Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
tokyostomp
tokyostomp began at the beginning.

Device: none
eReader for college

Going to college and looking for a ereader that I can purchase textbooks on. Its for community college classes (for now). Also would be awesome to sideload books onto.

Already have a kindle fire but looking for eink reader as they dont allow for tablet distractions like games and apps.

Thinking of paperwhite or glowlight but dont know which has a greater selecton of textbooks
tokyostomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Textbooks, like one for science or math, would be better on a tablet than an eink reader. A tablet would have a larger screen, easier to take notes, etc.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 12-17-2012 at 01:32 AM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Yep, the problem with eInk readers is that they usually have rather small displays, which are perfectly fine for reading but not quite adequate for textbooks and such. I don't know about how the Kobo works, but while the Kindle does support PDFs (which I'm guessing is an ideal format for textbooks), you'll have to scroll through a single page because it won't fit entirely on the screen all at once, and this is inefficient. Some other ereaders like the Nook try to adjust the layout so that you don't have to scroll when reading a page, but the result is that it looks very odd.

Also, more obviously, eInk readers such as the Paperwhite and Kobo Glo cannot display colors, which is a huge downside considering how many of them you have in a textbook.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
IA with ucfgrad93. For textbooks, I don't think 6 inch screen of an e-ink reader is good for a textbook, especially one where you have to highlight and take notes. It's too small.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
VicVega
VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VicVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stick with your pen and paper since E-Readers just aren't fast and comfortable enough to make quick notes, go all the way back from the current page to another page to look up something that's just beeing referred to, etc. You'll get frustrated trying to keep up with your lecturer.

But if you are looking for a device you can simply read your textbooks on while on train, bus etc. I was quite happy with my PRS-350 and will now give the PocketBook Touch a try.
VicVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyostomp View Post
Going to college and looking for a ereader that I can purchase textbooks on. Its for community college classes (for now). Also would be awesome to sideload books onto.

Already have a kindle fire but looking for eink reader as they dont allow for tablet distractions like games and apps.

Thinking of paperwhite or glowlight but dont know which has a greater selecton of textbooks
If it is for your textbooks, I'd check with the college to make sure the books are available as ebooks as well as that you get the most appropriate eReader or (as others indicate) tablet. Otherwise you may be wasting your money.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
tokyostomp

rule out textbooks for now

okay so lets rule out textbooks at this point. I can use kindle fire or another tablet with android if i must.

best ereader (with or without light) that supports sideloading. I don't plan to extensively use the included marketplaces (kindle, b&n, kobo store, etc) I have a rather large collection in calibre and want something i can easily sideload books onto without rooting/hacking. though it isn't a big problem if i have to.

i'm leaning towards the glowlight as it has a microsd card slot. (also helps i can get a employee discount at bestbuy)
Old 12-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
With those requirements, a Kobo Glo would be good: good frontlight, micro SD card, takes just about any format, sideloading from calibre works well (well I think so, but I might be biased), reasonably configurable, shop can be ignored but is OK to use.

From what I've seen, I think people prefer the Kobo Glo over the equivalent Nook. From the people around with both a Paperwhite and a Glo, it seems to be fairly even which is preferred.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
tokyostomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
With those requirements, a Kobo Glo would be good: good frontlight, micro SD card, takes just about any format, sideloading from calibre works well (well I think so, but I might be biased), reasonably configurable, shop can be ignored but is OK to use.

From what I've seen, I think people prefer the Kobo Glo over the equivalent Nook. From the people around with both a Paperwhite and a Glo, it seems to be fairly even which is preferred.
thats cool. i was a little saddend that it didnt have mobi support. not a dealbreaker since calibre can convert them. just have to find a us retailer that sells them

Last edited by tokyostomp; 12-17-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
tats cool. i was a little saddend that it didnt have mobi support. not a dealbreaker since calibre can convert them. just have to find a us retailer that sells them
It does support mobi but for some reason it isn't listed in the specs. The support isn't perfect so I always convert mobi to epub.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
okay so lets rule out textbooks at this point. I can use kindle fire or another tablet with android if i must.

best ereader (with or without light) that supports sideloading. I don't plan to extensively use the included marketplaces (kindle, b&n, kobo store, etc) I have a rather large collection in calibre and want something i can easily sideload books onto without rooting/hacking. though it isn't a big problem if i have to.

i'm leaning towards the glowlight as it has a microsd card slot. (also helps i can get a employee discount at bestbuy)
So sounds like the requirements are not what was originally stated --- college text books --- but more for your personal use.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
tokyostomp

yeah i had originally intended to use it for textbooks but the general consensus is that a erader will not be as good as a tablet for them. so i decided to shift to personal use.

i'm pretty much decided on the glowlight as staples has it for 30% off
Old 12-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
yeah i had originally intended to use it for textbooks but the general consensus is that a erader will not be as good as a tablet for them. so i decided to shift to personal use.

i'm pretty much decided on the glowlight as staples has it for 30% off
Cool! Congrats! Keep us posted, keep in touch!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
tokyostomp

so walked into bestbuy last night and picked up the nookglow for
119.99-30.00=89.99,
they were running some promo to get an additional 10 dollars off if you apply for a bestbuy card. did that and price dropped to 79.99.
had a 20 dollar rewardzone cert so price dropped to 59.99, used a giftcard with about 8 dollars on it, and paid about 55 dollars cash.

good deal, haven't played around with it much