Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
fatran
fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx M92
sorting of files and folders

In M92, firmware 1.8 (1.8.20121113), there are 6 options for the sorting of files and folders in file explorer.

I have difficulty in sorting of folders.

When I set "sort By Title", M92 correctly sorts both files and folders. Files are sorted by the title in the file properties. Folders don't have the title, so they are simply sorted by folder name.

However I have thousands of PDF files with empty or wrong title field in the document properties. Therefore I want to sort by file name. I set "sort By Name", and M92 correctly sorts files (by their filename). However, folders are sorted randomly - neither by folder name, neither by their date, neither by their size.

The similar problem is with the "sort By Author" - folders are sorted randomly.

My question: What does it mean "sort By Name" when applied to folders?

I have searched forum, but found only booxtor's description of fw1.8, where during the sorting, the folders are grouped first - before files. No mention about sorting of folder within their group. (Firmware updates ...)

Last edited by fatran; 03-23-2013 at 10:12 AM.
fatran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
frank0734
frank0734 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92 White Pearl
I am frustrated by the same problem.

I think a good, yet probably not easily implemented, solution is to take advantage of database from Calibre or other library software with which you can organize all your documents - either epub, mobi, or pdf, djvu. This can be nice b/c organizing stuff on a computer is always easier than doing it on a slow, flickering ereader.
frank0734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
frank0734
frank0734 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92 White Pearl
Or when Android is ready, then you can easily use the less awkward apps available in Android, or, use a Calibre companion.
frank0734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I am not sure, but if you switch the tag database, set in Boox options to use only filenames, it should work fine. I do not have M92 at hand, to check it.

It should sort folders and then sort filenames. At least it used to work like this. (It was my wish not to mix folders and files and group those two and sort them separately, and it was implemented long time ago.)
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
fatran
fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

If you meant by the tag database the "View Title Setting", I have tried it, and it doesn't affect the sorting. I have tried both "display filename" and "display book title" settings. In both cases, when you sort "By Name", folders are sorted randomly.

Not mixing of folders and files is OK for me. I wish only to have meaningful sorting of folders, when I apply "sort By Name". Otherwise I must often change the sorting - "By Title" in top level folders and "By Name" in lowest level folders (where the files are). It is frustrating.

I don't want to play with the shuffling of files between computer and e-reader. It is a hassle comparable to the change of sorting between folders. If I need to take computer everywhere with my e-reader, the e-reader becomes useless. I use only 5 GB of my 30 GB SD card for now and this bug already bothers me.
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I've tested on my M92 and sorting of files and folders works fine. Both groups are alphabeticaly sorted as one would expect.

So, I do not know why you have a problem. My settings in Settings/View Title Settings is "display file name".
And setting in Settings/Metadata Extraction - No.

Do you happen to use accented letters in folder names? If yes, it might cause problems...

I have firmware 1.8.1 20121113

Last edited by Mono; 03-26-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
fatran

I have repeated your settings:
- View Title Settings = "display file name"
- Metadata Extraction = No

I have 17 folders in top level hierarchy of SD. Folder names use only ASCII character set - lower case letters and underscore (_). It suffice, if I show you only first two letters from the names (the folder "_fikcia" shortened to "_fi", "pocitace" shortened to "po" and so on).

Now the situation when I sort "By Title" - folders are sorted OK, in this order:
_fi, _mo, ae, de, ek, ja, le, li, ma1, ma2, me, pi, po, st, ve, wi, z_

Now I sort "By Name" - folders are in this order:
ma2, z_, ma1, le, li, me, wi, pi, ve, po, st, ae, _mo, _fi, de, ja, ek,
Old 03-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Mono
Mono

Well, I believe you.

In my case folders and files are sorted as expected. And it has the same sorting order despite method I use "By Title", "By Name" or "By Author", which is also +-correct. 100% correct would be, if "By Title" and "By Author" is disabled.

Try to have a look, if folders are not in some circumstances sorted by creation time or usage time instead of alphabetic order. I might have folders created in alphabetical order and so bug is invisible for me...

Also note that my firmware is 1.8.1 not 1.8.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
fatran

Where did you get 1.8.1 firmware?
I have just updated latest firmware 2013-03-22, and my M92 says it is version 1.8.

Even with the latest firmware the sorting behavior is the same. I have created test case (folders created in alphabetical order) and put it here http://www.filedropper.com/test_42. On my device it looks like this
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Mono
Mono

If I understand it well, you have ArtaTech firmware...

I have classical Booxstor's firmware published at this forum. The latest one from November + two fixes for pdfreader.

For me folders are always sorted OK, despite sorting method used.

Sorting By Author sorts files by author tag.
Sorting By Name and By Title gives me the same results. Probably the tag for title is set to filename in my case...

Last edited by Mono; 03-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
fatran

I assumed, that all distributors use the latest source code from onyx and add their own features on top of it. It's sad and confusing situation.

Thank you, Mono, for your help. At least we have managed to localize the problem. I have contacted customer support and gave them the link to this forum. I am waiting for solution.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
fatran

Now, in the update http://onyx-ereader.pl/download/M92/...e-20130407.zip , it is finally fixed.

Folders are always sorted by the name of folder and folders are always sorted before files.