Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Readmill closing

Excerpt:

Quote:
At every turn, your feedback shaped Readmill’s development, and your passion signaled a new chapter for reading. Together we wrote in the margins of ebooks and discussed our favorite passages from across the world. Thank you for helping to bring this reality into view.

Readmill’s story ends here. Many challenges in the world of ebooks remain unsolved, and we failed to create a sustainable platform for reading. For this, we’re deeply sorry. We considered every option before making the difficult decision to end the product that brought us together.
https://readmill.com/epilogue

I did give the app a try on my iPad, but, to be honest, I didn't use it, as I already have a lot of reading apps. Still kind of sad to see them go, though.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Yeah, seems lots really liked Readmill. I wasn't fond of the "social reading" aspect, so I didnt persist with it.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It's going to be pretty hard to create a reading app or ebook store that does more than sit on the margins. The last figures that I saw had Amazon at 60-70 %, B&N 15-25 %, Apple 10-20 % and everyone else at < 5%.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can't say I've ever heard of it. What is (was?) it? An app? A bookstore?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You could use Readmill to extend the Kindle Highlights page and import it into their site. A few apps used their API to create mobile/web apps in which you could then use to study these among other stuff. It had great potential, just not a lot of developers wanted to tap into it.

You could also read books with their apps and do highlights within them.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Heitor
Enthusiast
Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.

Device: iPad Air 2, Nexus 7 (2013), Zenfone 3 5.5, Kobo Aura
I'm one of Readmill's saddened users. The app was pleasantly effective in its purpose. It embraced a philosophy of simplicity —there were no typeface choices, only size—, but the available options were well selected. The visual rendering of text was really beautiful, and I hope other reading apps to give (even) more attention to this aspect. The cloud storage was very easy, and all the social aspect of reading and the treatment of highlights and annotations were a strong point of distinction. Anyway, I may say that my sadness isn't bigger because there are plenty of alternatives, on iOS and Android, some of which I already use (Kindle, Marvin, Moon+ Reader, etc).
Heitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heitor View Post
—there were no typeface choices, only size—
What typeface was used?
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Heitor
Enthusiast
Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.

Device: iPad Air 2, Nexus 7 (2013), Zenfone 3 5.5, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by arslonga View Post
What typeface was used?
According to this site, it is FF Scala.
Heitor is offline   Reply With Quote