Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Public Library eBook Subject Search

Am I missing something, or is there no way to do a real subject search for public library eBooks?

To see what I mean, go to New York Public Library eBooks. Or go to http://search.overdrive.com/ and click on "Advanced Search." Yes, there is a pull down menu that allows you to select broad subjects like History or Business. But how would you search for books on, say, one particular country, or one particular war, or on broad topics not on the pull-down list, such as economics? And, is there a way to search by dewey decimal number?

Most libraries still have so few eBooks that my question may seem absurd. But, with any luck, more and more of us will have good enough library access for this to be a problem.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I use the category drop-down to specify the general subject, then put the specific topic in the "keyword" spot. Seems to be working for me so far.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I am not sure if it will help you or not, but with NYPL, using the regular search interface (rather than the Overdrive one) will also return ebooks:

http://nypl.bibliocommons.com/search

You can do your search and then narrow to ebooks afterwards. I don't know if it will get you better results but try it out?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I am not sure if it will help you or not, but with NYPL, using the regular search interface (rather than the Overdrive one) will also return ebooks
Good idea. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but results with that interface do not seem to include OverDrive Kindle format titles. Perhaps the programmers are working on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I use the category drop-down to specify the general subject, then put the specific topic in the "keyword" spot. Seems to be working for me so far.
Thanks. It isn't ideal, but it's better than before. You did help me to find, at search.overdrive.com, a couple books I'd like to read. One is only available in Abilene Texas, which won't work for me . But another is in the library at the next municipality over, where I have paper borrowing privileges because of being in the same state. I'll have to see if they'll give me a native library card after explaining why.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 02-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote