Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Beautiful Topaz

Okay... I mentioned getting a nice topaz file before. I flat out don't buy topaz when I think to check, but sometimes I forget and grab one and then it's too late (well, sometimes I return it.) I decided not to this time, and just took a look.

It's the most beautiful, readable ebook I've ever seen. It made me angry the default kindle font doesn't look like this!

It's one of Oxford's "Very Short Introduction" books. In this case A Very Short Introduction to Paul. But wow.. so readable and crisp! I normally prefer serif fonts but... anyway, it almost makes it worth it being a topaz file as if it wasn't, it wouldn't look like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-27288.gif
Views:	566
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	30232  
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Well, the ragged right is badly done especially around "offering". It really distracts you. This is an example of why you have to hyphenate also when using ragged right.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

That really doesn't bug me. But it could be better...

I'm really just infatuated with the text looking so clear and readable. Doesn't even feel like I'm reading on the Kindle!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Doesn't look very beautiful to me, but the font is nicer than the default one. Aside from the chapter header, you could easily get this sort of experience with any Mobipocket file if Amazon allowed to customize the font and line spacing.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The TOPAZ ebook in question is no longer available on the Kindle, but see Which font is this?. The answer turned out to be ITC Souvenir. An advantage of TOPAZ is that it can embed fonts, but a disadvantage is that they are not anti-aliased. Overall, ePub is much better for embedded fonts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It looks like a photocopy to me. Not all that nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It looks like a photocopy to me. Not all that nice.
A photocopy of what, exactly?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, the ragged right is badly done especially around "offering". It really distracts you. This is an example of why you have to hyphenate also when using ragged right.
Some of us like a ragged right.

BTW, I went in search of the font. It comes with about 7 other fonts, and cost $179.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
A photocopy of what, exactly?
Do you not know what a photocopy is?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you not know what a photocopy is?
Yes, I do. But I also looked at the attached screen shot. It doesn't look like a scanned image; it looks like digital text in an unusual font. It's quite pretty.

Why do you think it's a photocopy?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, I do. But I also looked at the attached screen shot. It doesn't look like a scanned image; it looks like digital text in an unusual font. It's quite pretty.

Why do you think it's a photocopy?
I didn't say it is a photocopy. I said it looks like a photocopy.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
That's the screen-capture thingy on the Kindle. It produces a very "stark" image. I agree that it has the feel of a photocopy.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

All I'm really getting at (and I know how god-awful topaz is) is how wonderfully readable it is. It's true the screenshot really takes something away but this is the most readable ebook I've came across and I was shocked to find it being a topaz file. Shocked because 90% of the topaz files I have had are almost UNREADABLE and besides the whole DRM thing the bad typography has always been my biggest complaint about topaz.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
That's the screen-capture thingy on the Kindle. It produces a very "stark" image. I agree that it has the feel of a photocopy.
So on the actual scree, it looks a lot nicer and not so stark. Thank you for that information.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Some of us like a ragged right.

(That was the closest thing to "raising my hand" in agreement that I could find...)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote