Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Question note Taking on the Nook

Can the Nook take Notes which can be copied to a PC ? It has a soft keyboard, so I am hoping so.

Also, my Kindle could highlight passages and clip them to a "My Clippings" file. This could then be dragged to a PCs also. Can the Nook do this.

Many thanks for any help.

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
JoelMBenge
JoelMBenge began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
You can place "notes" in a book, but there is no notepad application. They keyboard isn't as nice as the iPhone, but it's pretty good.

I made a suggestion in the B&N forum that they add a simple notepad application so people could keep longer notes, lists or even a journal. I have my fingers crossed, but they have a lot to fix before they add features.
JoelMBenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have problems with mine. I can write a note, but once I enter it, I can never find it again. In addition, note taking and highlighting (which also doesn't seem to work for me) are much more laborious than they are on a Kindle.

I've heard a rumor that another software upgrade is coming soon. I hope it will fix those problems.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks - transferring to a PC

Thanks for the replies. Sounds relatively hopefl. Has anyone tried to move the notes a desktop ?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Prince Hal
Zealot

Cippings ??

Can clippings of books and articles be taken and copied to your desktop, like the Kindle can in a text format. I know that the PocketBooks can do this, and the Sony 600 (in a fashion - it puts each clipping to a separate file).

Many thanks for your help.

Hal.
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Can clippings of books and articles be taken and copied to your desktop, like the Kindle can in a text format. I know that the PocketBooks can do this, and the Sony 600 (in a fashion - it puts each clipping to a separate file).

Many thanks for your help.

Hal.
I haven't seen a way yet to do it. I just installed the new software update (Version 1.2.0) over the weekend. I'm happy to report that now at least I can take notes and highlight, but it's not much good if I still have no way to transfer those notes to my PC as I do on my Kindle. That makes the notes kind of useless, especially if you wish to quote certain portions of a book online or in correspondence. Hopefully B&N will address that in a future update.

SLIGHTLY ALERT! One of the major improvements of the 1.2.0 update is that the Nook no longer loses my place when I switch between books!!!

It's getting there.

Slowly.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-15-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Prince Hal
Zealot

Thanks

Many thanks Tom. That answrs my question perfectly.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
ppatt
ppatt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
If you are a note-taker, often highlighting and scribbling notes in book margins then you will be sorely disappointed with the basic Nook. To use notes and highlighting effectively do the following:

1. have paper and pencil handy
2. add a note or highlighting to your Nook E-book
3. write down book name and page number on the paper
4. don't lose paper

...which sort of defeats the purpose.

This is easily fixed via update. B&N simply chooses not to do it. I would have preferred this fix rather than the faster page update if push came to shove and they could only do one.

For this I will vote with my feet and go to another e-reader but I haven't quite decided which. I looked at the PanDigital Novel but it works with B&N and I'm done with them...would prefer Amazon. I would get a basic Kindle but the physical keyboard subtracts from screen real estate. Don't need 3-4G, just wi-fi.

Any suggestiions? Anyone?
ppatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Get a Sony. One of the new models. You can get your epub books from other places besides the Sony store.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Get a Sony. One of the new models. You can get your epub books from other places besides the Sony store.
I don't know about the newer model Sonys, but my PRS-600 truncates text when exporting. I'd recommend a Kindle.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't know about the newer model Sonys, but my PRS-600 truncates text when exporting. I'd recommend a Kindle.
True. The only choice is the Kindle. Unfortunately you're stuck with the full-time keyboard.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
True. The only choice is the Kindle. Unfortunately you're stuck with the full-time keyboard.
Can you export notes and underlined passages on your NookColor?
Old 12-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Can you export notes and underlined passages on your NookColor?
Nope. A real disappointment for such a device. The ultimate wish that's being requested on the B&N site.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Nope. A real disappointment for such a device. The ultimate wish that's being requested on the B&N site.
That's too bad. It seems like something B&N could fix with a firmware update, were they so inclined.

Perhaps when their app store opens, someone will write an app for that; but if B&N's promise of an app store is anything like Amazon's promise of an app store for the Kindle, I wouldn't hold my breath. I believe Amazon's been promising an app store for about a year now.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-25-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
ppatt
ppatt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
That's too bad. It seems like something B&N could fix with a firmware update, were they so inclined.

I think the app store is a cop-out. This is just an e-reader...they aren't becoming facebook. The idea seems trendy at the moment but I doubt it will fly. They also have an obligation to thoroughly test it lest it bring down the device.

I develop software and it's all sounds easier than it is. I'd imagine that they have some big platofrm challenges in presenting a robust plugin interface that is both performant and safe. I hardly want the proverbial "blue screen" on my nook...though it would not be blue...LOL!
ppatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clippings, nook, notes