Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #46
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If the OP has severe concentration problems, it may be worth a visit to the doctor because this could be a symptom of something medical such as vitamin deficiency.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #47
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Some people have mentioned exercise bikes or walking. Remember, in the OP I already stated why those ideas wouldn't work.

Doing hand exercises with a stress ball wouldn't work either, as it's too mindless.

I've also seen suggestions for speed reading. I tried it once before, though I'll admit that it was self-taught from the Internet. I read books 1 and 2 of a 4-book story. I quit when I realized that I couldn't remember anything that I had just read. ("I took a speed reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia." Woody Allen)

Somebody I know personally says she reads outdoors in the summer months where there's just enough activity going on around her that she can pay attention to reading and the environment. This sometimes works for me; however, the street I live on has too much activity going on, what with a park entrance next door and a convenience store just down the road a little ways. What it takes is some distraction, but not too much or too little. Another problem with this idea is it only works in the warmer months; right now it's too cold to sit outside. (The local library here in Greenfield isn't an option, as it's always too busy and distracting. It's too small and there's no quiet space to sit and read. At least they're aware of these problems and are trying to find solutions.)
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #48
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
As you've mentioned the library being too distracting - they are nowadays - have you tried sitting in a large bookshop? These are much quieter than the library. What about coffee shops? Some writers think these are perfect places to write, so maybe they would work for reading also.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote