Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Name change in novel

I'm now working on The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins, but have come across a name change and don't know what to do about it.

In chapter 12 the three daughters of of Lord Mountbarry are named Lucy, Blanche, and Clara; Lucy is the eldest. In chapter 21 the eldest daughter is named Marion. I've seen this in the PG version, in a pdf of the 1892 version, and in a modern print version.

Should I leave the names as they are in the original, and hope nobody notices the name change? Or change Marion to Lucy in chapter 21, and hope nobody notices the discrepancy between the original and the MobileRead library version?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I personally would hate to see a character's name suddenly change between chapters, especially in a mystery. (Unless that would be some kind of plot point.)

Maybe you could change it to Lucy to match the earlier chapter, but with a footnote to explain that in other editions the name inexplicably appears as "Marion".
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That name change is also mentioned here.

Basically, since it's public domain, you can do whatever you like, even get rid of Lucy/Marion completely. In printed books, successive editions may introduce this kind of change without notice. I would just consider this a typo and correct it silently. Actually, I just did something similar (work in progress).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks for all the suggestions, and for the link to the tvtropes site. It looks well worth exploring.

I agree that the name should be changed so that the names are consistent, but am a bit wary about doing it silently. In the 'preface to this edition' there is a section in which I outline the changes I have made, so I think I'll include something like 'have kept the eldest daughter's name consistent'.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Maybe Marion was intended to be Lucy's middle name and Mr. Collins forgot which of the two names he had the character addressed by. Other authors had similar errors I understand. Bulkington was the name of a character who got a lot of stage time in Moby Dick I understand then Ahab shows up and Bulkington ends up being washed overboard.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is hard to remember sometimes that these authors who we now regard as classic authors were grinding these out at a very fast pace to make a living, compensation then being much much less that the superstar authors of today. No surprise they should make a mistake. The Sherlock Holmes fans have uncovered some fair inconsistencies much worse than this.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
It is hard to remember sometimes that these authors who we now regard as classic authors were grinding these out at a very fast pace to make a living, compensation then being much much less that the superstar authors of today. No surprise they should make a mistake. The Sherlock Holmes fans have uncovered some fair inconsistencies much worse than this.
Or it could have been introduced by the printer. Certainly back then it would have been harder to keep text consistent while setting the type I'd think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post

My favorite Holmesian error is Dr Watson's forename.

We are told that the name on his dispatch box was "John H Watson", but later on his wife calls him "James". A pleasant explanation of Doyle's error (suggested by Dorothy Sayers) was that the "H" stood for "Hamish", the Scottish form of James, and his wife called him that as a pet name. She'd have got on well with Jasper Fforde.

Holmes' landlady, the indefatigable (and no doubt widowed) Mrs Hudson, appears briefly as Mrs Turner: speculation in that case turns on a brief marriage to a Mr Turner.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
Holmes' landlady, the indefatigable (and no doubt widowed) Mrs Hudson, appears briefly as Mrs Turner: speculation in that case turns on a brief marriage to a Mr Turner.
Or simply that Mrs Watson was taking a well-deserved holiday, and Mrs Turner was filling in for her. I'd favour that theory, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote