Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Device: lbook V3, iRex DR800SG
росketbook 301 firmware

It looks like Cool-er can be updated with Росketbook 301 firmware (which is considered to be the best among the Netronix' clones). Those interested do the following:
1. Google and double-google to make sure that Росketbook 301 rules.
2. Google for < "FR-TO-PB.EXE" multiupload >.
3. Get the FR-TO-PB.EXE self-extracting archive, extract its content to an SD card to be used for the update.
4. Find the fr2pb.pl file in the myfiles folder of the update set, open it in a text editor, locate the following lines
!grep(/mtd5: 02000000 00020000 "app"/,@mtdtable) ||
!grep(/mtd6: 1d440000 00020000 "other"/,@mtdtable))

and replace them with
!grep(/mtd5: 02000000 00020000 "app"/,@mtdtable))
5. Save the file and update Cool-er using the SD card.
6. Enjoy.

Note:
- they say that Cool-er will not be updateable anymore after this update.
- do it at your own risk, only if you are ready to get your Cool-er bricked.
- if you started the update but after 10 minutes you are not sure that it is in progress, you have failed. If your previous firmware will not install after 2 attempts, install booq's (also do it twice, if the first attempt fails), then yours or try again with this one.
- there are at least two people who have made it (judging by the-ebook.org posts).
- the default interface language will be Russian, but it can be changed to English, German or Hebrew.

PS More things to note:
- I was informed that the internal memory of Cool-ers with 1 Gb onboard decreases to 512 Mb. Personally, I think the gain is worth the loss;
- One can install the latest version of Росketbook SW (v15.2) after this update (which is 14.2). However, v14.2 is considered to be more stable.

Last edited by Qxr; 01-10-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Qxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
That does look good - I'd noticed that the booq firmware might be compatible but had yet to try it out. I may see if I can brick my Cool-ER again tomorrow
Thanks for the tips!
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Added "More things to note"
Old 01-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Very interesting.

Something I noticed, while glancing through the files:

There seems to be an image for the EB600EM, but not the EB600E. So that may be the reason why for some it bricks the device.

This installation does not have the usual(?) TGZ files containing a whole system - does it copy itself onto the device?

If so, there is no backdoor anymore, it seems - it has been removed from the rcS file.
Could be reinserted, I suppose.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Installed this onto my Cool-ER... It is way better than I'd imagined

There's no real need for a backdoor - you can get an actual terminal running on it, and practically everything is configurable via the settings or config files...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
Installed this onto my Cool-ER... It is way better than I'd imagined

There's no real need for a backdoor - you can get an actual terminal running on it, and practically everything is configurable via the settings or config files...
Damn.
I'm jealous. I'd love to try it too, but I don't dare trying it, because I know the hardware is different :-(

I suppose I could try to replace the U-Boot files, but I doubt this would be a good idea.

I guess I'll have to content myself with rummaging through the files...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
codeMonkey
Zealot

The booq firmware linked here through these pages should still work quite nicely on an EB600E. Plus, I think things like dictionaries were included too.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Qxr
Enthusiast

codeMonkey - My congratulations, welcome to the club! I hope you'll find the firmware good enough (anyway, there is no known way back, as you remember).

Cyberman tM - I had to add that note about bricking possibility just because some people cannot follow instructions. The two cool-ers i saw turned into pосketbooks survived the operation all right, with no bricking.
However, I did not know that there were as EB600EM, so EB600E Cool-er models.
Nonetheless, it may be interesting for you to have a look at ShineBook firmware, too: http://shinebook.eu/scripts/Shineboo...7-20101123.rar
It has a German dictionary installed (booq has Spanish). The dictionaries seem to be not replaceable. I used to install that version with no problem at all. I made sure that it could be replaced with booq or cool-er firmware if you do not like it. Still, all the risks are yours.

Last edited by Qxr; 02-07-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
Cyberman tM
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qxr View Post
The two cool-ers i saw turned into pосketbooks survived the operation all right, with no bricking.
However, I did not know that there were as EB600EM, so EB600E Cool-er models.
Problem is, I don't have a CoolEr, but actually an Elonex. :-/
Almost the same - but not quite.

I'll take a look at the Shinebook firmware, thanks.

[edit]Don't you like shuffling through new firmware files? :-)
I see this firmware uses SKIN files. And it has the Jam VM. Very interesting.

Last edited by Cyberman tM; 02-08-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #10
codeMonkey
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qxr View Post
codeMonkey - My congratulations, welcome to the club! I hope you'll find the firmware good enough (anyway, there is no known way back, as you remember).
I was willing to risk bricking it to see what the pocketbook firmware was like - but yeah, it's fantastic. My reader had been feeling a bit old and outdated recently, and this has given it a new lease on life.

Have you updated to any of the newer firmwares after this one?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
Qxr
Enthusiast

I have not, though I heard that it's possible.

The new firmware can reflow PDFs, but not as stable as this one, as far as I know. I'm happy with what I've got, so I'll hardly try the update.

Also, for those who still have their doubts: the pосkebook firmware supports additional interface languages and dictionaries. More details can be found on the PB forum, I believe. Also, some nice things to look at: http://www.pocketbook-usa.com/support/pocketbook-301/

Last edited by Qxr; 02-08-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
codeMonkey
Zealot

I thought I saw a mention of this one re-flowing PDFs too, but I haven't tried it yet.
The reading things with columns support and the fit-to-page views are fantastic ideas - I really want to two-column document to use it with now
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
micklewhite
micklewhite began at the beginning.

Device: Coolerbook
Just wanted to say thanks to QXR for posting this up with the instructions. Just succesfully upgraded the firmware on my cool-er. Really pleased with the new interface... a million times better.
micklewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
x_fight
x_fight began at the beginning.

Device: cool-er
Thank for the instruction but i can't find a working link for FR-TO-PB.EXE
can someone reupload the file
x_fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:05 AM   #15
Qxr
Enthusiast

Please google as advised above. I've just made sure that Megaupload links available via two Multiupload pages are still all right.