Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #91
DelRappy
DelRappy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs up

Nice port, running it fine on Kindle 3G US, my life's better now.

Only noticed a few small issues. Right after install, issued commands only took effect as I plugged the Kindle on USB (music played for a split second right as the screen faded into the usual USB screensaver). After I unplugged the Kindle from the PC, commands worked fine, except for the music-playing-faster-than-it-should bug already mentioned in the thread. After hard-resetting the device, as someone suggested, all seemed fine; but after a couple songs, everything stopped working again, requiring a new hard-reset.

But anyway, thanks a lot; despite the bugs, the player's doing great here
DelRappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #92
lizayin
lizayin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
why did mplayer stop when kindle came into sleep mode? what should i do with it? ~>.<~
lizayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #93
DelRappy
DelRappy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Been using it and just figured out that the unexpected crashes I experienced and mentioned were all due to sleep mode, indeed. I guess I'll just turn auto-sleep off or something.

The 110% speed bug seems to happen only with a few songs, but happens with them all if I start mixing up MPlayer and the factory mp3 player.
DelRappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #94
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
No disrespect meant to the original poster, but I'm really confused as to why people are using this when fbdev's compile of mplayer + his "kinamp" mplayer launcher are available. .... Am I the only one who sees 50% cpu usage when using this compile of mplayer??? Both fbdev's compile & the built-in mp3 player use less than 10% cpu.
ryran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #95
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Does kinamp play online radio streams ?
One of the reasons why I still use this.
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #96
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
Kinamp is just a launcher. The player is still mplayer, just like this. Kinamp passes all its arguments on to mplayer, so ... though I have no interest in using it for online streams, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
ryran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #97
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
ryran: it eats around 20% CPU here. It is possible that fbdev's compile of mplayer is better - I have not tried to compare yet. Just use whatever you are happy with - these are just two different compilations of the same software.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:17 AM   #98
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
fbdev's mplayer also plays streaming video, if launched inside luigi's terminal (myts-6) using the -vo aa option. It needs other parameters too such as negative, aspect ratio, contrast and gamma. The video is rendered using characters, and looks good if you stand back aways or squint. I think with really small characters (2 point font) it would look much better. The framerate is surprisingly quick. The CPU is too slow to do a lot of realtime video filtering of action scenes, but if you pipe the output to a file and later cat that to the display it is really fast. For "talking heads" video (like from a news channel) it is usually fairly smooth video. I posted a couple of command lines to play two different video streams, in the kinamp thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-15-2011 at 01:20 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #99
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
fbdev's mplayer also plays streaming video, if launched inside luigi's terminal (myts-6) using the -vo aa option. It needs other parameters too such as negative, aspect ratio, contrast and gamma. The video is rendered using characters, and looks good if you stand back aways or squint...
I was curious to see the video streaming. I tried the command line you posted but only got the audio. I was using fbdev's mplayer too, but it seemed unable to open the video device. Do I have the correct version and parameters?

Spoiler:

[root@kindle kaffeine]# ./mplayer http://a986.l2602438985.c26024.n.lm....eflector:38985 -quiet -framedrop -vo aa:reverse:contrast=50 -vf rotate=1 -monitoraspect 0.7 2
MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

Playing http://a986.l2602438985.c26024.n.lm....eflector:38985.
Resolving a986.l2602438985.c26024.n.lm.akamaistream.net for AF_INET...
Connecting to server a986.l2602438985.c26024.n.lm.akamaistream.net[216.246.87.134]: 80...
STREAM_ASF, URL: http://a986.l2602438985.c26024.n.lm....eflector:38985
Connecting to server a986.l2602438985.c26024.n.lm.akamaistream.net[216.246.87.134]: 80...
Cache size set to 1340 KBytes
Cache fill: 17.91% (245760 bytes)
ASF file format detected.
[asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
[asfheader] Video stream found, -vid 2
VIDEO: [WMV3] 320x240 24bpp 1000.000 fps 400.0 kbps (48.8 kbyte/s)
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
================================================== ========================
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 32.0 kbit/2.26% (ratio: 3995->176400)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))
================================================== ========================
AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...

MPlayer interrupted by signal 15 in module: play_audio

Exiting... (Quit)
[root@kindle kaffeine]#
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:33 AM   #100
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
I was curious to see the video streaming. I tried the command line you posted but only got the audio. I was using fbdev's mplayer too, but it seemed unable to open the video device. Do I have the correct version and parameters?
AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...

MPlayer interrupted by signal 15 in module: play_audio

Exiting... (Quit)
I am testing now...

1) launch myts-6 (shift T T)
2) loop mount and chroot to debian ext3 image
3) cd to video folder
4) run mplayer command shown above (musicbox version)
5) video works! (better if you squint or stand back )

I just realized that this mplayer was installed from the debian repository with apt-get. I also have gcc from apt-get and do native compiles on my kindle. In this case I did not compile mplayer -- only installed the package.

I will attempt to get this debian repository version of mplayer running in the native kindle environment.

I just copied all the mplayer folders from the ext3 image to /mnt/us. After chrooting back to the native kindle root, mplayer reports missing libraries.

It needs a lot of libraries copied... Very tempting to static link it. I suppose the easiest thing to do is copy them all to the mplayer folder and set a library path to it. I copied dozens of library files and each time I run mplayer it tells me one more is missing. There must be a way to get a list of all the files it needs (EDIT: later discovered ldd). Building from source failed (wrong header files).

Sadly, it will abort if *any* codec libraries are missing, even though it only needs ONE of them. I can see why fbdev left them out. And they are rather large too.

Okay, after individually locating and linking about 50 libs, I googled and found ldd. That tells me there are 120 library dependencies. I piped it to a file and I will convert that to a script to copy all the missing files. Yuck... Static linking would make one huge file with all those. I suppose the build could leave out all but the most popular codec libraries...

Now I copied all 120 libraries (40 MB) identified by "ldd mplayer" into /mnt/us/mplayer/lib, and I did "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/mplayer/lib". Running mplayer no longer reports missing libraries. Now with parameters if reports "Illegal instruction" and with no parameters it reports "Segmentation fault". And with this LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, other linux commands fail the same way. This is apparently the linux version of Windows "DLL Hell". This sucks...

Perhaps the libs will shrink enough if I compress them with upx, so they could fit on the native kindle root. Need to resolve the library problem first though.

Any suggestions?

(At least it works when installed on the kindle with apt-get).

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-17-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #101
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I am testing now...

[...testing, testing, more testing...]

Any suggestions?

(At least it works when installed on the kindle with apt-get).
Thanks for your efforts but don't sweat it anymore, I was just asking by curiosity. I don't think streaming video on a Kindle is that important.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #102
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Thanks for your efforts but don't sweat it anymore, I was just asking by curiosity. I don't think streaming video on a Kindle is that important.
The reason open source works as well as it does, and in some cases results in software that is superior to commercial software, is that everybody has a different background, with different interests and different areas of special competence.

Although it may seem trivial to some, it is important to me to have a sunlight-viewable low-power display that CAN do at least some reasonably-fluid video. I also want to connect a foldable serial keyboard (old-style hard-wired PDA keyboard like on ebay these days for about $5). I saw that yifanlu expressed disinterest in attaching a keyboard or mouse to an ebook reader, but in my case, I have a long history of making minimal hardware perform tasks that nobody thought was even possible.

To each his own, as they say.

And because various incarnations of mplayer can already do streaming audio, then what the heck, why NOT add at least a couple of popular video codecs?

At this point, I want to learn how to port a reasonably sophisticated a (i.e. library-dependent) app to the kindle without relying on a loop mount. "Just because", you know? For now at least, I will move on to other things.

For instance, I discovered that my K4 uses an 8 bpp (bits/pixel) framebuffer, and a lot of the kindle framebuffer source code out there fails if the framebuffer is anything other than 4 bpp.

A device is not properly hacked until it runs Doom, as they say.

Here is Doom on eInk devices:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131374
http://www.geekosystem.com/doom-ii-eink-ereader/

Yes, I know that live video on eInk will drain the battery faster, but I want it, and that is reason enough. I probably will not be satisfied until I have a mirasol display device like the new color Hanlon though.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-17-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #103
joekang101
joekang101 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3G
Help Needed for Kindle Playlist

PLEASE HELP!!!!
I just installed mplayer a couple of days ago and I can't get the playlist to work properly. I put a list of radio streams and they all work, but only individually. for example, i can play only the first stream in my playlist using ^ML, but when i press next ^MN it just pauses the music and it does not move to the next radio stream. Any help appreciated.

Joe

Last edited by joekang101; 12-22-2011 at 10:44 PM.
joekang101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:05 AM   #104
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekang101 View Post
PLEASE HELP!!!!
I just installed mplayer a couple of days ago and I can't get the playlist to work properly. I put a list of radio streams and they all work, but only individually. for example, i can play only the first stream in my playlist using ^ML, but when i press next ^MN it just pauses the music and it does not move to the next radio stream. Any help appreciated.

Joe
My playlists seem to work just fine. Here is the thread with mine, which is a list of about 60 radio streams. Look at the command I use and see if yours differs. Although, I use Kinamp along with mplayer, which I recommend if you don't.:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=147854&page=2
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #105
UserXYZ
UserXYZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Cool my modifications

Hi all.

For my first post, I wanted to give my contribution to this subject, in a form of my modification of parts of this mplayer package.

I have modified control.sh script and mplayer.ini config file to control volume, using 5way "joystick" which I have on Kindle Keyboard.
Ofcourse, if you have another version all you need to do is change keyboard mappings.

Add this to mplayer.ini in launchpad's folder (/mnt/us/launchpad):

# volume
M FW_Up = !/mnt/us/mplayer/control.sh volup
M FW_Down = !/mnt/us/mplayer/control.sh voldn
M M = !/mnt/us/mplayer/control.sh mute

Modified control.sh is in the attachment - rename from control.sh.txt to control.sh and replace in /mnt/us/mplayer on your Kindle.

Works nice for me, albeit a bit clumbersome with UP and DOWN, but I felt it was the logical way and didn't want to mess with regular keys if they are used by something else.
Attached Files
File Type: txt control.sh.txt (1.9 KB, 281 views)
UserXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, mplayer, music, ogg, streaming