hate to think I wasted $50. I might look into that Square Trade deal though. Thanks

I'm a gadget lover so it will only be a matter of time before I start "tinkering" :-)
rhaya96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #67
jimlfitz
Oregon Nook Color Rookie
jimlfitz began at the beginning.

How do you get rid of the 'sample' books that you download to check out and then decide you don't want the book.
jimlfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #68
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlfitz View Post
How do you get rid of the 'sample' books that you download to check out and then decide you don't want the book.
You need to delete them in your Nook Library by logging into your BN account on your computer. Hit the sync button on your NC if it doesn't show up to refresh your books. It would be nice if you could delete them directly from your NC.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #69
jimlfitz
Oregon Nook Color Rookie
jimlfitz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
You need to delete them in your Nook Library by logging into your BN account on your computer. Hit the sync button on your NC if it doesn't show up to refresh your books. It would be nice if you could delete them directly from your NC.
Thanks. I'll give it a go.
jimlfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #70
acorrow
acorrow began at the beginning.

help

How do I erase some of these books I've Downloaded? At this rate i'll fill my nook in no time and with all this extra stuff I've gotten by accident its getting difficult to find my new downloads.
acorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 AM   #71
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorrow View Post
How do I erase some of these books I've Downloaded? At this rate i'll fill my nook in no time and with all this extra stuff I've gotten by accident its getting difficult to find my new downloads.
I assume you mean books you've downloaded from B&N? Go to Library > books and find the book that you want to get rid. Hold your finger on it and select "Archive" from the pop-up menu.

Whenever you want to re-download the book, go to Library > my shelves. Scroll through your shelves and find the one called "Archived". Find the book that you want to re-download. Hold your finger on it and select "Unarchive" from the pop-up menu.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #72
JadeCat
JadeCat began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
Hi All, This is my first post here.

I got my Nook Color a week ago and am really excited about it. I've d/l'd books from BN just fine. I installed ADE yesterday and d/l'd several Adobe free books from that site (where I got ADE) and was able to move them into the NC using ADE just fine. But I was not able to move a book that was offered for free, Einstein's Shutter, from this site: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/10794

I clicked on this format: Epub (open industry format, good for Stanza reader, others), chose "OPEN" and it opened into ADE, and I could actually read the book within ADE, but when I went to library mode and tried to move it to the NC, it was no longer visible as a book on ADE. I'd sure like to know what to do to get this into my NC.

Thanks for any suggestions.
JadeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #73
JadeCat
JadeCat began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
Hi again,

I've just found an answer that worked for me in the FaceBook Nook Discussion forum. Here it is for anyone else that might have the same problem:

(From Sarah)
"When I sideload content from places like sony, smashwords, etc, I have to manually import it into ADE. (these are all epub files.) first I download the books to my computer, into a file folder I've created for ebooks. then go to the dropdown "library" menu and choose "add item to library". open that ebook folder, select the new books, and you should be good to go.

This usually works for me when a book does not automatically open in adobe, like books from the public library do."
JadeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #74
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I have a simple question about the non-rooted Color Nook's browser. On the address line, is there a way to move the cursor without removing the characters that are already there? I mean, for example, if I type in a long address and see that I made a typo in the middle of it somewhere, the only way I can see to fix it is to backspace back to the bad character, erasing characters as I go. With a regular PC, of course, you can use the arrow keys to go back without deleting characters.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #75
nkd431
Enthusiast
nkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Nokia N810, Nook 3G, Nook Color, Nook HD+
It is a touchscreen so you can touch in between the letters in question and then delete or backspace as required.
nkd431 is offline   Reply With Quote