Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
heb
Enthusiast
heb began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Smile Cybook Still Available in September?

Please can someone tell me if the Cybook still scheduled for release in September?

I noticed in other threads that some members were due to get evaluation units and Bookeen seem to be very quiet considering September is approaching quickly.

I very nearly bought an Iliad before I went on holiday but had to invest in more dead tree books as they were out of stock. I am coming up to another big Amazon order but would like to hold out if there is any chance of getting a Cybook

Since seeing the Cybook I have decided the Iliad is porbably a bit too pricey and doesn't really function as well as a dedicated ebook device.

Thanks,

Richard.
heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Yeah, I'm curious too! And for the Asus EEE also.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by heb View Post
Please can someone tell me if the Cybook still scheduled for release in September?
That was the latest we heard, but I wouldn't be surprised if it slipped. History shows that these things are always late. Bookeen are totally dependent on external suppliers.

Quote:
Since seeing the Cybook I have decided the Iliad is porbably a bit too pricey and doesn't really function as well as a dedicated ebook device.
It's a different device, certainly. The iLiad is larger, which is both a plus and a minus. The CyBook will have a much longer battery life. The CyBook is a dedicated bookreader; the iLiad a general-purpose computer. I have an iLiad and will definitely be buying a CyBook. They are complementary devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
We at NAEB are under the impression we will be getting our evaluation units shortly.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That was the latest we heard, but I wouldn't be surprised if it slipped. History shows that these things are always late. Bookeen are totally dependent on external suppliers.

It's a different device, certainly. The iLiad is larger, which is both a plus and a minus. The CyBook will have a much longer battery life. The CyBook is a dedicated bookreader; the iLiad a general-purpose computer. I have an iLiad and will definitely be buying a CyBook. They are complementary devices.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Yeah, I'm curious too! And for the Asus EEE also.
See Asustek to start volume shipments of Eee PCs in September. This link was just reported on umpcportal. Note that the "mainstream" version will apparently be $349.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
roncri
Enthusiast
roncri began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
We at NAEB are under the impression we will be getting our evaluation units shortly.

Derek
LOL. I thought you were under the impression that you were getting them in June, July, Late July/Early August.
roncri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes! Exactly so! And we're *STILL* under the impression!

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncri View Post
LOL. I thought you were under the impression that you were getting them in June, July, Late July/Early August.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 AM   #8
heb
Enthusiast
heb began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Hi Derek,

Please can you tell us if the units you are receiving are production units or still pre production prototypes?

Also if you are not under NDA are you going to do a review of the device?

That ASUS device looks interesting, it would suit my partners needs for the occasional bit of surfing and email perfectly, but for an ereader I have my heart set on E-Ink and a book like form factor.

Thanks,

Richard.
heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you clarify, Derek - are the NAEB devices going to be the same CyBook device that will be sold via the Bookeen website, or something different? I notice, for example, that the NAEB website says that your units will be white, whereas the standard Bookeen model appears to be black.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Asustek to start volume shipments of Eee PCs in September. This link was just reported on umpcportal. Note that the "mainstream" version will apparently be $349.
Thank you wallcraft! That thing was supposed to be $200USD now it's up to $369USD(according to the link) ? Not as interesting anymore considering the $450CAD (around $400USD)I saw advertized at WalMart's.

HYPE!!?!!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Thank you wallcraft! That thing was supposed to be $200USD now it's up to $369USD(according to the link) ? Not as interesting anymore considering the $450CAD (around $400USD)I saw advertized at WalMart's.

HYPE!!?!!
I bet that $369 price includes WinXP.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

One model will be $199, one $299 and the others are, IIRC, $369 and $399. So the barebones 7" model will still be under $200. Or so it says on the website of that link.

Derek

Quote:

HYPE!!?!!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

They are going to be exactly the same as what Bookeen is showing on their website. Originally, as in when we were setting up the Specifications page on our site, Bookeen was planning on offering both a white and a black version but if I understand correctly, the quality of the white cases was an issue. So you can have any color you want as long as it's bad, beautiful black!

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you clarify, Derek - are the NAEB devices going to be the same CyBook device that will be sold via the Bookeen website, or something different? I notice, for example, that the NAEB website says that your units will be white, whereas the standard Bookeen model appears to be black.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

Heb,

We are getting engineering samples. That means, from what I've studied about such processes, they are fully functional as far as the base system is concerned and the hardware. However, Bookeen, has, to the best of my knowledge, custom app software that needs to be loaded in. Remember, the hardware and the base software would naturally be installed by the device manufacturer anyway... And if I understand the generic process used by many developers who use OEM systems, once the production run starts, the hardware/OEM manufacturer will load in the final custom software before it leaves the manufacturer.

We WILL be reviewing the devices and posting that review on our website. Also, I have a Sony PRS-500 to compare it to. And I'm set up to take images of the ereader in action. Did I mention I have several LED booklights to show the coverage and glare or lack of? Should be quite comprehensive.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by heb View Post
Hi Derek,

Please can you tell us if the units you are receiving are production units or still pre production prototypes?

Also if you are not under NDA are you going to do a review of the device?

That ASUS device looks interesting, it would suit my partners needs for the occasional bit of surfing and email perfectly, but for an ereader I have my heart set on E-Ink and a book like form factor.

Thanks,

Richard.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:37 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification, Derek. Late or not (and I think it most likely will be late given that you've not yet had your engineering samples) I'm very much looking forward to getting a CyBook. Can't wait for your review!