Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #4201
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My daughter (age 11) wanted me to share with you, my friends, that besides her other reading intrests, including those for school, that she has read 29 books of the Warriors [aka Warrior Cats] series, since Christmas. She is very proud of herself.
That's awesome. She's done very well!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #4202
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
My daughter (age 11) wanted me to share with you, my friends, that besides her other reading intrests, including those for school, that she has read 29 books of the Warriors [aka Warrior Cats] series, since Christmas. She is very proud of herself.
That's fantastic! Tell her we're proud of her too!

And very interesting coincidence - I was browsing my library's site earlier and saw they had a bunch of cool looking books with awesome cats on the covers, and it was that series!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #4203
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's awesome. She's done very well!
Thanks for putting a big smile on her face! Her goal is 35 by this Christmas.

I can't wait for her to be old enough for Dresden. She certainly has the intelligence and academic maturity, but I'm not sure if its appropriate, otherwise.

I'm pretty sure she will be by 13 or 14.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #4204
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Favourite Quotes from SKIN GAME

New game for today. How about your favourite quotes from Skin Game.

Here are mine, in no particular order, but probably chronological how they got added into my clippings file. Not going to always say who says it, but hey, look it up if you die to know.

Let's see who can come up with other funnies.

Here is mine: (Melon Soda, don't look. You will spoil yourself if you have not read, please use caution carefully, don't say I did not warn you)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Butcher in Skin Game
Locations are for the Kindle version for easy lookup. Numbered for easier reference in replys.
Spoiler:
  1. 446-447: “You . . . you bitch.” Mab slapped me. Okay, that doesn’t convey what happened very well.
  2. 466-467: “I expect you to repay my debt by fulfilling my instructions,” Mab replied. “After that . . .” Her smile returned, smug in the shadows. “I expect you to be yourself.”
  3. 874-875: If you cross Mab, you can skip your next five-year plan.
  4. 1193-1194: If it comes at us, I’ll knock it away and we meep-meep right the hell out of here.”
  5. 1593-1594: “I hate dreams like this,” I said. “There’s no plot—just random weird things happening. I get enough of that when I’m awake.”
  6. 2811-2813: “I dealt with the White Council my whole life, so I’m used to being treated like a mushroom—” “Eh?” Ascher asked. “Kept in the dark and fed bullshit,” Binder reported calmly.
  7. 4960-4961: Not only that, but I had another advantage—during the past year and a half or so, since I’d been dead and got better, I’d been training furiously.
  8. 5147-5150: “Tell you what,” I said. “Why don’t you go play Simon, Concentration, checkers, chess, solitaire, Monopoly, Sudoku, Clue, Risk, Axis and Allies, poker, and blackjack all at the same time, while counting to twenty thousand by prime numbers only, standing on one foot and balancing a Styrofoam cup of hot coffee on your head. And when you can do that, we’ll start you with walking through a small campfire.”
  9. 5640-5640: “Sir Harry,” Hades rumbled. “Knight of Winter. Be welcome in my hall.”
  10. 5899-5900: “I don’t know how you said it back in the day, but I’ll bet you anything her first word was ‘dada.’”
  11. 2469-2470: “I mean, I was accustomed to a certain degree of hubris from you, but . . . this is stunning. Even on your scale.”
  12. 2508-2509: “You are pathologically incapable of knowing when to quit. You don’t surrender. And I don’t believe for a second that you actually intend to help Nicodemus do whatever it is he’s doing.”
  13. 2975-2976: “And just because I don’t go to bed with everything with a vagina doesn’t mean I’m repressed.
  14. 4932-4934: I shifted to a maniacally indeterminate European accent and said, “We’re going through.” “The Black Hole?” Grey asked, incredulously. “Nobody quotes The Black Hole, Dresden. Nobody even remembers that one.”
  15. 7090-7090: “Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave.”
Well the best one for last:
  • 3371-3374: “Bro,” he said, “you’re totally cockblocking me.” In answer, I picked up the monster revolver. “No,” I said, and then I freaking cocked it, drawing the hammer back with my thumb. Rather than a mere click, it made a sinister ratcheting sound. “Now I’m cockblocking you.”
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #4205
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Army, huh?

My son will be, or at least wants to join ROTC (or JROTC) this year when he starts high school.
I know that the discipline and routine will be good for him, but I still can't help but freak out a little every time I think about it.
All good and well, but DO NOT let him go on a tour overseas. That will mess him up for the rest of his life. My son is still messed up from having been over there.
Advert
Old 08-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #4206
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 29 books since Christmas

Quote:
That's GREAT!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #4207
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
That's fantastic! Tell her we're proud of her too!

And very interesting coincidence - I was browsing my library's site earlier and saw they had a bunch of cool looking books with awesome cats on the covers, and it was that series!
LOL! Thanks! You should hear her. The series is like a soap opera. I don't know how she remembers all of their names, who belongs to which clan, who mated with whom, who betrayed whom, plus all of the titles for the different types of cats - kittypets = house cats; stray = loners; a group of strays = rouges; wild cats are the clan cats and then with in the clans you have leaders, deputies, medicine cats w/ apprentices, queens, kits (which are the newborns), elders apprentices/paws, warriors, etc. Oh and there is even a clan specifically for the cats that have passed away called the StarClan.

Its amazing, amusing and astonishing!!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #4208
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
LOL! Thanks! You should hear her. The series is like a soap opera. I don't know how she remembers all of their names, who belongs to which clan, who mated with whom, who betrayed whom, plus all of the titles for the different types of cats - kittypets = house cats; stray = loners; a group of strays = rouges; wild cats are the clan cats and then with in the clans you have leaders, deputies, medicine cats w/ apprentices, queens, kits (which are the newborns), elders apprentices/paws, warriors, etc. Oh and there is even a clan specifically for the cats that have passed away called the StarClan.

Its amazing, amusing and astonishing!!
Eleven, huh? Careful that is when Harry Potter found our he is a wizard. Don't let her get into Harry Dresden yet, but maybe Potter won't be too bad for her.

She is pretty involved in books for eleven. Good job.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #4209
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
All good and well, but DO NOT let him go on a tour overseas. That will mess him up for the rest of his life. My son is still messed up from having been over there.
Oh! Don't say that! I'm having a hard enough time as it is, specifically because my son was recently diagnosed with Asperger's. However, he is entering high school and I have to allow him to make decisions (with guidance, of course) for himself.

But I have to ask, if you don't mind sharing, how and why do you feel it messed up your son?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #4210
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Eleven, huh? Careful that is when Harry Potter found our he is a wizard. Don't let her get into Harry Dresden yet, but maybe Potter won't be too bad for her.

She is pretty involved in books for eleven. Good job.
I've been trying to get her to read Potter since she was 9! LOL

It just didn't resonate with her. She liked the first movie and wanted to watch the second, but I told all of the kids that they had to read the first book first. None of them have taken me up on it (which saddens me, actually - because I loved the book series, personally).
Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #4211
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
That's GREAT!

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #4212
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Oh! Don't say that! I'm having a hard enough time as it is, specifically because my son was recently diagnosed with Asperger's. However, he is entering high school and I have to allow him to make decisions (with guidance, of course) for himself.

But I have to ask, if you don't mind sharing, how and why do you feel it messed up your son?
Ok, not from what he seen from the war. Rather what happened in his own damn unit. And unfortunately that is not the only one that had bad experience from their own over there. Somebody else we know (different unit) seen things that would not fly on american soil - again in his own unit. There is a lot looking away from the higher ups if it is convenient for them. Not going into any specifics though.

If he goes with complete unit he knows from over here, and they all go and stay together, then it is a whole different story.

Not trying to scare you - it was bad for us before he went, and worse after he started opening up after quite a while. After he came back and was save, unhurt (physically) and alive.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #4213
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I've been trying to get her to read Potter since she was 9! LOL

It just didn't resonate with her. She liked the first movie and wanted to watch the second, but I told all of the kids that they had to read the first book first. None of them have taken me up on it (which saddens me, actually - because I loved the book series, personally).
Maybe they don't like to be blackmailed? Usually it is the other way around - you read book, great, now you want watch movie. The movies are not all that great - they don't make sense unless you already read the books. Maybe you should let them watch the other movies as they get darker each time. And maybe they want to read it then - as it is not staying young kids. Even though I think that Harry Potter books are more enjoyable when you are older. Similar to the movie Lion King - it is great and fun for kids, but you can't understand everything (especially the jokes and references) until you cease to be a kid. Age wise that is, we all have still kid in us - some more than others.

Harry Potter movies are so-so. Too much unexplained jumping around. The books have so much more detail and extra scenes that are simply missing in the movies. And the transitions are very sloppy. Stay true to the books, yes pretty close, whichever scenes made it into it.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #4214
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Maybe they don't like to be blackmailed? Usually it is the other way around - you read book, great, now you want watch movie. The movies are not all that great - they don't make sense unless you already read the books. Maybe you should let them watch the other movies as they get darker each time. And maybe they want to read it then - as it is not staying young kids. Even though I think that Harry Potter books are more enjoyable when you are older. Similar to the movie Lion King - it is great and fun for kids, but you can't understand everything (especially the jokes and references) until you cease to be a kid. Age wise that is, we all have still kid in us - some more than others.

Harry Potter movies are so-so. Too much unexplained jumping around. The books have so much more detail and extra scenes that are simply missing in the movies. And the transitions are very sloppy. Stay true to the books, yes pretty close, whichever scenes made it into it.

I can tell from my own experiences (not Harry Potter, though) that it's better to watch the movie first and read the book later. The book is always better. If you read the book first then watch the movie later, it often doesn't measure up to our expectation, and thus the whole experience can be rather disappointing.
BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #4215
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Picture of Harry Dresden

...................Will this portrait affect Harry's life like Dorian Gray's did?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy