Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Two Amazon accounts for two Kindles or just one?

Wife is asking for my Kindle 3 and instead of lending it, I think is probably better if I give it to her as a gift!

My only concern is that I would prefer not sharing the same account (if possible) Downside, she won't be able to read my books or viceversa (on azw format I mean, with whispersync)

What are my options... Can I transfer via USB or computer an Amazon's book to a different device/account (which was not used for the initial purchase) or will Amazon detects it and delete it from the new device?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
You can have two separate accounts and move your Kindles between accounts at will. De-register, register to correct account, download, move back. You can't copy a DRM'd book from your Kindle to another Kindle though. Amazon doesn't search Kindles for unauthorized content and delete either.

With as many devices as I see under your Avatar and as long as you've been here though - I'm really surprised your not just moving everything into a library management program like Calibre.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Just to add to the good advice you've already received:

The fact that your wife's account was "not used for the initial purchase" doesn't make any difference. It's the account to which the device is registered that counts. It could have been purchased with a totally different account, and even in a different country, and even from a vendor other than Amazon.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I do use Calibre, but when I say giving a new Kindle 3 to my wife, I mean it :-) ... she is not interested on using my Calibre collection and tools so after giving it I will basically forget about it.

So, moving a DRM file from let's say Kindle A to Kindle B... is not option? I have never tried or test that myself; all my devices are tied up to one Amazon account only.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
So, moving a DRM file from let's say Kindle A to Kindle B... is not option?
Not if the Kindle's are on separate accounts, unless the books are DRM free that is.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
No - Amazon DRM is specific per device based off the serial number. So even if two Kindles are registered to the same account, you have to download a DRM'd file specific to that device.

As compared to say Adobe Digital Editions or Barnes and Noble where the DRM is set by account or by credit card $/name.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

Thanks for the help so far...

I think that I will go for a separate account for her.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Thanks for the help so far...

I think that I will go for a separate account for her.
The advantage to one account - you can share books without any issues at all. My wife and I share an account (mine), even though she has her own Amazon account, the Kindle is on mine. We have an overlap of maybe 25% of the books we each read. Makes it simpler.

The disadvantage to one account: Recommendations get skewed. I keep getting recommendations for books that I'm not likely to ever read, based on the books she reads. But if you don't care about that, there's not much other downside.

EITHER way - get in the habit of stripping the DRM and you can move the books any way you want. The whole idea of moving Kindles back and forth between accounts is just silly, IMHO.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Just to add to Charlie's advice (my wife and I share, too), it is easy to adjust your recommendations so that books your wife buys are not skewing your own. It's as easy as stating a purchase is a gift or flat out telling Amazon to not use them for recommendations. I count on recommendations and find it easy to clean things up once a week or month to keep from having my apparent taste in books skewed.

Ultimately, we end up using the Calibre after removing the DRM method to archive our books for potential later use although I am not so regimented as to do that before reading... Since Calibre is more for archival use, I only use it once a month or so for cataloging my books.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If the Kindles are on the same account you can download whatever you want from the Archive either on the Kindle or using your Manage my Kindle Account.

If the Kindles are on different accounts she will not be able to access your account. Which means that you cannot share books using the archive feature. So you will have to be willing to add her to your account, add books, and de-register her when you want to share books.

Personally, it sounds like a pain in the ass. I would say share one account and don't worry about it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline

Hmm...

Interesting comments so far ...

I know she will not be thrilled sharing my Oracle, MySQL or MS-SQL books... ... but I'm very picky with my Amazon's recommendations and account itself, including credit card access, lol ...

I'm actually more confused now than before ...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Do you have other books on your account that she might like? If so then I am sure she would prefer the convenience of easy access to the archive then having to register and deregister all the time. I am assuming that the two of you can work out a way to deal with paying for each of your books.

My Husband does not read much but if he did we would share an account. I don't care if he knows that I read the occasional erotic novel or if he did the same. Other then that we have similar tastes in books (when he does read) and we share our money so I don't see that as being a problem.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Do you have other books on your account that she might like? If so then I am sure she would prefer the convenience of easy access to the archive then having to register and deregister all the time. I am assuming that the two of you can work out a way to deal with paying for each of your books.

My Husband does not read much but if he did we would share an account. I don't care if he knows that I read the occasional erotic novel or if he did the same. Other then that we have similar tastes in books (when he does read) and we share our money so I don't see that as being a problem.
hmm...

Yeah, I have some non fiction books that she likes. Besides computer, I like non fiction novels, self help books (she like those also) and pet behavior books (for our beloved Rosa, a 1 year old crazy doberman, lol)

She really loves Magazines, that's why I bought the iPad, plus the ability to read some PDFs I have.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
If you want to just give it to her and forget about it, putting her on the same account seems easiest and saves money so you guys aren't buying doubles. You could have her pay with a gift card if credit card usage is an issue for you.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
You could have her pay with a gift card if credit card usage is an issue for you.
How?

I've linked 3 CC on my Amazon account, but the Kindles are tied up to one I think. Can you assign a different CC to the second Kindle?