Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Dagger213
Dagger213 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
question on upgrading to a kindle 2

Hello,
I currently own a Kindle 1 and was thinking of upgrading to a kindle 2.
I saw the Kindle 2 Dx and its much bigger screen.
My question is, In your opinion, is it worth the extra price to go to a DX?
Amazon currently wants over $200 more the DX.

Thanks

Joe
Dagger213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I think it depends on how you are going to use it. I upgraded to a K2 from a K1 - I love it. I can stick it in my briefcase, my purse. But if I were using it to read work pdfs, the larger size would be nice.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
It really depends on your personal requirements/desires. I have both the K2 and the DX and use both equally. Even though I have no requirement to view PDFs, my preference for reading goes to the DX for its excellent display size. More text and fewer page turns are a big plus in addition to viewing illustrations. Think of comparing the size of a paperback book to that of a hardcover. Which do you prefer?

That said, if your requirements include mobility and a smaller footprint, you cannot go wrong with the K2. I use it primarily for the extensive traveling I do but could just as easily take my DX as it is thin and lightweight (IMHO).

With Amazon, you can give the DX a try for 30 days and exchange it for a K2 if you find that would be a better fit for your needs. Win-win.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Dagger213
Dagger213 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Thanks for the fast reply's.
There are good points raised that I didn't consider.
I would mainly use it to read books and my local newspaper.
I have plenty to think about over the next few days.

Joe
Dagger213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I recently went from a K2 to the DX and I think it was a good step. I like the larger screen but it is not as portable as the K2 but since I have an iPhone I use I use that when I cant take the DX...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger213 View Post
Hello,
I currently own a Kindle 1 and was thinking of upgrading to a kindle 2.
I saw the Kindle 2 Dx and its much bigger screen.
My question is, In your opinion, is it worth the extra price to go to a DX?

Thanks

Joe
Earlier this year when buying my 2nd K2i I could have gone with the DXi but decided not to for one reason, it only has buttons on the right side. I read using my left hand though I do change now and then. I have physical reasons but I am also a firm believer that all reader devices be hand-agnostic. So that made my decison for me even though I did really want a large format reader even if it was not color.

If that sort of stuff does not matter for you then the DXi is not a bad device though there are other options and will be more this year as other brands ramp up production. Plus there will be whatever the K3 turns out to be and I do suspect Amazon will hold off on the large format version of the K3 until they can use the new flexible plastic panels. But delays in that could force their hand since the game is constantly changing.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:30 AM   #7
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger213 View Post
In your opinion, is it worth the extra price to go to a DX?

Thanks

Joe
In my opinion, absolutely NOT. The K2 is just fine for what you described as your needs.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:37 AM   #8
Habakkuk
Reader
Habakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I read using my left hand though I do change now and then. I have physical reasons but I am also a firm believer that all reader devices be hand-agnostic.
You can turn the DX upside down and the buttons will be on the other side - text flips automatically, so even changing hands, and orientation, is possible.
Habakkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakkuk View Post
You can turn the DX upside down and the buttons will be on the other side - text flips automatically, so even changing hands, and orientation, is possible.
then the joy of the keyboard on top of the device...sorry no thanks. But thanks for taking the time in your suggestion. To me it is a design short coming. And enough of one that I won't ever buy a KDx until it is addressed.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 2 upgrade, kindle 2 vs kindle dx