Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Renegade Formatting

If I load a plain .txt file on my Jetbook Lite with nothing (I repeat, nothing) but plain text (not even tab characters), the file displays on the reader with indents wherever the text looks like a numbered list and other formatting that is not in the plain text file (whether it be ASCII, UTF 8, ISO 8858-1 etc).

I have examined the text with various editors, and there is nothing in these files that would instruct the reader to do this. I am currently working on a file where I want all the text to line up on the left without indents and cannot do it. The files display as written on all editors but take on a life of their own in the Jetbook.

Does anyone have any idea how the reader is doing this and how to make it STOP?

Last edited by Ron46; 02-19-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: format
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Your text contains line breaks (not usually shown on text pad, or shown by default on Word).

You could try a site like http://www.textfixer.com/tools/remove-line-breaks.php
or remove the line breaks with search and replace with a text editor.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I also have a jetbook lite and I can tell you it also ignores/reformats both mobi and epub to suit itself, it does not display the formatting that's really in the file. I wish they'd fix that.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
CMBS- thanks for the validation. I have had people tell me this behavior is not possible- that there must be something in the file I am overlooking. Nope!

Ectaco recommends using txt files for public domain (Gutenberg) files when that is all you need, but the reader does not honor the basic text file and imposes it's own formatting. I have tried everything, including totally reformatting the reader and reinstalling the firmware then running it without an SD card. The problem is imbedded in the machine.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Yep. I hate that. It's like they don't think we can format books good enough, they're going to do it for us. But in fact one time there was an epub that wouldn't open in ADE. The epub file had over 3,000 errors. But someone with Stanza could read it because Stanza rewrites a lot of the formatting code. Because he could read it on Stanza, this guy thought his ebook was fine!

Maybe they could offer a choice of them rewriting the formatting or not.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Ron have you tried downloading that same book in an RTF format?

I tend to use manybooks.net simply because it lets me choose the format.
I find I prefer the rtf to most others.
Although generally formatting doesn't upset my applecart.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote