Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #16
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
It's not just Android tablets. It's Blackberry and other ones too.

Quote:
using this coupon, you can get $100 off any tablet at Staples. $300 ASUS Eee Pad Transformer or Acer Iconia Tab A500 anyone? How about a $400 Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1? Or maybe you're into the Dell Streak 7 for a mere $200?
That streak for $200 would be a very good deal.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/07...et-at-staples/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #17
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
I don't see how that changes my point. Until we get the actual sales figures, we're still playing a guessing game. Right now, the market is saturated with Android tablets. Here is a list of companies that have recently produced and/or announced one:

1. Sony
2. Toshiba
3. Lenovo
4. ASUS
5. Archos
6. Samsung
7. HTC
8. Dell
9. Acer
10. Amazon
11. Barnes and Noble

I'd say it's pretty obvious that these companies must be shipping lots of tablets. Whether they are actually selling is another matter. Right now, Staples is offering a $100 discount on several of these devices. My guess is that this is due to lagging sales.

Also, my point is that Google is still not making much money off Android. Apple, on the other hand, will retain their status as a manufacturer of class, high-end products, which is part of what keeps giving them record sales.
Add LG, Vizio, Panasonic.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #18
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
I must have been really tired when I wrote that last night.

Of course, Staples might have several reasons for offering the tablets at bargain prices. Right now, they seem to be doing a store-wide clearance. You can get excellent deals on lots of products. On the other hand, the Acer Iconia debuted just a few months ago at $450-$500. Now, you can get it from multiple places for about $350. That's a pretty quick price drop. Plus, many other tablets have steeply fallen in price, such as the Dell Streak. Given the market is inundated with Android tablet options, what is likely happening is that certain products (like the Galaxy Tab 10.1) are eating up the competition. We'll just have to wait to see how much these new devices have sold before we reach any conclusions. In my opinion, we have some reason to believe that the tablet market might be different than the cellphone one. Tablets seem more like niche products than common household items.

Right now, a situation is emerging where Apple is being perceived as the high-end product, while Google phones are the cheaper but less classy alternative. If that's the case, Apple will continue to make gobs of money from people interested in defining themselves in certain way and don't care whether Android is technically a better operating system. If I were Apple, I'd be pretty happy with this position. Right now, they are raking in record profits, and their growth has been steady despite Android's rising dominance in the smartphone market.

Just think: Google would probably kill to have a similar customer base. People who will only buy Apple computers, will only buy Apple smartphones, will only buy Apple tablets, will only buy Apple MP3 players . . .
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #19
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Right now, a situation is emerging where Apple is being perceived as the high-end product, while Google phones are the cheaper but less classy alternative. If that's the case, Apple will continue to make gobs of money from people interested in defining themselves in certain way and don't care whether Android is technically a better operating system.
Android is not 'technically a better operating system'.

The hardware is often (much) more leading edge, but that's only one facet of 'better' and it has little to do with the Android OS.

I don't define myself by my iPod touch any more than my wife defines herself by her Samsung. Perhaps others define me by it -- but that (to me) is too close to stereotyping.

Quote:
Just think: Google would probably kill to have a similar customer base. People who will only buy Apple computers, will only buy Apple smartphones, will only buy Apple tablets, will only buy Apple MP3 players . . .
Not me. Best tool for the job.

I like some of the things Android frees you up to do -- like the getting alerts on your desktop thing I posted this morning. I just wish I could get the equivalent of the Touch with something like the screensize of a Droid.

When the price on this drops <$200 I'm in (w/o activating it).
Old 07-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@kennyminot: maybe it's splitting hairs here but Amazon nor Barnes and Noble have announced tablets. Also neither company is producing tablets. The nook color neither of counts for activated android devices nor tablet sales.

A lot of folks forget we're in a recession, all areas of the tech industry are suffering from slow down in sales, well except amazon.

Prices really have not came down, it's just the products have changed and so has the price. The prior to the Asus Transformer all tablets where tied to a data plan. They had no entry model, only high end models and 3G plans. Folks however balked at buying these high end devices which resulted in poor sales.

The success of the transformer showed that consumers wanted the low end wifi models. So the trend now is to release the low end models first then followed up by the 3G high end models. However if you look at each prices of these high end models they are pretty much unchanged.

The devices that you mentioned dropped in prices because they where failed products out the door.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #21
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Right now, a situation is emerging where Apple is being perceived as the high-end product, while Google phones are the cheaper but less classy alternative. If that's the case, Apple will continue to make gobs of money from people interested in defining themselves in certain way and don't care whether Android is technically a better operating system. If I were Apple, I'd be pretty happy with this position. Right now, they are raking in record profits, and their growth has been steady despite Android's rising dominance in the smartphone market.
Apple is definitely happy, and should be. I agree that Android is perceived as being less exclusive, since anyone can make one and there are plenty of cheap options. And I don't doubt fashionistas would consider it an inferior accessory, but I would separate the phones from the OS, as I doubt people would really perceive Samsung as less classy. Heck, iPhones are mostly (by value) Samsung products.

Quote:
Microsoft is more than happy to kill to go after this base. $1billion to nokia, suits against all their long-time partners. WP7's design and focus was a blatant attempt to grab Apple's audience. MS users have never been to MS itself, with the possible exception of 360 owners. They'd love their mobile userbase to behave like Apple's. Honestly though, Google seems content to fight it out feature by feature on every front, including mobiles.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #22
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
A lot of folks forget we're in a recession, all areas of the tech industry are suffering from slow down in sales, well except amazon.
...and that other firm.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #23
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
=X= -

You might be right about B&N and Amazon. However, I'm not sure why you classify the Dell Streak and the Acer Iconia as "failed products right out of the door." In particular, the Iconia received decent reviews and has basically the same hardware as the other tablets. It is certainly superior to some of its competitors, like the Motorola Xoom, due to the inclusion of USB and HDMI ports. Furthermore, these models were wifi devices from the moment they were released. Obviously, I'd take into account the difference between 3G and Wifi models. It's also worth noting that the Xoom quickly dropped $100 in price; it started at $599, and you can now pick one up for $499. Of course, I think the Xoom is the most overpriced Android tablet on the market.

David Marseilles -

People generally think Apple products are more classy than Samsung ones, and I highly doubt they care that Samsung made most of the iPhone's components.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #24
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I think the court stuff is more about the phone market, where Apple actually faces competition.
but it'll translate into tablet sales hampering too if apple wins. apple doesn't want to be what it had become in the PC world with it's 5% market share years back.

apple doesn't want to license tech any more, they'd rather block sales. remember what they did to power computing, umax, etc. they made macs better and cheaper than apple.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #25
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@Kennyminot; I'm referring to the Dell Streak 5"/7", xoom, and the tab 7". These products came to market requiring a data plan and where still overpriced in top of that. The streak 7" was wifi only but has a horrible screen compared to the tab/nook.

I don't think Acer is a failed product, but they came after the transformer and have been shadowed by Asus's success.

I don't agree what you say about people thinking the iphone is more classy. Maybe in the past, or with a group of people. My experience is folks are getting excited about Android phones slightly more than iphone.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Per the Staples sale, they probably are having the sale to move some inventory, but I understand it's working. They're supposed to be completely sold out of the Iconia both online and in store. Many stores are supposed to be completely sold out of tablets and the coupon is good until July 31. I know it took the coupon to convince me to buy such a redundant toy, but it's still fun despite some weird wifi issues :-)
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote