Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
No, ADE reads acsm files. If I borrow an ebook from the public library, they give me an acsm file and I then have to open that with ADE to download the epub.
Yes, that is true if you try to open the ACSM file outside of ADE. e.g. with Windows Explorer. I believe that the OP tried to use the 'Add item to library' menu item within ADE and that is where ADE will not recognize a ACSM file. From within ADE only EPUBs and PDFs are recognized. That is how it works on my Windows Vista computer using version 1.7.2.1131 of ADE.

Last edited by Joe563; 06-30-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #17
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Joe & Jack,

I am going to try again using one file and report back my results. I downloading all the books in my goggle library and then moved them to Dropbox before I tried uploading any file. If the ascm file works simply as a 'pointer' to an epub file then maybe simply moving the files around before opening may defeat the 'pointing' mechanism.

maybe?
If you are not getting any error messages when you open the ACSM file you should check your 'My Digital Editions' folder to see whether the EPUB file has been created.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Ok, I resolved the problem in an a very circuitous way.

When I double-clicked on the acsm file, an old deleted version of the Sony Reader application would pop up with a message that the file couldn't be found it may have been moved, renamed etc. (Don't ask me why, I don't know.)

As I stated before, if I right clicked and selected ADE to open the file with, ADE would open but no book.

So, I reinstalled the Sony E-Reader software just to see what would happen. I then double-clicked the previously downloaded file and it opens in the new Sony application. I then go and locate where the file is stored in my directory, and see that it's now being stored as an epub file.

I open ADE and use the menu option to add an item, then browse to the Sony E-Reader directory, select the file and now it imports to ADE and from there a drag and a drop to Kobo.

I'm not sure why my Mac defaulted to an old deleted software package when trying to open the file. And, I'm not sure why ADE will not open the acsm file.

What I am sure of is, I have a work around for the problem and that sure is nice.

And thanks to all for the suggestions and advice
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #19
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
In my experience, Sony Reader software will always take priority over ADE software for epub downloads, but when I uninstall it, the ADE will accept the download just fine.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #20
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
peitsao,

Thanks for the advice. However, after wrestling with ADE for most of the morning, I am going to use the Sony reader software for now and just drag the files over to ADE. It works and I'd rather read then trouble shoot
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #21
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Maybe you'll see the epub file on your reader?
nope not a one sight of it.

Last edited by jackastor; 07-02-2011 at 11:52 AM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #22
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
peitsao,

Thanks for the advice. However, after wrestling with ADE for most of the morning, I am going to use the Sony reader software for now and just drag the files over to ADE. It works and I'd rather read then trouble shoot
Part of the problem is how the Sony software burrows into the Mac side of things without offering an uninstaller.

It might throw some stuff into places like "/Library/Application Support" that need to be removed before the file associations go back to normal.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
In my experience, Sony Reader software will always take priority over ADE software for epub downloads, but when I uninstall it, the ADE will accept the download just fine.
You set a browser preference not to open things as soon as the download is complete. Then you can choose the program to open it with. In this case, download the .acsm and then use 'open with' to select either Sony Reader software or ADE.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:51 AM   #24
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
In this case, download the .acsm and then use 'open with' to select either Sony Reader software or ADE.
Better yet, use "Get Info" (command-I) on the .ascm file, select the desired app on the "open with" box, then select change all.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #25
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Part of the problem is how the Sony software burrows into the Mac side of things without offering an uninstaller.

It might throw some stuff into places like "/Library/Application Support" that need to be removed before the file associations go back to normal.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote