Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
spiegels
lifetime reader
spiegels began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Library books on Kindle

I have borrowed some e-books from my local library and downloaded them in Mobi format. I then used kindlefix to make them readable on my Kindle. Then i used Mobi2Mobi to correct the scrambling of the author's name and title. Using the USB, i dragged them over to my Kindle.

The books now look "normal" on my Kindle and I am enjoying reading them. Since this is the first time I have done this, what will happen at the 15th day to these 14 day rentals?

I'm assuming i have altered the DRM but not removed it by making the book Kindle readable.

Thanks

Steve
spiegels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiegels View Post
I have borrowed some e-books from my local library and downloaded them in Mobi format. I then used kindlefix to make them readable on my Kindle. Then i used Mobi2Mobi to correct the scrambling of the author's name and title. Using the USB, i dragged them over to my Kindle.

The books now look "normal" on my Kindle and I am enjoying reading them. Since this is the first time I have done this, what will happen at the 15th day to these 14 day rentals?

I'm assuming i have altered the DRM but not removed it by making the book Kindle readable.

Thanks

Steve
Your books will expire and you will not be able to open them on your Kindle. The one exception to this is that Kindle will not know they have expired unless you turn on Whispernet or hook your Kindle to your computer. So, if you're in the middle of a good book, don't do either of the above until you finish it!

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
spiegels
lifetime reader

Leep

Thanks for the response. If the time stamp is not on the file in the Kindle, how would re-connecting allow the expiration to be sent?

Probably obvious to you but not to me.

Thanks again

Steve
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindlefix does not remove the DRM or the date stamp. It just adjusts the format sothat the book can be read on Kindle.

cheers
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Your books will expire and you will not be able to open them on your Kindle. The one exception to this is that Kindle will not know they have expired unless you turn on Whispernet or hook your Kindle to your computer. So, if you're in the middle of a good book, don't do either of the above until you finish it!

cheers
I don't think that's true. The Kindle knows the date. Whispernet has nothing to do with whether the ebook expires.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't think that's true. The Kindle knows the date. Whispernet has nothing to do with whether the ebook expires.

I think when you run Kindlefix, it installs a little man in there.......he knows when the book is expired, and takes it back to the library.

I'm just sayin'.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
spiegels
lifetime reader

Seems plausible; I'll let you know in 12 days what happens.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Leep
Guru

Can't tell you why. Just know that if I've wanted to finish a book that "should have expired", I can still read it until I turn on Whispernet or plug my Kindle into my computer.

cheers
Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Not sure how a date/time stamp works on the Kindle but here is the situation on my Sony.

When I copy a pdf library book to my Sony it will pick up the date/time from the device. The book will automatically expire once the 14 or 21 days has been reached. A small work around that someone pointed out allows me to change the date on my reader which will either reduce/extend the library books expiration date. All of this is assuming I don't connect my reader to my pc and open up ADE (it may sync and tell the ebook the correct date).
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
We are suffering the effects of the ebook market-lock war. I just got a used K1 and wanted to load library books onto it. I managed to get one transferd in about a half hour, but the title is munged and the book won't open. I'm 90% of the way there, but if it's this difficult for every library book I'll probably give up. Amazon only wants you to buy from them. Guess I should have researched more

Greg
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
I managed to get one transferd in about a half hour, but the title is munged and the book won't open.
If the book won't open you are doing something wrong. It should open even with the bad title. Did you follow the Visual Kindle Guide in our wiki?

As far as editing the Title/Author info, install calibre, import the book into it, edit the information and then "Send to device". Easy peesy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
spiegels
lifetime reader

Library downloads

Quote:
We are suffering the effects of the ebook market-lock war. I just got a used K1 and wanted to load library books onto it. I managed to get one transferd in about a half hour, but the title is munged and the book won't open. I'm 90% of the way there, but if it's this difficult for every library book I'll probably give up. Amazon only wants you to buy from them. Guess I should have researched more

Greg
Greg

I agree with Bob. I use Kindlefix and then Mobi2mobi_gui.

Yesterday, I downloaded a book and from the time it hit my computer until it was available to be copied over to my Kindle was 7 minutes and it was only that slow because I went back to amazon's site to get the right title and description type of metadata.

On the bright side, last Friday when I got my Kindle and started working with this it seemed like a frustrating endless task and now it's, let's just say, easy peesy.

Steve

Gee, where did I read that?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Yep I followed the Visual Wiki, it was very clearly done. It only took me a half hour because I had to install python, get my PID, etc. So yes I must have done something wrong. I'll try again when I get home and see what happens.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yep I followed the Visual Wiki, it was very clearly done. It only took me a half hour because I had to install python, get my PID, etc. So yes I must have done something wrong. I'll try again when I get home and see what happens.
Ok, let us know how you get along with specific issues you have. I'm sure it's something simple that's missing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
InlawBiker
Connoisseur

Alright, I tried this again. I used an entirely different computer and went through the process again - installed the python scripts, triple-checked my PID at the library is correct and it matches the kindlepid.py output based on the serial number, which I also double-generated from Amazon.com and the back of the unit itself - the PID is correct.

I still get the message "the selected item could not be opened" on the Kindle. This happens whether I use the Mobi2Mobi rename script or not - which does work by the way.

Ideas... could my firmware upgrade have wrecked this method of reading library Mobi's on the Kindle? I upgraded it to version 1.2 first thing when I got it. I hope this is not the case.

The library also has on file the PID of my Mobipocket Windows software reader. I haven't tried the book on that reader yet, I'll do that when I get a chance.