Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Need advice about eReader and unlock options

I just found out that my credit card has been compromised. The credit card company locked my card and notified me after it noticed some suspicious activity. I am a long-time Mastercard customer and have always appreciated their customer service. They are sending me a new card which I will have in 3-5 days.

My question is how this will affect my ebooks as this no longer valid card number was used to purchase many books. I understand that I can still use the card number to unlock them even if the card is no longer in use by me. But when I get the new card, I want to be able to buy more books. I read on the Fictionwise site that you can only have three card number with them, so I am worried about what will happen in the future.

Can my ipod store more than one number so I can read both old books and new books (purchased with the new card) on it? Or is there a way, once I have the new card number, to somehow convert everything over to the new number (which would mean I would have to re-download ALL of those books, I guess...) Or is there software I can use to remove the DRM and make these plain old eReader books, and then just purchase new books with the new card?

One of the reasons I am buying ebooks now instead of pbooks is I want to be be able to keep them, so it is important to me that I continue to be able to both read the old books and purchase the new books, no matter which credit card I happen to be using. I welcome any advice about my options in a situation like this one.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can go back to eReader.com, put in the new details and redownload all the eBooks. They be set with the new credit card info.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
So then in a few more years if my card changes again, I would have to re-download everything? And it might be 100 books by then? No thank you! What are my other options? I hate that a legitimate customer like me is being punished with all this work just to keep things going...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
So then in a few more years if my card changes again, I would have to re-download everything? And it might be 100 books by then? No thank you! What are my other options? I hate that a legitimate customer like me is being punished with all this work just to keep things going...
There is no requirement for you to do this. It was only suggested as an option. You are not being punished. you can continue to use the old number on the books what were published on that number. (I suggest you keep a copy of the number just in case.)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote