Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
lee_lckwd
lee_lckwd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
kindle 2 and calibre

Hi! I have tons of books on my kindle 2 and have been looking forward to organizing them, especially the series, in Calibre. When I click on a title, it says double click to edit. However, when I do that, nothing happens. At first I thought it was because it was kindle content, but I've since heard of other kindle owners being able to edit their content in Calibre. I've been through the tutorials and FAQ page...it must be something simple, but I can't figure it out. Can anyone help, please? I've noticed that the edit metafile icon is grayed out, so while I can see my books, maybe they aren't loaded? I sure would appreciate any help!
Lee
lee_lckwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
Lee, make sure the file is on your computer. You can't do it while the file is directly on your Kindle.
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
... and when you figure that out you will have another problem. If your Kindle content is from Amazon it is probably copy protected. Any changes you make in Calibre will not be saved back into the book unless the book is not protected.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
lovesangelrn
lovesangelrn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
... and when you figure that out you will have another problem. If your Kindle content is from Amazon it is probably copy protected. Any changes you make in Calibre will not be saved back into the book unless the book is not protected.
Not necessarily true, I've change the metadata on books bought from Amazon, in Calibra (Title, publish date, etc), sent the book back to the kindle and had the changes take affect. I like to have the name of a book series show in the title, this is the most common metadata I've changed, and so far I've not had any resist my meddling.
lovesangelrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
rgoulde
rgoulde began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
I assume you have imported the books from your Kindle into Calibre. If not, just connect your Kindle to your PC, open Calibre and add the book from the folder on your Kindle. This works for DRM protected books but you can only download a readable form of the DRM protected books back to the "owning" device (e.g. your Kindle). Once the book is in Calibre highlight it in the list of books and right click on it. A menu should pop up with the first choice being edit metadata. Click on that then choose edit individually, then make whatever changes you want. Of course the changes don't get to the Kindle unless you delete the old version off the Kindle and download the updated one (Calibre's move to device button).

You can not only edit book and author name, etc. but simply by clicking on the button you can also download the cover and description for many books. For those you cannot you can often get the book's ISBN number off many book seller's sites, enter that in metadata and that may help. You can also always cut and paste the book description into metadata.
rgoulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
lee_lckwd
lee_lckwd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Thanks everyone for your responses. I was able to edit the metafiles on my kindle books. My next question is that when I sent it to the device, I ended up with 2 copies of each book. I then had to go page by page deleting every other book. Is there a way to avoid this?
lee_lckwd is offline   Reply With Quote