Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #91
qtq
qtq began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505, Aluratek Libre
I have an Aluratek Libre shipped with firmware v0.14e patch v13 about a month and a half ago.

Currently I have the Libre flashed with Chinese firmware v0.44 M218B from the jcnip.com site. I could not find any Aluratek ebook firmware from Aluratek site before I did the flash but had downloaded the Jetbook firmware just in case.

I also went check the Aluratek site from time to time after the flash thinking it is better to have an Aluratek firmware backup. A couple of weeks ago I downloaded an Aluratek ebook firmware v0.15e with the bin file dated Nov 16 2009 file size 28,705 kb. The current Aluratek firmware at the Aluratek site is v0.15h with file size 31,535 kb plus the one page PDF instruction. The v0.15e is smaller and did not come with instruction.

These firmware downloads does not contain release notes about what has been changed, fixed or enhanced so we don't know if Aluratek added the "anti-cross-dipping" protection in v0.15e or v0.15h or simply fixed bugs in v0.15e.

Since I need the Chinese firmware functionality to read those Chinese ebooks in the proprietary format I have never tried to install the Aluratek v0.15e firmware. If any of you want to try v0.15e I'll see if I can find that.

The wishful thinking is the Libre v0.15e firmware does not check if the original firmware/other hardware signature is Aluratek and it can be applied to a Jetbook/Aluratek hardware with either a Jetbook or Libre v0.14e firmware, once the reader has Libre v0.15e firmware it can be upgraded to v0.15h. Similarly to migrate back to Jetbook firmware, first apply (maybe downgrade) Libre v0.15e, then apply the Jetbook firmware. I have no plan to change the Chinese firmware on mine now but think it might work for those who couldn't get back to Jetbook firmware (the big IF is whether Libre v0.15e checks for Aluratek signature).

Last edited by qtq; 12-03-2009 at 11:59 PM.
qtq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #92
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Yeah, you are right. I still wonder if I could figure out the firmware transfers though... hmmm...

I'm just a sucker for new firmware and I want to try the Libre!
Good luck! I hope you will be able to reprogram it back to JetBook firmware
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #93
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Hmm... Seems like I'd want a Libre with a Jetbook dictionary support.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #94
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I just checked the latest promotions on NewEgg website (they sell Toshiba 32" TV for $349.95...) and see jetBook-Lite for $149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723010

jetBook-Lite has DRM support and dictionary support so it can be better choice than Libre
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #95
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
jetBook-Lite has DRM support and dictionary support so it can be better choice than Libre
Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you, Kris. But the whole point of the jetBook Lite going without accessories was to be the eBook reader with the lowest price.

But now that we've seen NewEgg and Dell Canada selling Aluratek Libres on sale at lower prices than $149, I'm not so sure that the flashlight batteries and the dictionary outweigh the pouch, the wall charger and the SD card with books (it so happens!) I want to read.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #96
terrier2006
terrier2006 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
The new Libre Firmware now has DRM support for Adobe Digital Edition ePub and PDF.
terrier2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #97
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier2006 View Post
The new Libre Firmware now has DRM support for Adobe Digital Edition ePub and PDF.
I think what he was saying is that w/ the Jetbook Lite you get both. I would love a dictionary feature for my son especially, but I think I'll wait until Jetbook officially launches the 'rumored' DRM support and then flash it over.
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #98
Toz
Toz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtq View Post
Currently I have the Libre flashed with Chinese firmware v0.44 M218B from the jcnip.com site. I could not find any Aluratek ebook firmware from Aluratek site before I did the flash but had downloaded the Jetbook firmware just in case.
Can you please send it to me
my email is toz[at]fromru.com
Toz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #99
qtq

Sorry Toz I tried my gmail, yahoo mail and my ISP none of them let me send the 28 mb attachment as it exceeds 25 mb.

Following are some notes from my Aluratek to Chinese firmware (Dr Easy) v0.44 upgrade hope it helps:

1. The (jcnip.com) instruction says use an SD card no bigger than 2G to hold your 'firmware' folder. Some users with higher capacity card reported something like file not found / SD card not readable. (this may be left over limitation from really old previous Dr Easy firmware version limiting to 1G/2G SD cards). Some user re-inserted the same SD card it became okay maybe sloppy SD card contact. Not sure if it applies to the Aluratek as the spec says it reads up to 32 G SD card. I did my upgrade on a 1 G card to be on the safe side.

2. The current v0.15h Aluratek PDF instruction says the upgrade will take about 2 minutes. I am surprised. Mine took 2 flashes (Thanks to Kralik I followed Kralik's advice when he did Jetbook to Chinese firmware and vice versa) totalling approximately 20 minutes. My Chinese firmware v0.44 is about 51 mb in size, the Aluratek v0.15h is about 32 mb.

3. Mine went like this:
(ensure unit is fully charged, insert SD card with firmware)
a. Held Right arrow key (next to the ok button)
b. while holding right arrow key, pressed and held Power button for > 5 seconds
c. Aluratek screen showed up
d. screen ask you to confirm software upgrade
e. press OK to continue
f. about 7-8 minutes later a success screen showed up (I think the light at the upper right corner flashes occasionally I am not sure I did not write it down).
g. Powered up my Aluratek, saw scary 'black strip/dust' screen for about 2-3 minute, then Aluratek screen I waited another few minutes to make sure nothing else came up.
h. pressed the RESET key at the back of unit, then waited a minute or two
i. reflash once again (hold right arrow simultaneously hold power button for > 5 seconds)
j. Saw 'black strip/dust' screen for 1-2 minutes
k. Saw screen to confirm software upgrade, press OK
l. Displayed folder to ebook copy files screen for about 7 minutes
m. Saw success screen, (press OK?)
n. RESET, wait for a minute
o. Powered up unit, saw the Dr Easy screen and then Aluratek screen, took about 1-2 minute to boot up the first time.

I also saw someone who used the (Chinese) firmware from an incompatible model and got stuck (blank screen/stuck screen/black dust), support says do the following (I have never tried that):

1. ensure unit is fully charged, RESET unit and wait a minute or two
2. insert the 1 or 2 G SD card with the correct firmware into unit
3. Hold right arrow, simultaneously press and hold Power button for > 5 seconds, indicator light flashes, let go buttons.
4. Wait 2 minutes, screen is blank, wait a while and notice the indicator light flashes, wait 30 minutes then RESET
5. Power up unit and it should work!
6. Instruction did not say have to flash twice possibly because it is a Dr Easy to Dr Easy firmware upgrade. For upgrades between Aluratek and Jetbook it seems it takes 2 flashes.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #100
Toz
Toz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtq View Post
Sorry Toz I tried my gmail, yahoo mail and my ISP none of them let me send the 28 mb attachment as it exceeds 25 mb.
Can you split the archive using winrar or something? It's easy. Pleeease

UPD: I've send device back.. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Toz; 12-04-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Toz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #101
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
The M218B worked, really?
I wonder now if you can get jetBook --> M218B --> Libre.

Note that, yes, two flashes are needed (no point in even trying after the first flash, just flash again).

Here's the link to the Chinese firmware directory:
http://218.240.9.39/soft

And the link to B v. 44:
http://218.240.9.39/soft/M218B044firmware.rar

Though it appears B v. 47 is the newest now.
I'll have to try this soon.

Note: I only tried M218A++27 in the past. The Chinese firmware was fine, but the Libre firmware still didn't work.

Last edited by Kralik; 12-04-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Note
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #102
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No luck getting from jetBook to Libre for me from M218B.

qtq, any chance you could upload the old Aluratek firmware to a free service like http://drop.io ?
Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #103
qtq

I clicked that drop.io link and uploaded the Libre v0.15e file. How do I share it? It didn't ask for creating account or anything and just took the upload file.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #104
Kralik
Guru

When you first visit drop.io, it shows the URL of the file right above the upload dialog. This URL is also loaded in your browser after the upload is completed.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #105
qtq

see if this works, here's the Aluratek Libre firmware v0.15e:

http://drop.io/qlnmxbz