Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #241
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
This plugin will work with either the calibre beta (QT5) or production (QT4) versions.
Are you addressing Jon as to the intentions for this beta-version?
Or are you proclaiming it so through personal experimentation?

DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #242
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I was attempting to address Jon. Sorry I should have made that more clear....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #243
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was attempting to address Jon. Sorry I should have made that more clear....
Darn! I was hoping for the other (or both).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-20-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #244
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigh... suppose I should install a portable version of calibre and see how all these new toys work.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #245
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sigh... suppose I should install a portable version of calibre and see how all these new toys work.
I probably tested it enough for both of us if you want to sit this one out.
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #246
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I probably tested it enough for both of us if you want to sit this one out.
I installed and on initial tests all seems good.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 AM   #247
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there a way to shrink the size of a file after using Kindle Unpack on it? I unpacked a Kindle file that wouldn't work as is on my Kindle (bought from Mobipocket yrs ago) and the HTML file I got as a result is 89 MB in size. It's a bit large to try to make a epub out of it and I have no idea how to convert it to work like it should for reading.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #248
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there a way to shrink the size of a file after using Kindle Unpack on it? I unpacked a Kindle file that wouldn't work as is on my Kindle (bought from Mobipocket yrs ago) and the HTML file I got as a result is 89 MB in size. It's a bit large to try to make a epub out of it and I have no idea how to convert it to work like it should for reading.
KindleUnpack strives hard to stick to an "Only What's In There" approach. If you're getting a single 89Mb html file out of KindleUnpack, then almost assuredly, an 89Mb html file was given to Kindlegen/mobigen/mobipocket-creator to create that Kindlebook in the first place.

"Shrinking" such a file is not what you want to do. If you want to create an ePub out of it (and KindleUnpack should have created an epub already--regardless of how large the html file is), your best bet will be using calibre's book-edit, or Sigil to split the html file into smaller, logical sections or "chapters."

Hope something there helps.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #249
shotsky
Enthusiast
shotsky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unpack Epub

I use Calibre to convert from various ebook formats to 'htmlz' at this point, which is the only way I know of to get all the html files into a single file. Unfortunately, Calibre replaces a lot of classes with its own made up classes, which 'breaks' the meaning of various existing classes. All I really need is one single html file, unmodified, and the photos. The htmlz export joins the files, but it converts the classes as well, even though there is no need to do so.
I've just installed the KindleUnpack plugin, and it does exactly what I need - merge the html files into one file, without using Calibre's conversion routines, which renames classes from whatever they were to 'calibexx', which causes a loss of the original class names.
The only problem I still have is that I need the same feature for Epub files. Would it be impossible to add that as an import format?
What would be even better would be to add a 'unpack' feature to Calibre itself, which would take any input format, merge the html files, and provide a zipped output.
So, my three most important needs are:
1. Merge the html files into a single file
2. Not change or rename classes.
3. Run from the command line.
Thanks!
shotsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #250
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotsky View Post
I've just installed the KindleUnpack plugin, and it does exactly what I need - merge the html files into one file, without using Calibre's conversion routines, which renames classes from whatever they were to 'calibexx', which causes a loss of the original class names.
Be warned: KindleUnpack does not "merge" html files into one file. The older mobi formats (and KF8 Kindlebooks that were created with single html files) will produce one single html file when KindleUnpack runs. But rest assured, if multiple html files (either on their own, or within an epub) were used to create a newer KF8 Kindlebook (with either kindlegen or calibre), multiple html files will be the result when KindleUnpack encounters them.

Quote:
The only problem I still have is that I need the same feature for Epub files. Would it be impossible to add that as an import format?
KindleUnpack is designed to allow users to study/tweak the internal structures of Kindlebook (MOBI, PRC, KF8, Print Replica) formats. It only produces an ePub as a convenience (and because is it is becoming increasingly more likely that an ePub was used to create the Kindlebook to begin with). I don't think it very likely that the KindleUnpack plugin will ever allow users to select ePubs from their calibre libraries to manipulate. That's just not what it's for.

Quote:
What would be even better would be to add a 'unpack' feature to Calibre itself, which would take any input format, merge the html files, and provide a zipped output.
Thanks!
I wish you luck with that. A plugin should certainly be able to do something like that. You might want to post something in the "Plugin Ideas" sticky thread and see if you can drum up any support/development.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #251
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are programs available to merge HTML files into one HTML files. Google is your friend.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #252
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotsky View Post
I use Calibre to convert from various ebook formats to 'htmlz' at this point, which is the only way I know of to get all the html files into a single file. Unfortunately, Calibre replaces a lot of classes with its own made up classes, which 'breaks' the meaning of various existing classes. All I really need is one single html file, unmodified, and the photos. The htmlz export joins the files, but it converts the classes as well, even though there is no need to do so.
Thanks!
A manual way of doing this would be:

- Open the ePub in the calibre editor
- Select all the HTML files
- Right click on them and select "Merge selected text files"
- Press OK when prompted
- Save the changes and close the editor
- Change the file extension to HTMLZ
- Open the file with your favourite zip file manager and remove the extra files

The only issue I can think of is the stylesheets. If there are multiple stylesheets in the epub, they will probably all be referenced in the final HTML file. But, if there are duplicate selectors across the stylesheets, the final result could be interesting. And that is the reason calibre does the renaming.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #253
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
KindleUnpack strives hard to stick to an "Only What's In There" approach. If you're getting a single 89Mb html file out of KindleUnpack, then almost assuredly, an 89Mb html file was given to Kindlegen/mobigen/mobipocket-creator to create that Kindlebook in the first place.

"Shrinking" such a file is not what you want to do. If you want to create an ePub out of it (and KindleUnpack should have created an epub already--regardless of how large the html file is), your best bet will be using calibre's book-edit, or Sigil to split the html file into smaller, logical sections or "chapters."

Hope something there helps.
Thanks for the ideas DiapDealer.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #254
Sesselmann
Sesselmann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
KindleUnpack Icon Vanishes (calibre 1.4.7)

Hi,
I've come to realize that the KindleUnpack Icon always vanishes
after a few seconds (see attached video) eventhough the plugin works
(If you're fast enugh).
Does anyone know why?

kind regards,
Sesselmann

Edit: I've now found out that it vanishes, after calibre mounts my kindle.
So I'm not sure if this really is a KindleUnpack bug.
Since i'm new to calibre so: Should I report this somewhere else and if "yes",
where (I'm talking about the vanishing of button(s) after mounting the kindle)?
Attached Files
File Type: avi Untitled.avi (1.89 MB, 221 views)
Sesselmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #255
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesselmann View Post
Hi,
I've come to realize that the KindleUnpack Icon always vanishes
after a few seconds (see attached video) eventhough the plugin works
(If you're fast enugh).
Does anyone know why?

kind regards,
Sesselmann

Edit: I've now found out that it vanishes, after calibre mounts my kindle.
So I'm not sure if this really is a KindleUnpack bug.
Since i'm new to calibre so: Should I report this somewhere else and if "yes",
where (I'm talking about the vanishing of button(s) after mounting the kindle)?
Calibre has separate toolbars for when there is and isn't a device attached. You clearly only have KindleUnpack displaying on the toolbar without a device attached.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi