Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #31
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
Is the inclusion of advertising part of an Author's contract with his publisher?
It wasn't specifically provided for in that contract, so they had no right to do it. That was the gist of our case and the German publisher, after a bit of huffing, backed down. As I recall, I kept my share of the advance; and the pulping cost them a lot of money, so they wouldn't have given in if they weren't in the wrong.

What annoyed me, besides the interruption of the narrative, was the inevitable impression that I had been paid in respect of the ad.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #32
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Only if they are giving away the Ebook reader, and using ads to cover that cost.

Otherwise, no dice.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #33
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
I wouldn't have an issue with an (understated) ad at the end of an occasional chapter. How would you feel about that... just curious.
Being an author and eBook publisher I must say I'd consider that very annoying. The only two places I'd accept (and consider) ads are before the very first chapter and after "The End". And on a separate, new page. But never ever as part of the text.

Sure, the main problem with ads at the beginning and the end is - aside from maybe being removed by a script - that readers would simply skip those pages, ignore them. They simply wont grab readers' attention.
May change on the iPad with full color and animated GIF dogs (the living nightmare of the '90s web).

Finally, advertisements for other novels of the same author or the product line of the publisher are as old as pulp novels or paperback books. So this should be more than acceptable in eBooks.

Last edited by K-Thom; 02-02-2010 at 06:58 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #34
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
And advertisers will try more and more extreme measures in order to get and hold the consumer's attention. If you are relying on the restraint of advertisers to keep eBook ads understated, then you have a lot more faith in the advertising industry than I do.
Well... I just recognize that even advertisers are sensitive to the point at which consumers say "enough" and avoid the product because of the ads. They're not stupid... they are not going to do something that will drive away the customers they want to sell to. So they figure out what ads work... in e-books' case, understated ads... and that's what they'll use.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #35
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Finally, advertisements for other novels of the same author or the product line of the publisher are as old as pulp novels or paperback books. So this should be more than acceptable in eBooks.
I kinda miss those, actually...back before the Internet, it was one of the few ways to really find out about other books in the same genre.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #36
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I kinda miss those, actually...back before the Internet, it was one of the few ways to really find out about other books in the same genre.
Yup, especially if it were full page ads with cover and some text blurb. I wouldn't have noticed a lot of these authors if it weren't for those ads.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #37
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We can duly expect most ads (though possibly not all) to be genre-related, or targeted at the readers that are assumed to read that genre. If the ads are properly targeted, the reader will not feel "intruded upon," because the ad will be for something they most likely have an appreciation for. As these are the more likely people to respond to an ad with sales, this is what the advertisers will be aiming for.

Hence, e-book ads in most cases should be well-targeted and unobtrusive, even desired (or at least looked forward to), as kjk describes. Any advertiser that breaks this obvious rule would be stupid, because it would only annoy potential customers and lose sales.

Advertisers can rarely afford scatter-shot advertisements in isolated locations... it's bad business. To expect them to put scatter-shot ads in e-books would make little business sense... they'd be better off putting their ads on a subway car.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #38
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
No problem for me if handled properly

I would have no problem with discrete, tastefully handled ads. I imagine it being like Google text ads, set between chapters and at the end of a book.

I see this as a reasonable compromise: It enables authors to supplement their income (so they can afford to keep on writing) while not being too disruptive to the flow of the story (since you can just skip over them) and not bastardizing the story content through things like in-story product placement.

It's easy enough for a disinterested reader to skip over while the ads can be highly targeted to meet the interests of a typical reader (if the publisher and advertisers are doing their homework).

Animation, sound, flash, etc are all a big thumbs-down--not to mention that simple text ads work really well if implemented properly.

EXAMPLE:

(lots of mindless action, a moment of romance, an amusing one-liner leads to the chapter ending of...)

and then the world exploded--

--------------------
ADVERTISING

OUR SPONSORS ENABLE US TO OFFER THIS EBOOK AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE:

text ad

text ad

text ad

END ADVERTISING
---------------------

Chapter 6: After the World Explodes
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #39
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Please...no blatant product placements!

"Sherlock Holmes reached for his violin, pausing first for a sip of his cool, refreshing, and energizing Red Bull (TM)"
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've already seen some Star Trek eBooks with adverts for Asimov's Magazine at the end. It's just a graphic. And given that it's ePub, I can easily remove the advert.

So sure, bring on the ads. I can just remove them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Look at the ads on this site. How bright, annoying and "in your face" are they? Not very, I daresay. And it's not as if this site just sprung up yesterday. As you said, the web's been around awhile... and there are still plenty of understated ads on long-standing sites. I reiterate: Assuming all ads will eventually become horribly annoying is an overreaction, and doesn't fit the evidence of the progression of ads on the web.
What ads on MR? Oh yes, I use Adblock Plus. Bye-bye ads.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #42
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Does ePub support floating text ads which could say occupy the bottom 2 lines of the display? Maybe with a text highlight color where supported?
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #43
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
In the US, isn't it now established that skipping ads on PVR's is legal? How is that different from doing the same in books?

If I'm subjected to advertising, I believe that I should be paid -> by allowing me free or greatly reduced cost of the media in which the advertising is embedded. Less advertising, I'm willing to pay a bit more.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #44
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Problem is they will add advertising and then NOT lower the price.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #45
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Problem is they will add advertising and then NOT lower the price.
Advertising can still be reasonable if it keeps prices from rising... though, if you're going to do that, you'd better be able to show your readers why it was necessary.

Basic economics suggests that a one-time payment from an advertiser to an author, for a product that costs virtually nothing to distribute worldwide in an instant, would result in high distribution of the ads, in turn resulting in a higher return on investment. Any number of products could be sold that way, with a modest payout to the writer.