Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
radicalshift
radicalshift began at the beginning.

Device: something e-ink.
E-ink reader capable of taking handwritten notes

Hi, I am looking for an e-ink reader that is capable of taking handwritten notes using a stylus, preferably with a screen larger than 7". I am using it to annotate pdf documents. Something like Asus note ea800, but with e-ink technology. May I know is there such reader in the market? Thanks.

Last edited by radicalshift; 04-09-2013 at 06:59 AM.
radicalshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
1) Onyx Boox M92 - It can save handwritten notes onto the pdf file i.e. notes are visible outside the ereader too (within the computer or other OS)

2) Pocketbook Pro 902/903 - Notes are visible only inside the ereader. They are saved on a separate file and highlights only can be exported via a text file.

Both these ereaders have 9.7 inch screen and lack frontlit capability

Last edited by Feher; 04-11-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
radicalshift
radicalshift began at the beginning.

Device: something e-ink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
1) Onyx Boox M92 - It can save handwritten notes onto the pdf file i.e. notes are visible outside the ereader too (within the computer or other OS)

2) Pocketbook Pro 902/903 - Notes are visible only inside the ereader. They are saved on a separate file and highlights only can be exported via a text file.

Thanks Feher for the recommendations, may I know what about icarus excel?
radicalshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Icarus Excel = Onyx Boox M92. I.e. the same device, the same firmware, but a different logo.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalshift View Post
Hi, I am looking for an e-ink reader that is capable of taking handwritten notes using a stylus, preferably with a screen larger than 7". I am using it to annotate pdf documents. Something like Asus note ea800, but with e-ink technology. May I know is there such reader in the market? Thanks.
Sorry I am a bit late to this party, but if you are looking for something the the EeeNote with e-ink, look no further than the Hanvon WiseReader N800. It has an 8-inch screen just like the EeeNote, and the functionality is very similar too, including voice recording, and much better note management functions than either the Onyx or the Pocketbook.
On the downside: it is hard to find, and there is no support in the Western world - even the manual is Chinese only. I found it easy to figure out the functions, except one thing: I haven't been able to get the scribbles from the device onto a pc in readable format using the bundled software. The software works, the functionality is there - but I am getting blank pages. I hope I will be able to solve this eventually.
I ordered mine from AliExpress - the seller actually added it to his catalog at my request.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I assume the Sony T2 can do this. Certainly it was possible on the older 650. One could add handwriting to ebooks (incl. pdfs) and also in text memos. Sony are expected to release an updated model in the late summer / autumn.

Also a rooted the Nook STR can run a plethora of apps that will do it, though you will have to look around for the right one that works okay with e-ink and the Nook.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I assume the Sony T2 can do this. Certainly it was possible on the older 650. One could add handwriting to ebooks (incl. pdfs) and also in text memos. Sony are expected to release an updated model in the late summer / autumn.

Also a rooted the Nook STR can run a plethora of apps that will do it, though you will have to look around for the right one that works okay with e-ink and the Nook.
The disadvantage of those devices is that they don't have "palm rejection", i.e. you must be careful not to touch the screen while you are writing, or you will end up with unwanted marks. Try before you buy...
The advantage of course is that they are much cheaper than the wacom-equipped readers mentioned above.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
mimble
mimble began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
[...]

I own the pocketbook (912). This is a frustrating device. The note taking in pdf files almost works, or works sometimes. You can highlight text or scribble over the top, but highlighting is a disaster. It is unbelievably slow. Sometimes, it is just impossible to persuade it to select some text.

Afterwards, you are left with a separate notes file, in something like html format in another directory.
mimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
typol
typol began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
I'm hijacking this topic as my question fits to the topic and differs only in a device size. Which small reader is the best for handwritten notetaking?

Using above answers, but transfering them to smaller devices - is Sony PRS 350 worse with notetaking than Hanvon N518?

@Jmirko Do you know if Hanvon N518 use the same technology as N800 recommended by you?

Thanks in advance for all the answers.
typol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
don't overlook the importance of the stylus tech used in a device.

I never warmed to capacitive styli. There tips were all too large for me making it quite difficult to visually track what I was writting. I've been much happier & productive with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and it's active Wacom stylus.

So before committing a pile of cash and energy learning to use a capacitive device delve a bit deeper to see how those with your needs have adapted or jumped- ship. Since I've moved to the active tech device it is'like night & day for ease of use, accuracy and satisfaction knowing I won't be fighting the device for a basic task.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by typol View Post
I'm hijacking this topic as my question fits to the topic and differs only in a device size. Which small reader is the best for handwritten notetaking?

Using above answers, but transfering them to smaller devices - is Sony PRS 350 worse with notetaking than Hanvon N518?

@Jmirko Do you know if Hanvon N518 use the same technology as N800 recommended by you?

Thanks in advance for all the answers.
Yes, as far as I know (and as I see from Hanvon's website), the N518 uses the same screen+stylus tech as the N800. This is very similar to wacom (used in the Samsung Galaxy Note as mentioned by rkw above). For writing, this is superior to Sony's infrared technology - it's more accurate and you don't need to worry about making unwanted marks if you accidentally touch the screen with your hand.
If you have decided that 5 inches is the right screen size for you, then the N518 is the best choice. If you are willing to go up to 6 inches (more usable in my opinion), then you can choose the N618. Some Onyx devices also offer an active matrix screen, such as the X60 which I will be selling in a few days.