Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Not doing a good job keeping my place

Let's say I sit down to read, and start at page 153 and reach 194. Sometiemes, the next time I pick up my nook (simple touch), it's back on page 153. More than somtimes even. I bet half the time. Does anyone else have this happen? Do you know if there's a solution? It's like someone took a bookmark out of my book or something. Irritating.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I find the Nook is not too good as synchronizing between devices. Unlike the Kindle, for example, which opens to the furthest position in the book that was last open, the Nook opens the book to the last position in the book that was opened on any device. So if you, say, open the Nook app on the iPad and it goes to page 153, then when you open the same book on the Nook STR it will try to go page 153, even though you may have read as far as 194.

I just try to leave the wifi off on my STR all the time so that won't happen. If I'm reading on my iPad or iPod touch I will find where I was in the book by myself.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I find the Nook is not too good as synchronizing between devices.
But it doesn't sound like he is having a sync problem. It sounds like he is just using one device and it isn't remembering the last page he stopped on.

I have a Touch and I have never had that problem. My only suggestion would be to try to train yourself to set a bookmark on your most recent page. I kind of do that anyway, even though i really don't have to. Then when I start reading again later, I turn it off.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
But it doesn't sound like he is having a sync problem. It sounds like he is just using one device and it isn't remembering the last page he stopped on.
His info says he has a Nook STR, a Nook Tablet, and an iPad 2. I made an assumption that there was some kind of synchronization problem going on, because the only time I've had my Nook try to open a book to the wrong page, it's because I've opened that book on another device.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
His info says he has a Nook STR, a Nook Tablet, and an iPad 2. I made an assumption that there was some kind of synchronization problem going on, because the only time I've had my Nook try to open a book to the wrong page, it's because I've opened that book on another device.
I see what you mean. In fact, maybe you have hit upon something. Depending on what device he has WiFi turned ON, it may be affecting other devices somehow. Perhaps just using his Tablet for say picking up email or browsing is resetting the last page read to an earlier page, even if he isn't really reading the book on it? Then when he goes to read the book on the Touch, it gets reset or something like that.

I think the answer would be to make sure the Touch has WiFi OFF, which is usually what you want anyway (unless you are buying something, for example).
Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
No, I'm just reading on the NST. My daughter uses the tablet, and I use the iPad mainly for other things, unless I'm reading something with pictures for some reason (like some nonfiction.)

I'll try to remember to use a bookmark.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
harrybosch5150
harrybosch5150 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I have the same problem on my Nook Color. Sometimes when I come back it's on page 1. I only use the Nook Color so it's not a sync issue. To the original posts comments, it can be very frustrating.
harrybosch5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
RAH
Guru

Actually, now I'm having this problem too! It must be contagious, from reading this thread!

With my NST, it happens if I am reading a book and then push the N button at the bottom to check my battery level (go to Settings). When I then click the book icon on the screen to return to the book I'm reading, it send me back to page 1. Grrrr!

I found a work-around for this particular condition and maybe it will work for others. If I go back to the Library and pick the book from there, it returns me to the last page I was reading.

I also would say this seems to only happen on a side-loaded book. Any book I have purchased from B&N seems to work OK. At least for now...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
tecweston
Comic book artist

Yeah, the thing about going back to page 1 happens to me on a lot of side-loaded books. I only open a book from the library screen for that reason.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #10
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
Let's say I sit down to read, and start at page 153 and reach 194. Sometiemes, the next time I pick up my nook (simple touch), it's back on page 153. More than somtimes even. I bet half the time. Does anyone else have this happen? Do you know if there's a solution? It's like someone took a bookmark out of my book or something. Irritating.
I have this problem with my new Nook Touch but it has nothing to do with side loaded books because I have none on the NT. It happens while I read in store.

When I go back to read in store I spend 5 minutes of my hour free reading time trying to find where I left off. When the time is up on in-store reading one isn't given the opportunity/ability to bookmark a page either.

This was never a problem with my Nook Classic. I am kinda sad since the read in store feature is the basic reason I finally upgraded my Nook hardware.

Anyone find a fix for this yet? I found this thread while searching for a solution to this very problem.

Thanks for reading.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #11
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
My STR refuses to remember some bookmarks, and sometimes when I turn it on it's at the home page.

Fortunately, I don't read multiple books at one go, so it's easy for me to go through the book and find the page at which I left off. It is slightly annoying sometimes though, plus the battery problem it has been having... Probably my abusing it has left it temperamental.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Yep same issues here with my bookmarks.

I don't ever truly lose my marks (not yet anyway...). For example, if tap on the open book icon on the top left hand side--it doesn't go to the last bookmark. So I then have to go the bookshelf and look for my book--once I open it, it's on the page where I last left off. That's why this glitch hasn't bugged me. Now if my bookmarks are well and truly lost and I can't get back to where I last left off for anything I've read, I'd be ticked off and whinging about it here! But I find that the NST usually allows for at least 2 ways to get to a bookmark and though one has a habit of not working, the 2nd one usually works.

Last edited by tdonline; 06-23-2012 at 07:43 PM.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The only similar problem I've had is when I get the "page 1 of 1" error in the home screen. But it happens so rarely that it doesn't bother me much at all.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I´ve had it even worse. I finished a book, started on another, and the bookmarks and notes I had on the other book magically appeared on the new book. I erased everyting and started over again and seems to have gone correctly after that. I have two books open now and the bookmarks are right now!
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
karlment
karlment began at the beginning.

Device: batman
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiart View Post
The only similar problem I've had is when I get the "page 1 of 1" error in the home screen. But it happens so rarely that it doesn't bother me much at all.
Ganz ruhig bleiben - natürlich ist es normal, wenn man für Joomla 2.5 Templates einen kleinen Obulus bezahlen muss (wie es derzeit bei http://www.joomla25templates.net der Fall ist) und sich daher nicht im Stande sieht, eine kostenlose Version zu nutzen. Vielmehr sollte man danach Ausschau halten, ob die aktuelle externe Festplatte auch einen SD-Kartenslot hat und eine USB 3.0 Verbindung ermöglicht. Bei meinem SSD Festplatten Test wurde auf diese Dinge viel Wert gelegt, auch wenn es die üblichen Kriterien bei jedem externe Festplatte Test der Computerbild sind.

Quellen:
http://ssdfestplattentest.blogster.de/
http://www.kiwibox.com/nailstk/blog/...0-modelle-sin/
http://festplatten-test.npage.de/

Last edited by karlment; 11-18-2013 at 07:49 AM.
karlment is offline   Reply With Quote