Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Thinkpads still come with trackpoints, although they are often blue anymore.
Thank you for the delightful linguistic curiousity. I have never seen one of these in the wild before!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 PM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Oh, I'm a fan of thinkpads, because they're tanks that take a lot of abuse, and prefer trackpoints (nipplemouse, clitpointer, what ever you prefer to call them) to trackpads, so I'm always on the look out for them.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Oh, I'm a fan of thinkpads, because they're tanks that take a lot of abuse, and prefer trackpoints (nipplemouse, clitpointer, what ever you prefer to call them) to trackpads, so I'm always on the look out for them.
He he.

I was actually referring to the way you used anymore.

But it's all good!

- Ahi
Old 08-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Eh, I referred them as the official name the first time, just to not have any confusion, but I tend to call them nipplemice.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:20 PM   #20
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstr View Post
On a slightly different note...is there any reason for no dual-screen ebook reader--something that would open and close like a book and facilitate the two-pages-at-a-time format so many of us are used to. My apologies of this is too off-topic or if it has been answered before.
Price: the screen is the single most expensive component of an E-Ink reader.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #21
Hellmark
Wizard

Manufacturer cost of a 6" display is in the $90 range. The prices on the 5" ones are really not too much different. So, for ones that are now in the $200 price level, it is just a bit under half the expense.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #22
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstr View Post
On a slightly different note...is there any reason for no dual-screen ebook reader--something that would open and close like a book and facilitate the two-pages-at-a-time format so many of us are used to. My apologies of this is too off-topic or if it has been answered before.
Some would say power consumption, but instead of 1 screen and 8000 pages, you're getting 2 screens and 4000 changes. Same difference.

But thinking about it, hinged lids, more wiring, more R&D. You'd be paying more for device that has a greater chance for something to malfunction. This for the ability to read 2 pages at once. When really, you can only read one page at a time anyway.

The only thing this would allow would be for comics/magazines with a 2-page spread.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 PM   #23
Hellmark
Wizard

The only time it would be handy, is multi page layouts, but, that kinda would get ruined by the gap in the middle.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #24
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of all the devices I've owned, my personal favourite as far as page turning went was the "rocker bar" of the iLiad.
Agreed. I could rock all night.

There must be button/rocker navigation available. Touch doesn't cut it on the bus.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #25
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Surely the 2-page thing is the point of the PRS-2121, in landscape mode?
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #26
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
One of the iPhone apps uses the accelerometer to scroll the text by tilting, although it seems more gimmicky than useful (unless you're reading one-handed while hanging from a strap on a bus or subway).
BOb, some of the buses I've been on would have be making uncommanded page changes if the lateral accelerometer controls the page flip. Taxis too.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 PM   #27
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
If my rosy memories are correct, I liked Sony's buttons better than the Kindle's, and liked the touch swipe on the 700.

But, I am fully expecting Apple to introduce an eye tracking sensor in the new iPad, which will turn the page as one's eyes look at the lower right of the screen.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:31 PM   #28
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
But, I am fully expecting Apple to introduce an eye tracking sensor in the new iPad, which will turn the page as one's eyes look at the lower right of the screen.
I want voice-activated page turning. Nothing better than getting to say "next page" every 45 seconds or so on the subway.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #29
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I want voice-activated page turning. Nothing better than getting to say "next page" every 45 seconds or so on the subway.
I'd prefer to have my page-turning keyphrase be:

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot!" That, or "Commence now, Thou false mechanical beast!"

Especially on the subway!

- Ahi
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #30
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
I read a book - can't quite remember which one, it was cyberpunk - in which the protagonist put a password on the (spoken) command "shutdown" on his main computing device. Seems during the last few days of the semester while people were trying to finish papers pranksters would run around the library yelling, "Shutdown! Shutdown!" causing people's devices to turn off, losing work. I won't go into more, because I think it was a major plot point.

Though one wonders why devices so advanced aren't set to auto-save every nanosecond or so, preventing data loss.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote