Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Cleaning the reader

Any tips on cleaning the screen on the reader? I have heard that you shouldn't use Windows (due to ammonia) on an LCD monitor cause it can eat the plastic.

Is the same true for the reader screen? What can you use on it? LCD cleaner? Eyeglasses cleaner?

Thanks,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have heard that you shouldn't use Windows ...
I've heard that. Some around here are quite adamant about it, too!

I'm sure you meant Windex. I actually don't know and hope someone answers your question because I want to know, too. I've been using a damp paper towel and little dish soap.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 11-12-2007 at 06:20 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
I would say just a microfiber cloth if you want to be really safe.

The normal admonishment for not using Windex on displays is that many computer displays have antireflective coatings which can be stripped off by the chemicals in glass cleaners.

I'm not sure if the Reader has such coatings or not. Personally when I do use a cleaner, I suggest something like Sparkle, which doesn't have ammonia and I think does a better job of leaving a streak free clean then Windex anyway.

Anyway, I would expect if you want to use a liquid, a little dab of water or isopropyl alcohol on a soft cloth I would expect is ok.

I know this is crazy, but did the manual have anything to say on the subject (I didn't read it either)
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman View Post
I know this is crazy, but did the manual have anything to say on the subject (I didn't read it either)
I tried but my Reader is too dirty to read it. Okay, that's not true. It says:

"Clean the Sony Reader's case with a soft cloth, such as a cleaning cloth for eyeglasses. If the Sony Reader's case becomes very dirty, clean it with a soft cloth slightly moistened with water or a mild detergent solution. Do not use any type of abrasive pad, scouring powder, or solvent, such as alcohol or benzene, as it may mar the finish of the case. Be careful not to let water get into Sony Reader from the opening near the connector. Clean the headphone plug periodically." And don't ever use Windows.

Okay, that last part wasn't there.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Microfibre cleaning cloths work very well indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Microfibre cleaning cloths work very well indeed.
They do in most cases.

Sometimes my reader gets sprayed in spittle from all the discussion it gathers in family meetings and newbie evangelisation sessions. As a furniture builder, finisher and restaurer, it has been shown in 30 odd years of doing it and of sharing with others of many trades, that there is one safe product to use for anything. Dishwashing detergent. The next time you do dishes, before starting, damp the corner of the drying rag in the clean liquid, wring it of free water and clean. Then immediately dry all surfaces.

This is the gentlest method for any cleaning. It adds no silicone build up and has none of the bad effects that solvents contained in some cleaners may impart on more fragile materials. Chlorines will over time 'crystallize' plastics and show it by first yellowing them.

Tip for furniture: If you think that a piece you like needs refinishing, not due to scratches, just try this. You will have a pleasant surprise as this antique will lose that temporal grime, without losing any value.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Be careful not to let water get into Sony Reader from the opening near the connector.
Now you tell me! I just threw mine in the dish washer, ane it came out clean as a whistle.
It fixed the dreaded 2-second page turn problem.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Now you tell me! I just threw mine in the dish washer, ane it came out clean as a whistle.
It fixed the dreaded 2-second page turn problem.
Now it doesn't turn pages.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now you have a nice clean gray surface without those annoying black symbols all over the page.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I have heard that you shouldn't use Windows (due to ammonia) on an LCD monitor cause it can eat the plastic.
Doh! Yes, I did of course mean Windex. I personally make a living using Windows (the Microsoft kind not the glass kind) and probably wouldn't if that weren't the case.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Microsoft is announcing a new product soon.. Microsoft Windex. It's to be used when you want to free yourself of Vista.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Microsoft is announcing a new product soon.. Microsoft Windex. It's to be used when you want to free yourself of Vista.
Or it will clean the Windows to get a better Vista!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Any tips on cleaning the screen on the reader? I have heard that you shouldn't use Windows (due to ammonia) on an LCD monitor cause it can eat the plastic.

Is the same true for the reader screen? What can you use on it? LCD cleaner? Eyeglasses cleaner?

Thanks,
BOb
I either just use the cloth I got for cleaning my glasses OR I spray the safe glasses wipes with eyeglass cleaner and use that..... figure if it's okay for prescribe glasses it's fine for the reader.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #14
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings View Post
I either just use the cloth I got for cleaning my glasses OR I spray the safe glasses wipes with eyeglass cleaner and use that..... figure if it's okay for prescribe glasses it's fine for the reader.
Too much trouble. I just throw mine in the dishwasher and bingo, clean reader.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
Too much trouble. I just throw mine in the dishwasher and bingo, clean reader.
It's so clean, not even the dirty black text gets on the screen anymore.