Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-17-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
mwatson
mwatson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Kobo Arcs have a defect

I would not buy a Kobo Arc. I paid almost $300 for my Arc 14 months ago - I have used it lightly on vacation and not for a few months. Went to charge it up the other day and it would not charge - the USB port is not taking a charge. If I held it in really hard and wiggled the cord it would charge as I was holding it but would stop when I let go. After 2x charging it this way something inside broke off and now I can't even get the cord in. Kobo customer care is not willing to repair or replace. I went on-line and found that many others have had the same problem. Customer service was strange - phoned me twice after 9:00 pm and came up as UNKNOWN name and number. I will not by another of their products.
mwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
fordman
fordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Wifi, PW2
My wife had a kobo arc that she bought 18 months ago. A couple of weeks ago it wouldn't charge either. Some of the soldering broke where it was plugged in. We were not to upset though as the thing had a ton of usage. Instead of trying to get it fixed she just bought another one for half the price (here in Canada) than her first one. Then I went last week and bought one for myself which included a Kobo sleepcover for $110 cdn. Can't beat that deal on a pretty decent tablet. Just have to be careful when plugging in charging cord. I think there have been other tablets that have suffered from that same issue (ie Samsung Tabs)
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
My Kindle Fire 1st Gen had a similar issue with the charging port. It was out of warranty, but Amazon gave me a great discount on a Fire HD to replace it.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I believe the original Nexus 7 (2012) tablet had a similar problem.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defects, don't buy a kobo, kobo arc