Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
What self-pub outlets are there outside the U.S.?

I'm not a big fan of geographic restrictions, but I've found myself in a somewhat unusual position. My novel Sunborn is currently available as an ebook only in the U.S., through Tor/Macmillan. I'd misunderstood the terms and thought they were publishing worldwide--but it turns out I control the rights outside the U.S. Readers are asking, and I want to make it available. But...I have to do it in a way that doesn't infringe on Tor's U.S. rights. My question is whether there are venues to do that through self-publishing.

Amazon UK and Amazon DE are the obvious places to start. I know about those, but they don't serve the ePub audience, and I want to serve those readers, as well. At the moment, I'm stumped.

XinXii might be a possibility, but they don't do geographic restrictions.

Are there others?

Thanks.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Not sure about epub but for the Kindle, use Amazon.com, Amazon UK, and Amazon DE. All you have to do is exclude the United States from the "publishing territories" on the "Rights & Pricing" page of the KDP submission.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, yes, I did say that in my original post.

I gather from this forum that ePub is very popular in Europe, and that's what I'm trying to figure out how to reach.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Jeffrey,

You might want to contact Diane Duane via e-mail; she's (supposedly, according to her site, being in the US I can't see them!) selling georestricted versions of her books through Kobo and iBooks.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Amazon is the only UK ebook distributor who will let non-publishers upload to them. You could always do what other writers do and tell people how to convert them to epub themselves. Or have a mail-in offer where they email you the mobi and you send them an epub.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Apparently Kobo is setting up a self-pub area. Teleread had an article about it a week ago. No details yet, but it shouldn't be too hard to get in touch with them. I think their people even check the Kobo forum here from time to time.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Amazon is the only UK ebook distributor who will let non-publishers upload to them. You could always do what other writers do and tell people how to convert them to epub themselves. Or have a mail-in offer where they email you the mobi and you send them an epub.
Telling people how to convert to ePub is (in effect) talking down to people who use ePub as their preferred format. And that is not something you want to do. Also being only at Amazon is saying ePub users are not important. Can't do that either. Making them buy from Amazon is also a bad idea. A lot of us who use ePub don't want to buy eBooks from Amazon.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 AM   #8
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Jeffrey,

You might want to contact Diane Duane via e-mail; she's (supposedly, according to her site, being in the US I can't see them!) selling georestricted versions of her books through Kobo and iBooks.
Thanks for that tip! I see the info you're talking about on her website. Diane's an old friend, so I'll see if she can enlighten me.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:43 AM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

And I actually just found some info on the Kobo website for authors, and have sent them a query.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
And I actually just found some info on the Kobo website for authors, and have sent them a query.
I hope that works out. The more places for authors to self-publish in ePub that's not Smashwords, the better.

I do have a major issue with B&N though. They allow self-publishing and they get from Smashwords. So how do I know if the eBook I an getting is from Smashwords or not. But one issue I've found is that a lot of self-published authors have no clue what they are doing and just take a Word document and convert it to ePub and we (the readers) get a rather poor ePub.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do have a major issue with B&N though. They allow self-publishing and they get from Smashwords. So how do I know if the eBook I an getting is from Smashwords or not.
Well, if you read the sample and it looks like crap, it's probably from Smashwords.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
But...I have to do it in a way that doesn't infringe on Tor's U.S. rights.
What infringes on Tor's US rights? Can it just be sold in a non-US store, or does the store have to prevent Americans from being able to purchase it?
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Well, if you read the sample and it looks like crap, it's probably from Smashwords.
I could look at the code and see how bad it might be. It's fairly easy to see bad Word code.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #14
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do have a major issue with B&N though. They allow self-publishing and they get from Smashwords. So how do I know if the eBook I an getting is from Smashwords or not. But one issue I've found is that a lot of self-published authors have no clue what they are doing and just take a Word document and convert it to ePub and we (the readers) get a rather poor ePub.
I don't know if there's any way to tell. Some affiliate stores do list Smashwords as the publisher, but I don't recall if BN does or not. (I went to BN via SW for a few months, then switched to direct.)

I can't see that your risk is greater either way. Drek can be self-published through any of these channels now. SW at least has formatting requirements that--if you follow them--will likely give you a good Epub conversion. I think it's actually a very good checklist for making a book that will convert with minimal issues.

Anyway, Kobo hasn't answered my query yet, so I'm no closer than before to knowing if this will work.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #15
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
What infringes on Tor's US rights? Can it just be sold in a non-US store, or does the store have to prevent Americans from being able to purchase it?
Well, to do it right, the store should make the book available only to buyers outside the U.S., as Amazon UK restricts buying to people in the UK. I'm waiting to hear from Tor on how sensitive they are on this issue.