Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
recallme
recallme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Learning to "see/live" books

Hello fellow reader,
i just tried to find informations about "how to learn visualize books".
But the only thing i found was how to read faster.
I am a german mathematician and in the past i read mostly dry historical stuff.
While doing that that imagination wasn't important to me.

No i'd like to read Alice in wonderland or Gulliver's travels.

Therefore i'd really like to learn to get "into" the books.
Do you have any tips or even threads/books how i can manage that?
Is reading books in foreign languages an obstacle for imagination?

Thank you for all input
recallme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Seriously, read. Read again, again and again. It's a practice, imagination like brain is a muscle to train! Read and enjoy!
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure that anyone can teach you to have imagination. It's something that you either have or you don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
If I read a descriptive passage I will close my eyes for a little while and "see" the scene behind my eyelids. Try and get a feel for the atmosphere, the smells the sounds. I have done that since I was a child and still do it. Perhaps it isn't for you, but it helps me imagine what the author is trying to convey.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by recallme View Post
Is reading books in foreign languages an obstacle for imagination?
I would think not, but if you have this impression then simply read it in German. These books are all available.
Quote:
Therefore i'd really like to learn to get "into" the books.
Do you have any tips or even threads/books how i can manage that?
- Does it help you to see the illustrations or do they kill your own imagination?
- It might make a difference if you read the books or listen to an audio book.
- The best thing for getting into something is always to be active yourself. So, if you really want to make such a big task of it, you can draw pictures how you imagine that Alice or Gulliver or whoever looks like. Or you can stop after reading a few pages and spin your own continuation of the story.

I thought that history is full of exciting stuff too and not so dry!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
- It might make a difference if you read the books or listen to an audio book.
Great suggestion! When my daughter would get "stuck" on a passage she was reading and seemed blocked at being able to really understand what was happening, it usually helped if I read the same thing back to her out loud.

Audio books are, in my opinion, very nice alternatives to actually sitting and reading one's self. Some times I have actually jumped back and forth between an audio version I listen to while driving and the written version I continue with at home on weekends.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Awesome thread topic OP.
I had never really thought of visualization and reading as seperate skills before.
I think it is something that everyone can do but is definately imprroved through practice.

A little google-fu and I found a pretty simple and useful article for increasing visualization.
From the article:
"1st Exercise

Find a photograph, and take your time to analyze it. Memorize every detail you can. Then simply close your eyes and try to recreate it in your mind. Bring in as much as you can: the colors, the birds in the sky, the freckles on the skin — whatever is there. Open your eyes to get more detail if you have to. Remember that this is not a test: do it until you get good at it."

How to Develop Your Visualization Skill
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote