Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
New Free Ebook from Barnes & Noble

Our bots that update the free ebook lists at http://inkmesh.com/free-ebooks/ just found a new B&N free ebook: The Hands of the Buddha by Susan Brassfield Cogan.

Direct Link: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...?cds2Pid=29905
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Unfortunately, even though it is free, you have to give them your credit card information. So, not for me.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I like their slogan "It works with the ereader you already own". NOT!
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Yeah this is really more of a Nook owners deal, even though you can read the book on your PC/iPhone through their app.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Unfortunately, even though it is free, you have to give them your credit card information. So, not for me.
Eh, Amazon has my CC info also so I dont mind
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Eh, Amazon has my CC info also so I dont mind
Amazon has mine too, because I buy from them. I don't buy , ebooks (so far from B&N) - I don't like giving it out just because they asked for it - it's the principle of the thing!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Amazon has mine too, because I buy from them. I don't buy , ebooks (so far from B&N) - I don't like giving it out just because they asked for it - it's the principle of the thing!
And it's the nature of the poor format that is eReader and the lousy DRM that is B&N ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And it's the nature of the poor format that is eReader and the lousy DRM that is B&N ePub.
You said it!
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Not that you even get epub with this one. In fact, almost every freebie I've downloaded at B&N has turned out to be in the eReader format.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
atidball
Enthusiast
atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-505
When I downloaded it via their Desktop Reader app (instead of through the website), I got the epub version. It worked the same way with the last freebie I picked up there (Altar of Eden).

There is NO DRM on this one.
atidball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by atidball View Post
When I downloaded it via their Desktop Reader app (instead of through the website), I got the epub version. It worked the same way with the last freebie I picked up there (Altar of Eden).

I wish I had done it that way. My free copy of "Altar Of Eden" from B&N has DRM so I can't open it in Calibre (and I've since deleted my Desktop Reader as it had gotten a bit buggy).
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atidball View Post

Ok, installed the reader software. Downloaded this one and several other free titles - all are PDB files, no epubs. Presumably all with DRM (although I didn't really check each one, I haven't seen any drm-free PDB's floating around recently).

I have no idea how you got an EPUB or how to convince B&N that I'd prefer that format or even how to tell if it is available.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Do you need to give them your credit card info if you download via the desktop app?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Do you need to give them your credit card info if you download via the desktop app?
Yes, your name (exactly as entered for your account) and the credit card number are used in the DRM scheme. They won't let you have any books without entering it.

I haven't had to enter my CC into the reader app (but it went out and verified my account with email address and password via the internet, so probably the app loaded the encrypted version on it's own).
Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
'Delivers' to only US addresses. After all, the Internets only extend to Hawaii.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote