Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Book Designer crashes on opening files

I'm tearing my hair out here. I've installed and uninstalled, tried different BD update versions, disabled other programs, tried umpteen different files of assorted sizes and degrees of simplicity, and I get the exact same thing every time: Book Designer crashes as soon as it tries to open a file. It happens with HTML files, RTF files, and DOC files. It will successfully open a plain ASCII txt file, but that's the only thing that I've had any success with. After it crashes trying to open a file, Task Manager will show an instance of WINWORD.EXE running (making sure to kill it and/or reboot before trying Book Designer again doesn't make any difference versus leaving it run).

My system:

Win XP MCE with SP2 and all currently available Microsoft updates (including those for Word)
Word 97 (installed simply and solely for use by other programs, like BD)
2GB RAM
AMD Turion 64 Mobile, 1.99 GHz
Book Designer 4, currently with 2007-07-30 update

Suggestions? I've tried everything that I can think of at this point and a forum search didn't turn up anything useful. Could Word 97 be the problem? I really hate to spend the cash for a newer version of Word simply for this purpose; I'll certainly never use Word for anything else (WordPerfect is my word processor of choice).
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest you read the following thread since it gives some help on getting BD to run under Vista. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786

I am not sure if Word 97 will work or not with BD. I have Word 2003 and it works fine. But, I am also running XP Pro.

One other suggestion is to search the forum for the words

Book Designer Vista

then you'll get all the threads that mention Book Designer & Vista. Good luck!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The poster says that he's using XP, not Vista.

I suppose that Word 97 could be the culprit; I've not tried using a version that old myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I did make a mistake on which OS. So maybe Word 97 is the problem.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

I think my brother has Office 2003; guess I'd better borrow it and see if it resolves the issue. If it does, then I'll have to cave and buy the current release. Hmm, on second thought, I may not need to borrow his Office 2003... I think my laptop had a "free trial" offer for Office 2003 pre-installed that I never activated as I knew that I wouldn't waste the money on buying it when the trial was up.

I wish so many text-processing-related programs didn't rely on Word for basic functionality; good grief, programmers seem to treat it as if it's part of the OS. If they absolutely must "borrow" functionality from another program, why not use OpenOffice instead and stop feeding the growth of Microsoft's market share?
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
I think my brother has Office 2003; guess I'd better borrow it and see if it resolves the issue. If it does, then I'll have to cave and buy the current release. Hmm, on second thought, I may not need to borrow his Office 2003... I think my laptop had a "free trial" offer for Office 2003 pre-installed that I never activated as I knew that I wouldn't waste the money on buying it when the trial was up.

I wish so many text-processing-related programs didn't rely on Word for basic functionality; good grief, programmers seem to treat it as if it's part of the OS. If they absolutely must "borrow" functionality from another program, why not use OpenOffice instead and stop feeding the growth of Microsoft's market share?
I would be startled if Word 97 was the problem, since you state it crashes on HTML and RTF files as well as Word docs.

I'd start by removing BD entirely, then doing a clean re-install, starting with the 4.0 distribution files and then applying the most recent update to bring it to 5.0

I run BD under XP SP2 here, without issues. In my case, Office 2000 is installed, but I don't believe it matters. XP Media Center apparently does have quirks, as I've seen complaints about it elsewhere.

When BD crashes, do you get any diagnostics in Event Viewer? If so, they may provide a clue to what is happening.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yeah, I did make a mistake on which OS. So maybe Word 97 is the problem.
Word 97 works for me. At least I have not had BD crash. I did have some crashes when I tried to overlay an earlier installation but when I removed everything followed the instructions on this site it all worked as good as it works.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I would be startled if Word 97 was the problem, since you state it crashes on HTML and RTF files as well as Word docs.

I'd start by removing BD entirely, then doing a clean re-install, starting with the 4.0 distribution files and then applying the most recent update to bring it to 5.0

I run BD under XP SP2 here, without issues. In my case, Office 2000 is installed, but I don't believe it matters. XP Media Center apparently does have quirks, as I've seen complaints about it elsewhere.
BD gives errors opening most file types (RTF, HTML, LIT) if you don't have Word installed (haven't had any crashes though). I just found this out when I installed BD on the XP Partition of my new computer. I had to dig out my Office 2007 Home disc & install Word to get things to work properly. Otherwise I the only file type I tried that would open was plain txt.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Could it be that Win XP MCE is missing DHTML that XP normally comes with?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Could it be that Win XP MCE is missing DHTML that XP normally comes with?
My work computer runs MCE & BD works just fine, so I don't think it's missing like it is in Vista.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My Dell machine is running XP MCE. I'm running BD just fine with Office 2007.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
dcalder
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Been there, done that. Repeatedly. Have also tried with various other updates instead of the most recent. Have manually deleted any & all remaining files after uninstalling and before reinstalling. Have rebooted between uninstalling & reinstalling. Nothing works.

Quote:
XP Media Center Edition quite literally is Windows XP Professional, with a few added features focussing on media playback & recording. I could possibly understand a few "quirks" related to, say, video or music playback, but I can't imagine why it would affect something text-related.

Quote:
When BD crashes, do you get any diagnostics in Event Viewer? If so, they may provide a clue to what is happening.
______
Dennis
I'm just on lunch break at the moment, so I'll have to take a look when I get home. Interestingly enough, I do recall noticing that the BD crash does not call up the usual MS "report this problem" dialogue box. You can view the details (which seemed to be singularly unhelpful - no simple "fault in such&such.dll") or close - no option to "report & check for solution".

I have a desktop at home running XP MCE as well (came with Vista, which lasted about two weeks before I ordered XP - with token bit of system hardware, of course, so I qualified for the much cheaper OEM version). I didn't really want to put BD on that machine, as it's my dedicated video-editing machine, but I may end up trying it as it's a pretty "clean" box with very minimal software installed, so there's virtually no chance of a software conflict. Testing it on there should at least confirm whether MCE is at fault, and since it doesn't have Word installed at all, I should also be able to tell if the error is the same as with Word 97.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
dcalder
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
BD gives errors opening most file types (RTF, HTML, LIT) if you don't have Word installed (haven't had any crashes though). I just found this out when I installed BD on the XP Partition of my new computer. I had to dig out my Office 2007 Home disc & install Word to get things to work properly. Otherwise I the only file type I tried that would open was plain txt.
Does BD just give you an error, or does it actually crash? Mine's crashing with Word 97. If it was actually crashing for you, then I'm guessing that the problem probably is Word 97. If yours was just throwing an error, then maybe something else is going on.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Before I installed Word it gave me errors telling me it couldn't find Word every time I tried to open anything but a basic txt file. No actual crashes.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 AM   #15
dcalder
Zealot

Looks like Word97 is indeed the culprit. I downloaded the free 60-day trial of MS Office 2007 and installed it; Book Designer now opens HTML & RTF files without a hitch.