Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
sark666
Connoisseur
sark666 began at the beginning.

Device: colognesbook
can the camera connection kit be used for charging the ipad?

I don't have an ipad yet and considering purchasing one. There are things that bug me about apple and a big one is proprietary ports. I've read to get a usb port you can use the camera connection adapter, but can this be used to charge the ipad itself when plugged into a computer with the adapter?

I might stay at friends out of the city from time to time, and it's annoying to know I will need to bring (or buy a second) adapter to charge the device.
sark666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
No. The adapter provides a USB [A] host. You cannot connect a USB host to another USB host (eg. your computer).... at least not without a special cable. Also a USB host can only supply power, not draw it.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
If you plug the ipad into a standard USB charger such as for the iPhone or direct computer connection the power output is not great enough to charge it whilst the screen is active.

You will notice in the upper right it says not charging. Once you turn off the display the unit will slowly charge, you can test this by connecting it to your computer and leaving it overnight then checking the charge difference in the morning.

The latest Macintosh computers will have one high power USB port that will charge the unit. Some other manufacturers also use high power USB for external DVD burners for laptops. I have read that Dell and Acer both do this.

The dock connector is proprietary but it is also ubiquitous. When traveling, if you need a cable you will always be able to find one, unlike some weird mobile phone charge cables that are USB but only fit the one phone & some cameras do this too.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
sark666
Connoisseur

I wouldn't go so far as to call it ubiquitous. I know no one who has one, (but yet they all various usb cables for various sizes) so I would always need the cable with me which is annoying.

But thank you for clarifying that. I thought maybe with the adapter (which is more portable) I could have charged anywhere.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
The iPad ships with a power adapter and USB cable. It does not ship with earphones.

The power adapter is quite small and will easily fit in a carry bag whilst travelling and can be used for almost all the other ipods and iphones.

The power adapter is also universal, it handles 110-240v all you need is a suitable power cable or plug adapter for wherever you are.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
I've uploaded almost a thousand photos several times in one sitting using the camera connection kit and transferring photos doesn't seem to use up too much battery life.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
sark666
Connoisseur

Thanks for your replies. I've just gotten used to being able to use any old usb cable with devices. Case in point, I was staying at a friends for a long weekend, and my kobo died. He had mini usb and charged it overnight and was good for reading on the way home. Same with a bb, or pretty much any portable device.

I get the vibe you guys are defending apples choices but there is no reason for proprietary cables in this day and age.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sark666 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I've just gotten used to being able to use any old usb cable with devices. Case in point, I was staying at a friends for a long weekend, and my kobo died. He had mini usb and charged it overnight and was good for reading on the way home. Same with a bb, or pretty much any portable device.

I get the vibe you guys are defending apples choices but there is no reason for proprietary cables in this day and age.
If Apple adopted any standard connector it would be PDMI. A USB slave isn't remotely as versatile as the Dock connector.

Last edited by Dylrob; 11-28-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
sark666
Connoisseur

You won't get any argument that usb has it's shortcomings, you could even say it's crap, but it's universal crap.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Stuart727
Stuart727 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
This may be what you're looking for.

I came across this thread when I began looking for a way to use a standard USB cable to charge my iPad. I had two reasons for wanting to do this. 1) I wanted to leave my iPad cable where I use it at home, so I didn't need to pack it up and unpack it when I travel. 2) I wanted to cut down on cable bulk in my luggage.

Like sark666, I had hopes for the camera connector. When I found that it wasn't suitable, I continued searching until I found this:

http://www.podgizmo.com/products/125...c-adapter.aspx

Amazon also sells a retractable sync cable for a little higher price.

With either, you still need a USB power source, but those are pretty easy to come by.

Last edited by Stuart727; 02-16-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: trying to make the link work
Stuart727 is offline   Reply With Quote