Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What are the reasons that made you decide to buy an e-reader ?
Free books (having the option of downloading ANY book from the Internet for free instead of having to pay for paper) 70 27.34%
"Legally" free books (public domain books, hard to find or unavailable in print books, digital releases, old books...) 134 52.34%
Portability (being able to take a 100 books on a trip instead of just a few or getting rid of the weight) 220 85.94%
Availability (you have a choice of more books to buy or download for free online then in your local bookstore / library) 94 36.72%
Price (you pay for digital books but they're still cheaper then the paper version and you don't mind losing the paper) 77 30.08%
Instant gratification (the speed of downloading a book via your computer or via WLAN VS going to a bookstore / library) 96 37.50%
Home storage space (one hard drive or e-reader memory card VS many cupboards crammed with books) 164 64.06%
Access to english (or other) books when in a foreign country 33 12.89%
Mobile / unplanned access to books (unplanned buying new books by WLAN on a train or in an airport or on holiday) 23 8.98%
Gadget love (you love gadgets and buy any new gadgets that come to market regardless of usefullness) 73 28.52%
Poor eyesight (you can't read the small print in paper books but you can read the largest font on your e-reader) 35 13.67%
Ecology (you want to save forests and trees from being cut down to make paper books) 47 18.36%
You were already reading books on your computer and this is easier to carry around and read in bed 57 22.27%
You wanted to give a suitable gift to an avid reader or addicted gadget geek 7 2.73%
You need the built-in dictionary or some other feature not directly related to reading 25 9.77%
Your eyes hurt less from reading e-paper then from reading real paper 21 8.20%
It's easier to read in the dark (because you have an LCD-based device or an e-paper based one with built-in lighting) 21 8.20%
Your e-reader is more comfortable to hold in your hands then books are 97 37.89%
E-readers don't age like paper books (they don't turn yellow, don't get twisted and ruffled-up) 33 12.89%
Reading comics 9 3.52%
Reading news 13 5.08%
Study (you use it to read textbooks or manuals) 19 7.42%
Work (you use it to look over documents and annotate or correct them, like correcting your own writing or student tests) 19 7.42%
You like looking cool and high-tech and want people to see you using it 12 4.69%
You're exceptionally prone to papercuts 9 3.52%
You love anything shiny, just like a crow 40 15.63%
Some other reason 24 9.38%
You bought an e-reader but weren't satisfied with the experience and decided to go back to strictly reading paper books 1 0.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Your reason for buying an e-reader

EDIT: BE AWARE EVERYONE THIS IS A MULTI-CHOICE POLL ! CHOOSE ANY AND ALL REASONS THAT APPLY !

I'll sum up all the the reasons you mentioned in my former thread (which unfortunately partially turned into a political/moral debate) and you can vote on them as a poll, so let's see what's driving the e-reader market growth, shall we ?
Maybe this won't be a completely accurate poll since people here seem to be bigger reading-fanatics then average and because most forum members are probably Americans and that they'll be prejudiced towards the first poll option, but what the hell, let's find out some interesting general facts...

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 12-20-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The poll you mention, I cannot see it!
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
The poll isn't showing up for me either. Maybe try to edit your post and see if it can be fixed?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
The poll isn't showing up for me either. Maybe try to edit your post and see if it can be fixed?
Sorry people the reason you couldn't see the poll was because I hadn't written it yet, because it took an eternity ! The poll posting shouldn't be made in such a way that you can't write the poll before you post the message.
Anyway you can vote now and I hope it's usefull to someone. The poll is open undefinitely. Oh and moderators if you believe it's usefull you can make it a sticky (or whatever you call permanent threads here).
Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I voted! I couldn't pick just one so I chose a few that were the most important.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Your choice of, comfortable to hold in your hands captures part of one major reason, but let me expand on it.
  • I can set it down and continue reading while my hands attend to some mindless chore.
  • I can let go of it for a second or two without losing my page.
  • I can hold the whole surface sideways so I can read with my head on the pillow whereas with paper I can only comfortably do that with left pages.
  • I can continue reading as I get up from my chair and start walking (easier than with paper).
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One of the better Reasons For X polls I've seen. Nice job.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
... my former thread (which unfortunately partially turned into a political/moral debate) ...
Was that the thread where you asked us,
"so if you happen to be a capitalist anti-pirate pig please enlighten me"?
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Good poll. Only option really missing is for people who were already reading digital texts on portable devices (Palm/Visor/PocketPC etc)...
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Was that the thread where you asked us,
"so if you happen to be a capitalist anti-pirate pig please enlighten me"?
Well that was a bit of a joke, as indicated by the symbol in that sentence.
I don't think you're all pigs, OK ?
But the question in that thread was what's your reason and many people concentrated on bashing my main reason instead... Still, there was some interesting political debating going on, and though I got called a thief it was still very civilized compared to some debates on some forums I've been to where people quickly resorted to name-calling of the worst kind towards each other.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
Good poll. Only option really missing is for people who were already reading digital texts on portable devices (Palm/Visor/PocketPC etc)...
That's kind of covered under already reading on the computer... Same case, reading digital books but the device isn't optimal for the job.
And thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
One of the better Reasons For X polls I've seen. Nice job.
Thanks alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Your choice of, comfortable to hold in your hands captures part of one major reason, but let me expand on it.
  • I can set it down and continue reading while my hands attend to some mindless chore.
  • I can let go of it for a second or two without losing my page.
  • I can hold the whole surface sideways so I can read with my head on the pillow whereas with paper I can only comfortably do that with left pages.
  • I can continue reading as I get up from my chair and start walking (easier than with paper).
I tried to put down everything I could possibly think of and everything people in that thread mentioned (plus a few joke-choices, some of which actually seem to be popular) but you can't think of everything. Your number 1 is really good, I can see how you can for example cook and read at the same time with an e-reader and can't with a paper book (unless it's pages are really heavy), I would have never thought of that cause when I read I ONLY read. As for number 2 - can't you put it down upside down so you don't lose pages ? And number 3 - you can just turn on your other side. And number 4 - I don't really see that either ? Anyway, I'm not trying to bash your opinion, just saying how it is for me.
BTW, I found an older thread (without a poll) asking people for their reasons for buying an e-reader and one person mentioned being able to excercise and listen to audio books, I could have put that too (though I guess you can do that with a small MP3 player easier).

P.S.
One conclusion is already becoming clear - lots of people like shiny things !

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 12-20-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I put "some other reason" because I didn't make the choice to go digital. My husband pushed me, kicking and screaming. He got me the sony, I was (inside) a bit mortified, as I'd never wanted one and thought it was a horrible thing.... and within a week, I was hooked. Never leave home without it.

huh, I just realized I didn't actually "buy" the ereader either, so perhaps I participated in error.... oops

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 12-20-2010 at 11:09 PM.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm not sure I agree with your "portability" description Portability (being able to take a 100 books on a trip instead of just a few or getting rid of the weight)

I'm just talking about caring one or two books. You try caring around "Security Analysis", "Candle stick course", and "Intelligent investor" vs a 4"/5"/6" eReader and you'll see what I mean. I don't have to have the need to carry hundreds of books. Just something that I can store in my pocket and take anywhere.

BTW nice poll.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Selected half a dozen choices though the Portability one was a bit limited at 100 books... I treat mine as a portable library not just a portable reader and have a lot more than a 100 on it courtesy of the PRS+ mods.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
I couldn't select Love anything shiny...just like a crow more than once. I thought you said it was multiple choice poll....
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote