Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
LIT TO TEXT VIA MOBI CREATER OR.......

LIT TO MOBI VIA MOBI POCKET CREATER OR PDF TO TEXT VIA MOBI POCKET CREATOR OR TEXT TO MOBI VIA MOBI POCKET CREATOR?

or via CALIBER?

I found reading text files difficult to read due to line break problem...i.e sentence runs to next line but only one or a few words on nect line..then text breaks to next full line and then partial line...and so on and so on...

so which method is the best to make text reflow on the screen?

LIT TO MOBI VIA MOBI POCKET CREATER OR PDF TO TEXT VIA MOBI POCKET CREATOR OR TEXT TO MOBI VIA MOBI POCKET CREATOR?

Which would be the best method from pdf to mobi or from lit to mobi??

or do i have to use the very complex with a billion options calibre software?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
Try reading the calibre documentation. It very concisely answers this question.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthwyne View Post
Try reading the calibre documentation. It very concisely answers this question.
I tried but there are a billion options.
i don't know what to do...

i just want load txt files and get them converted/ready to read in kindle 3 nicely formatted so that they are readable.

i loaded txt files in calibre but it said input EPUB ....output kindle 3 but the output files had txt extension...

the books when loaded seems to be formatted but just some of them..

i just don't understand it.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
You know you can safely skip the parts that don't apply to what you are trying to do... right?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

i just want load txt files and get them converted/ready to read in kindle 3 nicely formatted so that they are readable.

i loaded txt files in calibre but it said input EPUB ....output kindle 3 but the output files had txt extension...

the books when loaded seems to be formatted but just some of them..

i just don't understand it.

Output files will be appropriate for the kindle if you have all the conversion parameters set according to what you want. Is your preferred output set correctly?

note PDF and txt are juxtapositioned in the preferred input format; hence swapping one for another is not really going to get you very far!

Slightly confusing info here - what are your input files? txt or lit?

(Just thoughts, no expertise implied by them - enjoy )

Last edited by GeoffC; 09-30-2010 at 10:28 AM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Output files will be appropriate for the kindle if you have all the conversion parameters set according to what you want. Is your preferred output set correctly?

note PDF and txt are juxtapositioned in the preferred input format; hence swapping one for another is not really going to get you very far!

Slightly confusing info here - what are your input files? txt or lit?

(Just thoughts, no expertise implied by them - enjoy )

input was txt files.

but in clibra the input drop down tab kept saying EPUB. no option for txt as input.

very difficult to use.

is there a standard setting?

i have no interest in fancy schmancy menus, tables , exporting bookmarks to to my aunt in australia , just plain reading in a properly formatted page.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You know you can safely skip the parts that don't apply to what you are trying to do... right?
how do i know what parts to skip?

in one part it has menus for courier bit is courier spacing line.what does that mean?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
If you have MS Word there are a few scripts that word wrap the text files to a nice paragraph.

There are two MS Word tools here on this site that can help you. One that is called 'Stingo's Marcro'. Also there is a tool I wrote called BookCreator.

Stingo's Macro word wraps the text, then you can save it as a RTF and read it in Calibre.

BookCreator, you can do the same. Also it integrates with calibre so you can create a MOBI book if you wanted to with that tool.

Stingo's Marco is a text file that you will have to add to your word template.

BookCreator is a template file that has these tools in there.(Incidentally I also have Stingo's Macro installed in the BC tool)

Also if your more tech savy there are tools written here on this board (in Perl) that fix the word wrap for you. I've written one myself.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
what version of Calibre are you using ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
what version of Calibre are you using ?
THE LATEST VERSION...
Old 10-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
The "nicely formatted" is the sticky point.

The Kindle uses the Mobipocket file format, and Mobi files are essentially an encapsulated subset of HTML. When you use Mobi Creator to generate a Mobi file, it converts the input file to HTML and then builds a Mobi file from it.

If the formatting you want includes things like text attributes (bold/italic/etc.), font size changes or a Table of Contents, you'll have to massage the text first to add the proper HTML markup. Mobi Creator can't guess what you want. Neither can Calibre.

Where are the text files coming from, and what do you want to see when they are on the Kindle?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The "nicely formatted" is the sticky point.

The Kindle uses the Mobipocket file format, and Mobi files are essentially an encapsulated subset of HTML. When you use Mobi Creator to generate a Mobi file, it converts the input file to HTML and then builds a Mobi file from it.

If the formatting you want includes things like text attributes (bold/italic/etc.), font size changes or a Table of Contents, you'll have to massage the text first to add the proper HTML markup. Mobi Creator can't guess what you want. Neither can Calibre.

Where are the text files coming from, and what do you want to see when they are on the Kindle?
______
Dennis
i don't have or want tables.

just novels as in the original book.

the text files have collected from many sources.

some from sharing ,some from others,some from novels conversions.

is there a standard setting on calibra?

Tags
desperation, lit, pdf, reflow, text