Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Literary Pattern Matching

interesting commentary on software pattern matching and literature.

http://links.techwebnewsletters.com/...TkS1&mt=1&rt=0

exerpt: Pattern matching is one thing computers do really well. Take a bushel of data, throw it at a computer, and be amazed by the results. That's more or less what Sebastian Bernhardsson, Luis Enrique Correa da Rocha, and Petter Minnhagen, all members of Sweden's Umea University Department of Physics, did anyway. What is particularly interesting about their data was that it was a collection of books by Thomas Hardy, D.H. Lawrence, and Herman Melville — authors I haven't thought much about since university.

And what the researchers discovered was that by applying statistical analysis and pattern matching techniques to literature written by these authors, they were able to identify unique literary "fingerprints" of each author......

See link above for full text.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
This is very cool. I think Google Books and Amazon are both well positioned to build a Pandora for ebooks (previous discussion here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55891) as they have all the texts as well as the software expertise to compute book fingerprints like this. I don't know if they will, given all the distractions they have to deal with. Perhaps a smaller company can get started with the Gutenberg catalog to build a recommendation system based on fingerprints, and then get acquired by Google or Amazon
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And what the researchers discovered was that by applying statistical analysis and pattern matching techniques to literature written by these authors, they were able to identify unique literary "fingerprints" of each author......
This is really old stuff. I first heard about this type of literary analysis some time in the 1980s. Really. There have been dozens of projects that seek to identify or appraise books by studying the author's "fingerprint" in this way.

Admittedly, the hardware and software are much more powerful now, and so no doubt does a better job of it. But it's hardly new technology.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe that the concept has been around likely even before computers. It's really about the "feel" of a writer's work I think. I'm also quite sure not only the computer technology but the linguistic analysis techniques have improved tremendously since the first attempt.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I believe that the concept has been around likely even before computers. It's really about the "feel" of a writer's work I think. I'm also quite sure not only the computer technology but the linguistic analysis techniques have improved tremendously since the first attempt.
I'm sure you're right on both counts. But, in any case, thanks for starting this discussion. It's an interesting area. I just felt it was a pity that Dr Dobbs was touting it as something new.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I'm sure you're right on both counts. But, in any case, thanks for starting this discussion. It's an interesting area. I just felt it was a pity that Dr Dobbs was touting it as something new.
Well, you know how it is with magazines, news, marketing, and fashion everything old is new again.