Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
SHINTON
SHINTON began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle2 PDF - Can someone try/show?

I have a subscription to DRAGON magazine, which is all PDFs, etc and I am really considering buying the Kindle2 and would really appreciate it if I could send a PDF to someone to try / and take some pictures of how it looks, etc?

You might could find some free ones on the D&D website, but not really sure they have any that are not subscriber only now?

I can email direct or other suggestions?

Basically if I could "prove" that these PDFs would work ok on a Kindle2 (or other suggested device, but the amazon store is biggie for me) I would likely buy one this year!!

(Or there maybe an email I can send the PDF / and I think it shows up on your device?)

My email is

jeepnerdATtriad dot rr dot com

Sam
SHINTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have a junk email address I could use to subscribe if you provide a link to the magazine. I'll try it for ya!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I recommend, whoever does it, that they convert via Calibre or Mobipocket Reader. Amazon's own service is likely to be sub-optimal.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I plan to use, Amazon, MobiPocket Creator (not Reader ) and PDFRead 1.8.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
SHINTON

Here is the link.. I suspect that you have to have the "paid" subscription now to view any of their content, but I could be wrong!! (I have the paid subscription / download and read the PDFs on my big laptop, but it is a PITArse to carry around)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dragon

They (Wizards of the Coast) also have PDFs of their game books as well and if this PDF works, that would be a huge deal for us to carry around a device that weighs a few ounces vs 10 books!

And yes, I still play D&D...I am 38, married, own my own home, college degree, grad school, etc...nerds rule!!
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
SHINTON

I went and looked, I have a file / article from them that is 715 KB

372_Shadar-kai.pdf is the name of the file (someone maybe able to find it elsewhere..)

Some of the full compiled issues are 5-10 meg

I can email via a GMAIL account or other such, does not appear to be a way to upload a file here in this thread or I may not have clearance, etc.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
SHINTON

[deleted link]

I uploaded the file to a site I run for my church, will pull it back down shortly since the content is subscription based, but figured that might help. (Being a google site, you can click on the file and see how it looks first / verify it is a pdf and appropriate, etc)

Thanks again, it will be interesting to see how the graphics and text do on the device / 16 shades of grey, etc. (Not to mention the pdfs are built to look good on a monitor in shape/size)

Last edited by SHINTON; 03-02-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: deleted link
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

The sign-up process is way too tedious, so I'm going to PM you with an email address to send the PDF to me.

Edit: Sorry, I see that you added more info while I was gone. Will try to download.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I've done the MP Creator conversion and sent the PDF to Amazon and my K2. I'm working on the PDFRead version. I'll be back in a bit (it takes a while to test and get screen grabs).
Old 03-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Results are posted here.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
SHINTON

A huge thanks (could you show another page or two from the amazon version, where you actually start getting into the text of the article instead of the "headers" etc?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINTON View Post
A huge thanks (could you show another page or two from the amazon version, where you actually start getting into the text of the article instead of the "headers" etc?
I already deleted it but since the MPC version is the same, can add it again and put up some more text. BTW my Kindle is set to read at font size 4 (default is 3), so you can get more or less text on that page depending on the size you use.

BRB.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Here are a bunch of pages in a zip file that you can look at.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dragon Test Shots.zip (381.5 KB, 350 views)
Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
SHINTON

My K2 will be here tomorrow!!

Thanks for the final proof that I really needed this device!!

Sam
Old 03-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINTON View Post
My K2 will be here tomorrow!!

Thanks for the final proof that I really needed this device!!

Sam
Congratulations!

Tags
kindle 2 pdf, magazine