Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Since you have been reading electronic books I have been reading
More 123 72.78%
About the same 43 25.44%
Less 3 1.78%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #31
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Owning an ereader probably has led to a bit more reading.

Surprised that no one has mentioned audiobooks. In the past year I have rediscovered them, and that has been the factor that has led to a big jump in reading. Having a smart phone that you can effortlessly load several audiobooks onto with an app that can skip back a few seconds if I missed something, and speed up pace of the narration has really revolutionized audiobooks for me. In the past audiobooks just were not appealing or convenient enough. I can now "read" while at the gym, doing housework, going for walks, etc. I used to listen to a ton of music, but that has been reduced dramatically as a result of audiobooks.
The K3 does have TTS capability but for some unknown reason Amazon didn't see fit to implement that feature into the PaperWhite. I don't know why not as it would certainly be useful if you are out and about and want to listen to a book, or have bad eyes so that the increased font helps you find what you want and then you can listen to it. Hopefully in the next Kindle they will put that feature back in.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #32
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I've been reading about the same amount since getting my Kindle - I've always been an enormous bookworm and I'm a frequent victim of the "woman's purse", so I can always fit a book into my handbag. My reading selections have changed, though, as the Kindle has made many different kinds of books much more accessible (something that immediately comes to mind is the tens of thousands of public domain texts available in my country). In that light, I'm reading more in terms of what I'm reading, but I haven't noticed any change in the quantity of books read.
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #33
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Definitely more.
And now I've started with this whole audio book thing too....no stopping now..
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #34
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
My sense is more, although it might not be a fair comparison. I've been e-reading for a decade, and almost exclusively digital for 8 years.

In the 5 years prior to my e-reading, I was in college and graduate school. My leisure reading was very limited, since I had heavy school reading loads (grad school averaged 4 books and 12 journal articles per week. Luckily, I worked in a library, and then a bookstore - places that didn't frown on reading on the job)

And really, when you're doing that much required reading, leisure time isn't usually spent reading.

I think the contrast between lugging heavy tomes for school and reading novels on my Sony Clie made the transition to ebooks easier.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #35
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
much, much more, dude. In my home-work-home bus trips I spend around 2 hours daily. Having a library in my pocket makes it a breeze. That's it, no more heavy tomes, no more backpacks or mallets, just a library in a pocket.

It's amazing how quickly even something like A Song of Ice and Fire melts away during bus trips...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #36
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
I am reading a lot more, and a wider variety of genres. I read much more non-fiction than I used to. The two main causes of my increased consumption are cost [e-book is nearly always cheaper than (paper book + postage)] and portability - I always have an e-reading device with me.
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #37
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Much more.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #38
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
It depends - compared to when? I read a LOT as a child/teenager/in my twenties, but then I pretty much ran out of space for new books at home (small flat, no more space for more bookshelves) and by then I was largely reading in English and didn't really care for translations for anything I was able to read in the original, so libraries became as good as useless as well.

So there was a good few years in my early thirties where I basically just read fanfic - a LOT of fanfic - but relatively few actual books.

Once I got my first e-reader though, it's been back to 120-170 novels a year, which is still less than what I read as a child but considerably more than in the pre-ereader years.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #39
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
About the same, but I read and try out a wider variety.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #40
Lili819
Lili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLili819 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: MPB, iOS, Kindle PW
Living abroad means very few books available besides NYT Bestsellers.

Super excited since getting the PW
Lili819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Surprised that no one has mentioned audiobooks. In the past year I have rediscovered them, and that has been the factor that has led to a big jump in reading. Having a smart phone that you can effortlessly load several audiobooks onto with an app that can skip back a few seconds if I missed something, and speed up pace of the narration has really revolutionized audiobooks for me. In the past audiobooks just were not appealing or convenient enough. I can now "read" while at the gym, doing housework, going for walks, etc. I used to listen to a ton of music, but that has been reduced dramatically as a result of audiobooks.
I don't think the e-reader changed the number of books I read, but getting an mp3 player and discovering audiobooks have made a huge difference. As you say, it's now possible to "read" while doing other mundane things, and more time to read translates to more books read.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #42
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I have never been what I'd consider an avid book reader, but since I bought my first eReader in April (4 months ago), I've probably read more books since then than I have in the past 5+ years! For text-only books/novels I find it is just so much more convenient & easy to read.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #43
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Less for me, but it has nothing to do with ebooks: I started working around the same time as I started to read ebooks. Less free time = less reading...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote