Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Here:
http://www.gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/t...r-lives-336753

Quote:
"Android tablet vendors have focused on hardware specifications over eco-system, applications and services and that's one reason why none have done overly well in the market," said Gartenberg.

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-07-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
"Android tablet vendors have focused on hardware specifications over eco-system, applications and services and that's one reason why none have done overly well in the market," said Gartenberg.
I want hardware. There's plenty of eco-system scattered about. Nothing says it must all be contained behind the same wall. A little Netflix here, a little Amazon MP3 there, and a whole bunch of apps and books everywhere equals an eco-system.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #33
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
They have dropped to 52% in the tablet market last year, so this isn't a big step. The Tsunami is coming right at them.
I don't think so.

They have 59% of the market according to this: http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/07/tech...source=cnn_bin

But if you look at the competition, the next largest competitor is Amazon, with 17% of the market...followed by Samsung with 7%, Asus with 4.6%, and B&N, with 3.5%.

I don't really see much of a "tsunami," since Apple seems to have 90% or so of the 10" tablet market and only competes - I believe - with the Amazon Fire at the margins.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #34
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Ah, little grasshopper. You don't understand. You don't see the cricket.

Apple's farm is the "Apple Mystique!"
The idea that Apple is wonderful, magical, and ""special.""

The last iPhone was not so much a big deal. Oh wait, there is Siri! Apple wins again, but not at the big Mobile Show as I mention a few threads away. But still Siri distracts from a "less than ""best in the show experience"" and actually a disappointment from Apple fans as well.
Apple makes products that work better than competing products for many people.

I know from your previous posts that you like to pretend that these people have somehow been fooled by Apple into thinking that they are satisfied with their products. But I think we both know that that's a bunch of nonsense. My workplace has not begun using iPads because they are "magical." Nor have many people been disappointed by the new iPhone, as far as that goes.

Quote:

Now we are on tether hooks again waiting for the magician to remove the curtain.
"Tenterhooks"
Quote:

Wait the magician is gone. What is behind the curtain? A device that will drain more and more money from the faithful Apple customers once they purchase it. Data is no longer cheap! Unless Apple has some new really wonderful data deal with Verizon and AT&T and others, the new iPad may just be another very expensive paper weight. Pretty though!
Why do you pay so much attention to Apple products? And why do you think *you* have the ability to see behind the curtain? And where do you get the idea that the best-selling smartphones in the world are only bought by the "faithful?"
Quote:

Losing the farm means "disappointment" and the loss of the "magic illusion."

Money in the bank is great. That part of the "old" magic will last longer than the illusion.
The only point to these fact-free posts seems to be to make you feel superior to Apple fans. Is it working?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #35
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Its always been curious to me when people so closely identify with the products they buy and vilify the competing products they don't. Down here in Texas its common to see Chevy pickups with stickers of Calving pissing on the Ford emblem and vice-versa. Maybe it's insecurity over their purchase decisions or it's a tribal thing like rooting for your favorite sports team?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #36
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
And the conclusion from the Apple announcement is that there is nothing particularly unexpected. Better processor, better camera, better colours, and by far the biggest improvement being a 264ppi screen.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow; that event was underwhelming. And the name of the new iPad is:
  • iPad
Not iPad 2S, not iPad 3, not iPad HD ...just iPad.

Do these people ever venture into reality?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #38
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
To me, the best thing is or was, new price for iPad2 wifi: $399.

The rest, if you already own an iPad2, it is not enough, in my opinion, to sell and get a new one.

Yeah, retina display is nice. But you can get a Nook or Kindle if all you need is a tablet for reading purposes. It would be different if they could keep same weight, but it is heavier now, because the new fancy cameras.

A nice jump for those without one ... or, with an old iPad1.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #39
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Wow; that event was underwhelming. And the name of the new iPad is:
  • iPad
Not iPad 2S, not iPad 3, not iPad HD ...just iPad.

Do these people ever venture into reality?
The reality where the new entry level reader from Amazon is called... Kindle...?
Or where the 9th generation compact car from Honda is called just like the first? Civic?

Come on!
Apple has plenty of reasons to dump on them, no need to scrape the barrel for stuff that won't stick. (How's about the lack of Siri?)

And regardless of whatever else inside, $499 for that screen is going to move a lot of tablets. And render obsolete even pre-announced vaporware from competitors. If the competition has to amp their game, everybody benefits, no? Even those of us that would never buy one.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

With quad-core Androids just around the corner, Apple forges ahead with another dual-core. My, how innovative is that?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #41
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
With quad-core Androids just around the corner, Apple forges ahead with another dual-core. My, how innovative is that?
The iPad 3 is quad core.
Try again.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/7/285...specs-features
Quote:
In addition to the new display, the new iPad also features an A5X processor with a new quad-core graphics processor, which Apple claims is four times as fast as the Tegra 3.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #42
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I always feel like I am from another planet when people on this forum go on about buying in to Apple marketing hype.

I see some Apple marketing on the net I suppose. Can't say I notice ads much on the net. Never seen an Apple TV ad. Don't think they advertise here but could be wrong. I dont have a TV at home. I do listen to the radio and have never heard a radio ad for Apple. Mostly I hear about Apple stuff on the forums and so on

I have 2 Apple towers at work and a laptop. Also an iPad 2. I am not able to configure a powerful pc myself. Don't know how but the Mac tower drives my 80MP camera files just fine so I stick to it.

Anyway I think a company with 80 billion in the bank and a raft of successful diverse products over decades will not be in danger of betting or buying the farm with a single blunder. That presumes the iPad 3 is a blunder and I bet it isn't. I was convinced Apple had lost the plot when they got into mobile phones but that seems to have worked out not too badly for them.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #43
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Yeah, it's just a faster, brighter, hi-res, 4GLTE, quad-core graphic, apps-aplenty powerhouse of an iPad 2 - at the same price. That'll do for me, and let's remember that each incantation of the iPad doesn't have to appeal to everyone - I looked at iPad 2 and decided to stick with my original iPad, and I'm sure some folks won't feel the improvements in the new iPad are worthwhile for them <shrug>
Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #44
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
I'll be in the market for a 10" tablet this June and the new iPad will certainly be in the running.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #45
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The iPad 3 is quad core.
Try again.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/7/285...specs-features
That quote is misleading. It indicates "graphics processor", isn't that the GPU, as opposed to the CPU? Is the CPU indeed quad-core or not?
Closed Thread