Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
PB 602 pro hands on. Satisfied.

My 602 arrived yesterday. Don't know why it went to Montreal first then Toronto but no HST was collected -- a surprise. Here is my first experience with it.

1) Sleek and sturdy. But not only that. I like the wider edge and the fewer buttons. It is easy to hold in any direction. Practical unpretentious pouch.

2) Very good PFD support. I can open pdf file (in Chinese) larger than 200M without much delay. It will remind you it is too big but if you press ok, it will open it in 3-4 seconds. There is only one pdf that didn't open properly. It opens but blank pages. I guess it is because it contains Chinese mixed 7 European languages. Zoom and re-flow work well enough for comfortable long-time reading.

update: The blank pdf can display now after shifting the pdfviewer. Beautiful!

3) Dictionaries work perfectly. I deleted most of pre-installed ones. Got Random House Webster, Oxford, Comprehensive Russian- English, etc. Added Russian TTS. Worked too.

4) I don't have the pearl to compare. The contrast and sharpness are good enough so far.

Over all, worth the 205 $ (including 25 shipping), especially with the 2 year international warranty. It brought a lot of convenience in reading.

Questions:
1) I dragged the additional Asian fonts under System and the root of internal memory but Chinese still does not show, neither in titles nor in the sample Chinese ebooks PB provides. All appear as square. What should I do?
2) Is there a way to cut head and bottom margins in DJVU? One of my file have Chinese laid out vertically. There is not much in every page but because of the big head margin, the bottom of the contents is out of the page. The vertical orientation of the text makes it hard to read without moving the page up and down for every row of characters.
3) It would be better if the TTS shift automatically for the right language. Now if I set Russian in configuration and open an English book, TTS will read the English as Russian. Funny.

Last edited by jshzh; 01-13-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: update
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
Questions:
1) I dragged the additional Asian fonts under System and the root of internal memory but Chinese still does not show, neither in titles nor in the sample Chinese ebooks PB provides. All appear as square. What should I do?
DISCLAIMER: I do not own the new PocketBook, so this is shooting tom the hip.

1. Copy Asian fonts to /system/fonts
2. Go to settings and set interface font to your chosen Chinese one.

BEWARE.
1. Check if said font can display English, so you do not end up with menus in squares
2. note steps needed to switch the font, so if you do end up with menus in squares you can go back ;-)
3. Backup all content you can (Dictionaries and other stuff), so if the steps 1 and 2 don't help, you can still do reset to factory defaults without loosing stuff ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
DISCLAIMER: I do not own the new PocketBook, so this is shooting tom the hip.

1. Copy Asian fonts to /system/fonts
2. Go to settings and set interface font to your chosen Chinese one.

BEWARE.
1. Check if said font can display English, so you do not end up with menus in squares
2. note steps needed to switch the font, so if you do end up with menus in squares you can go back ;-)
3. Backup all content you can (Dictionaries and other stuff), so if the steps 1 and 2 don't help, you can still do reset to factory defaults without loosing stuff ;-)
I did copy the fonts to the fonts folder but when I tried to set the interface, Chinese was not in the list to be selected. In fact, I copied a few font files (true type), including Japanese ones that PB provides. None showed up in the setting.

I also went to "settings" after opening a file and selected a Chinese font but the book contents are still squares. I changed the automatic encoding to one of Asian ones (tried them all) but there was still Chinese characters showing up in the book. :-(
Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
jshzh
Addict

The Chinese fonts problem was solved. One file was misplaced. A bug, I guess.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=Chinese

The blank pdf can display now after shifting the pdfviewer. Beautiful!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
jshzh
Addict

But Chinese file titles still can't display
Advert