Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:24 AM   #166
chazzy2501
chazzy2501 began at the beginning.

Device: N647b KoBO
The blue error light comes on only. (I disconnected the battery, so no red) No screen movement, it's stuck showing the old loading screen from before imaging. Same result I get if I were to power it up without a Micro SD present.

I know of a broken Kobo Wifi (screen broken) I'm going to fetch it today.
Hope it's a Marvell. I don't think the screens are replaceable.

EDIT: Also the original card had two 256MB partitions and a single 1.3GB partition unlike the image you sent me.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 AM   #167
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
The blue error light comes on only. (I disconnected the battery, so no red) No screen movement, it's stuck showing the old loading screen from before imaging. Same result I get if I were to power it up without a Micro SD present.
You did this with the battery disconnected and only USB power? If so, connect the battery, leave it to charge for a couple of hours and then try again without the USB connected. If the battery level is to low, these devices don't boot. And I'm not sure if they will boot without the battery connected
Quote:
I know of a broken Kobo Wifi (screen broken) I'm going to fetch it today.
Hope it's a Marvell. I don't think the screens are replaceable.
I think the cost of a new screen means repairing them isn't worth it. But, cannibalising one to fix another is always fun.
Quote:
EDIT: Also the original card had two 256MB partitions and a single 1.3GB partition unlike the image you sent me.
Huh? The image is for the whole card. It should contain the three partitions plus the rest of the card. The partition sizes might not be exactly the same, but that should be OK so long as the partition table is correct.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 AM   #168
chazzy2501

yes the image you supplied had a 256mb a 512mb and a 1.03Gb partition layout. I'll charge the unit and try again. I now have an image of the other unit it also had an "m" cpu so fingers crossed. I'll try both images when its charged.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #169
chazzy2501

ok, full charge. No activity with either image. Just the blue light. The second devices SD card layout is 256mb x2 and 1.3gb like mine so I was hopeful. Do I have to hex edit a serial?
Old 08-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #170
chazzy2501

update: I burned my image to the original micro SD card (I have two for quick swapping both 2GB). I realized also that the device seemed to react the same if I no card or imaged card in, so this time I also crammed it in a little harder than usual (to make sure) it felt the same but the device has come to life! It's a copy of the broken one perfectly. it even has additional books. Yay!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #171
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to hear. But, it makes me wonder if that was the problem all the time. The card was not sitting quite right.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #172
sooboy
sooboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Add me to the list

Good afternoon all:

My parents gave me their old Kobo WiFi and asked me to update it with some new books. I made the mistake of plugging it into the same computer I use to manage my Kobo Mini and managed to brick the Wifi. Could I trouble you for a copy of the Image. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #173
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@sooboy: There is no issue using the same PC to manage multiple Kobo devices. The real issue is that there seems to be an issue with the WiFi upgrade bricking some devices.

What has been done by some people is to get in touch with Kobo themselves. Several have been sent a new device to replace the bricked WiFi.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #174
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@sooboy: You should follow PeterT's suggestion, but I have sent you the link just in case.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #175
Simsima
Simsima began at the beginning.

Device: n647b
Hi davidfor, can you please send me the image also. N647B
Thank you
Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #176
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent
Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #177
emilioea
emilioea began at the beginning.

Device: Wolder MiBuk Gamma, Kobo eReader, Kindle Touch
Hello! I've been following this threads for some time, and perhaps here I can get some clues. I have a Wolder MiBuk gamma 6.2, and it worked very well, untill one day I was reading, turned it off accidentally, and while it was turning off I tried to turn it on again... big mistake. It never went on again. Instead, the green led turns on, and nothing happens. I have tried everything (ok, not everything, but MANY things), including hooking up a serial port and trying to get a console, manually partitionning the internal microSD, I even desoldered the processor, reballed it and soldered again!... anyways, It doesnt boot up.
Later I noticed a model from Kobo has the same motorola processor (iMX357), the same e-ink Epson driver, and basically the same hardware (Wifi, microSD, etc)...
So, the question is this: does anyone have a raw image from the internal microsd, so I 'sudo dd' one and try my luck? Perhaps it works... perhaps it doesn't, but I have nothing to lose.
Also, is anyone interested in a hardware research about this? I have plenty of photographs I took when disassembling it. I'm no noob regarding electronics, and have some experience with embedded Linux, but not as much as I would like. I have a kindle touch now, but I really would like to recover this ebook (and gain more knowledge in the process... =).
Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #178
bookbrowser
bookbrowser
bookbrowser began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wi fi
me too thanks David
Old 09-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #179
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

emilioea: I doubt it will help, but I have sent a PM with a link to the image.

bookbrowser: I have sent you a PM as well.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #180
emilioea
emilioea began at the beginning.

Device: Wolder MiBuk Gamma, Kobo eReader, Kindle Touch
thank you davidfor, i doubt it too, but it seems wolder is also "Netronix compliant"...
Closed Thread

Tags
image, kobo, kobo wifi, sd card, wifi