Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #91
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Why didn't you just delete them with the Connect software?
I'm on an older Mac (non-intel) so I have no way of using the Connect software.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #92
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I thought Virtual PC worked?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #93
membar
membar began at the beginning.

Re: Now for lots and lots of questions...

Hi Xenophon,

With regards to traversing the folder structure, is creating nested folders something you can do with the Windows Connect Reader software or the PRS500 itself or is this specific to the readerfs implementation?
membar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #94
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by membar
Hi Xenophon,

With regards to traversing the folder structure, is creating nested folders something you can do with the Windows Connect Reader software or the PRS500 itself or is this specific to the readerfs implementation?
Welcome aboard Mohan!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #95
ddesk
Darren
ddesk is on a distinguished road

Device: PPC-6700/PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
So what is their next Sony Reader product? Ifs there going to be a Windows version?
Here at Docudesk, all of our developers use the PRS-500 as they were issued as gifts from the company. The lack of Mac support was obviously a big issue as well as the inability to convert PDF into reflowable/resizable content for the reader. We created the PRS Browser wrapper for ReaderFS for our own convenience and to further the cause of e-paper devices. Our upcoming product is a new version of our existing PDF converter product which creates dynamic BBeB/Lrf output. This new version is also being developed for OS X. Since OS X uses PDFs natively in the print path, we include a workflow for sending printer output directly to the converter, effectively creating an BBeB print driver. We will be posting a technology preview of the Mac and Win32 versions on our Docudesk Labs site later this week. For this preview version, the Lrf output will work indefinitely (past the normal trial period) without having to purchase the software.
ddesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #96
yargoflick
Enthusiast
yargoflick is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
readerfs for linux?

Hello all,

There was a message a while back about readerfs working on a linux distro....

Is there a linux binary, debian package, or a source repository available?

Not looking for a gui, just the command-line mount.

I'm using:
kernel 2.6.17
debian testing

I already have fuse installed (libfuse2 2.5.3-4.1) for encfs,
would that work with this?

Thanks,
Lee
yargoflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #97
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by membar
Hi Xenophon,

Well... I've been managing files on the reader using a SD card and a card-reader hanging off my Mac. A result of this is that I have my books organized in folders by (primary) author, with all of these living inside a folder named 'By Author'.

When I just use the raw FUSE-based filesystem that Scotty wrote, I can copy folders (and their nested contents) smoothly. When I do this with your tool, it doesn't work.

The PRS500 finds the files just fine, and displays them in the usual fashion. I'd sure like to be able to use your nice GUI-based tool to manage my books in a similar fashion. I rather expected to be able to drag-n-drop my 'By Authors' folder and have all its recursive contents copied to the PRS500.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #98
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesk
Here at Docudesk, all of our developers use the PRS-500 as they were issued as gifts from the company. The lack of Mac support was obviously a big issue as well as the inability to convert PDF into reflowable/resizable content for the reader. We created the PRS Browser wrapper for ReaderFS for our own convenience and to further the cause of e-paper devices. Our upcoming product is a new version of our existing PDF converter product which creates dynamic BBeB/Lrf output. This new version is also being developed for OS X. Since OS X uses PDFs natively in the print path, we include a workflow for sending printer output directly to the converter, effectively creating an BBeB print driver. We will be posting a technology preview of the Mac and Win32 versions on our Docudesk Labs site later this week. For this preview version, the Lrf output will work indefinitely (past the normal trial period) without having to purchase the software.
That's super news! Especially the part about the lrf output working indefinitely without purchase. Emphasis in the quote is mine.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:37 AM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesk
That is awesome. I look forward to trying it out. And having the LRF output work indefinately is a really nice bonus. Thank you in advance.

Jon
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 AM   #100
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I thought Virtual PC worked?
You still need a licence for Windows to install it to Virtual PC. And it is not supposed to be an OEM licence.
$250 for a legal way to delete a few files from a simple device ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #101
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
You still need a licence for Windows to install it to Virtual PC. And it is not supposed to be an OEM licence.
$250 for a legal way to delete a few files from a simple device ...
Virtual PC is available with a bundled XP but yeah, a bit pricey for capping a couple of files. :-)
Old 05-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #102
scotty1024
Banned

Lightbulb Warning: A Feisty Readerfs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yargoflick
I'm using:
kernel 2.6.17
debian testing
Here is a readerfs compiled for Feisty Fawn. Let me know if it works for you.

1. Plug in your PRS-500
2. readerfs <name of directory to mount on>
3. ls a/Reader (or whatever)
4. umount <name of directory to mount on>
Attached Files
File Type: zip readerfs-feisty-0.5.zip (7.1 KB, 318 views)
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #103
yargoflick
Enthusiast
yargoflick is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:

1. Plug in your PRS-500
2. readerfs <name of directory to mount on>
3. ls a/Reader (or whatever)
4. umount <name of directory to mount on>
I'm still waiting for the reader stork to deliver, but it should be here in a day or so.
I just wanted to get the software loaded up and running before the great day.

I checked out the binary with ldd and all seems well.

When I first ran it (with no options) it complained that my installed libfuse wasn't
the right version, so I updated to 2.6 and it no longer complains.
(other than telling me I forgot the mount point, which is true).

I'll let ya know how she flies when my baby arrives.

Thanks,
Lee
yargoflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #104
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Works here on Feisty Thanks!!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #105
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
EDIT: The issue discussed in this post is not related to Docudesk or readerfs. It was bad LRF generation on my part (now fixed) and never had anything to do with Docudesk/readerfs.

There was some previous discussion about Metadata, and I think this may be a real problem.

I generated two LRF files with TOCs in the Menu. Just to make sure I'm clear, when you've selected a book, it's entry #5 "Table of Contents" which you can select by pressing 5 on the Reader. So I'm not talking a TOC page, but the TOC menu.

I used Docudesk on one LRF, and after I unmounted/restarted the Reader, it spun for a VERY LONG TIME... generating new metadata I assume. When I went to my new LRF, selected #5 - "Table of Contents" the Reader locked up for over a minute! Once it came back, I was able to select an item. However, if I returned to the TOC Menu, I was dead again for a minute or two. This basically rendered the TOC unusable.

With my second LRF, I used the Connect Software to transfer. Selecting the TOC here had about a 5 second delay, even though it was about the same size as the other LRF. I've generated a few other LRFs with 25 or more TOC entries, and these also worked fine when using Connect to transfer.

Even using Connect to re-transfer the "bad" LRF doesn't help. It looks like the Reader re-uses the Metadata, and it makes determining the problem all that much harder (is it that particular file? is it the metadata? etc.)

The only solution I can think of is reformatting the Reader and starting over (how?). Or maybe I can delete one of the two media.xml files, and the reader will be forced to use the other (assuming the one to delete is in /tmp/database/cache).

Any thoughts?

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 05-15-2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Problem Solved - NOT Docudesk/readerfs
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote