Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nope, still like my K3 best of anything available, no interest in any of the new Kindles ('cept the Fire, but I don't read on it, and I'm constantly cleaning it.) The KT, without physical page turn buttons on the sides is an absolute non starter for me. If I had to get a new basic reader, it would probably be a Nook STR.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I bought the KT because I wanted the extra space so I was willing to put up with the touch screen, I had nothing but problems with it. It wouldn't import collections on successfully on the first one then it died on me.
How frustrating to have had so many issues! Has quality control gone down since the K3? The collections issue sounds like a firmware problem; hopefully, a bug fix will be pushed out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I didn't think I would like a touch screen reader. But I got the Sony Reader WiFi and I LOVE it. It is an excellent reader. I love having both page turn buttons and the ability to turn them via the touch screen. I have over 2000 books on it and no problems whatsoever. Wish I could say that about my Kindles.
I did think the Sony was really nice; my mom is more of a gadget fanatic than a reader, so when she gets bored with the Sony, I might try to inherit it! If I was making my purchase today rather than a year ago, I would probably go with the Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsenglish View Post
Even though I use a Sony Touch (PRS-350) I still find myself using the physical buttons more for page turning. For navigation, however, I still prefer it hands down to navigating on the K3 or K4

Prediction - Amazon will release another touch edition with physical page turn buttons (probably not anytime soon, though).
Yeah, that's the big thing: let me have tactile feed back for page turns AND the ability to hand write notes in the margins.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
For writing notes the touch is awesome, but I've mostly changed my mind about it. I prefer the more tactile button turning and I find the no touch kindle to be faster, more responsive, and with no ghosting (which the touch has). Excepting the battery (which I think is a fine trade off for being a bit lighter) I think that the no touch is the superior reader and I will be selling my touch. I hope that amazon always keeps a bargain no touch kindle around.

Unless you take alot of notes, I think that the touch interface is a bit of a novelty and not necessary for ereaders. I don't think that the infrared works nearly as well as the capacitive touch on tablets either.

I'm not dissing the kindle touch, it is a fine ereader, but I find that I did change my mind just not in the way that the OP had in mind.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
How frustrating to have had so many issues! Has quality control gone down since the K3?
I think it is safe to say it has. The K4s suffer from quality of contrast. It has been suggested that Amazon is binning their screens now. I have heard of KTs with the same problem but not as much as the K4s. The K4's back's finish is wearing off on mine already. I always though the back of the K4 was cheap feeling.

Does the KT have the same kind of back finish on it?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Well, I'm the odd one out I guess. I recently bought a kindle touch and love it.
It was completely unnecessary, as I have a perfectly good kindle 3.

I told myself I'd wait. However, I use the dictionary a lot, highlight, and make notes. I grew tired of how long these activities took via the scroll pad. It interrupted the flow of reading.

The touch is a great successor - it's far faster to look up words via a simple tap, very natural to highlight with your finger, etc. I haven't found fingerprints a problem - nothing like my iPad - the touch seems to resist smudges.

I have jumped several pages ahead a two or three times - which was a tad confusing - but not serious enough to offset the benefits.

The little lighted cover is very slick as well. So though it was completely unnecessary, sheer wanton materialism, I'm very pleased with it.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #21
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
So though it was completely unnecessary, sheer wanton materialism, I'm very pleased with it.
You go, girl. We need more wanton women.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You go, girl. We need more wanton women.
Better not encourage me
Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those of you who's experience with touch is a tablet or cell phone, it's nothing like the IR touch of a pearl screen. You don't really get fingerprints on a pearl screen. I have an iPad and a 650 and the 650 hardly shows fingerprints.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I didn't "need" my Sony T1 or my Kindle Fire, both of which I got last month. They are both so cool, though!

If Amazon comes out with a Kindle Touch with more buttons (like my Sony has--page turn, home, menu, back) then I will be sorely tempted. My Sony is way faster than my Kindle Keyboards. And it has over 2000 books on it already. I have more to add. I want to add them all. Well, all my series books, anyway.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For those of you who's experience with touch is a tablet or cell phone, it's nothing like the IR touch of a pearl screen. You don't really get fingerprints on a pearl screen. I have an iPad and a 650 and the 650 hardly shows fingerprints.
That's my experience as well.

Quote:
My Sony is way faster than my Kindle Keyboards. And it has over 2000 books on it already.
It handles 2000? Wow - that's impressive.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't "need" my Sony T1 or my Kindle Fire, both of which I got last month. They are both so cool, though!

If Amazon comes out with a Kindle Touch with more buttons (like my Sony has--page turn, home, menu, back) then I will be sorely tempted. My Sony is way faster than my Kindle Keyboards. And it has over 2000 books on it already. I have more to add. I want to add them all. Well, all my series books, anyway.
I want a T1 but hubby says I have too many readers as it is.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The T1 can handle a lot more than that! And it has a card slot so the sky's the limit.

Blossom, my DH said that, too! I didn't let it stop me! Honestly, the problems that my KKs (2) have given me made me want a different e-ink reader. I still love my KKs but I am really happy that I am no longer limited in the amount of books I can put on a reader and still expect it to function quickly and efficiently. I was afraid to get a Kindle Touch after being frustrated with my KKs. With my Sony having a card, I don't have to limit myself, and also, I have nested file folders, which can't be done on my Kindles. (The Sony is rooted--I could even put the Kindle app on there if I wanted to. I have coolreader & FBreader on it).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #28
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Does the KT have the same kind of back finish on it?
Yep...it's the same in finish and construction really.

Regarding the OP's question I spent a LONG time trying out both the Kindle 4 NT and the Touch to be sure and no matter how tempted I was to try the Touch I just knew the NT felt better to me. Everyone has opinions on these issues but I found the slight lag and the fingerprints (which were very visible to me) annoying. Other than the screen QC issues the only hardware issues I wish were changed about the NT would be using the larger battery the Touch and K3 have, and adding an SD slot.

For me one of the biggest issues I have with touch anything is lack of tactile feedback and indexing. Haptic feedback won't change this either as it's a half measure. I don't believe touch screens will "replace" keys and buttons at all...they will of course be used in certain applications as they are now but things like the kepboard have evolved to work as well as they can. Porting a keyboard to touch technology removes a lot of it's functionality.

Last edited by heeby; 04-05-2012 at 08:53 PM.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
The T1 can handle a lot more than that! And it has a card slot so the sky's the limit.

Blossom, my DH said that, too! I didn't let it stop me! Honestly, the problems that my KKs (2) have given me made me want a different e-ink reader. I still love my KKs but I am really happy that I am no longer limited in the amount of books I can put on a reader and still expect it to function quickly and efficiently. I was afraid to get a Kindle Touch after being frustrated with my KKs. With my Sony having a card, I don't have to limit myself, and also, I have nested file folders, which can't be done on my Kindles. (The Sony is rooted--I could even put the Kindle app on there if I wanted to. I have coolreader & FBreader on it).
Well I am stuck with my 3 Kindles till one goes out but I do see me getting a T1 eventually. He wants a Kindle Fire. I told him to get a real tablet he doesn't read at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
Yep...it's the same in finish and construction really.
This makes me leery of buying a KT. I should take a pic of how bad my back plate of my K4 looks. I plan to put a decal sticker on the back to protect it further.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #30
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This makes me leery of buying a KT. I should take a pic of how bad my back plate of my K4 looks. I plan to put a decal sticker on the back to protect it further.
Please do post a pic, feedback after prolonged use is really helpful information.

I've still to have a play with the Kindle Touch (only just released in the UK), but I'm tempted by the Sony PRS-T1. For value for money I don't think you can beat the Kobo Touch (£79 compared to £109 for the Kindle and £139 for the Sony). However, if those physical page turn buttons were on the side of the Sony..... I'd say to heck with the extra money
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote