Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
FranchiseBlade
FranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Getting a Kindle

I don't own any e-reader currently. But I did the social living Amazon card deal, and will be getting an amazon gift card on Valentine's Day as well. I believe that with the two and a little of my own money I will be able to get the K3 3g/wifi.

Since I don't own an e-reader I may ask some stupid questions or be under some mistaken information I've gathered while trying to read about devices/issues/ebook management etc.

I have bought several of the free books from Amazon to use with my Android phone which has the Kindle app. From reading some of the threads here I believe that by using whisper sync and possibly the usb on my computer accessing the purchases from my amazon account I'll be able to transfer all those books (about 25) over to the Kindle without any issue, right?

Also I had a question about downloads from Project Gutenberg... I've seen on several books I would like to get that they have file downloads for kindle. Do I have to do anything special to load those up, and synch them in with my Android Kindle app as well?

I just want to make sure that I know what I'm doing as much as possible before I get the Kindle. I'm really excited about it and would love to hit the ground running.

Thanks for any help on this that anybody could provide as well as any other useful tips that folks have.
FranchiseBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
To download Project G books either go to their website using your computer browser, then transfes files to your Android, or download then through Kindle and then take them from the Kindle to your Android device.

Amazon back up on their server only the books you purchased through them.
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
When you get your Kindle, you will see something called "archives" on it. To download books you've already got (free or paid for) from Amazon just click in there and select a book to download - it will tell you to switch on the wifi/3G to do so. You can only download one at a time but it us surprisingly quick and you don't need to wait for one to download before clicking on another.

Project G just visit the www on your kindle web browser - search for the mobile version of it on google - and you can browse and download away right from there. Very easy to use.

It is very exciting - congrats
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Check out the free books available here. I know that the folks who are proofing them take it very seriously and do a great job with them.

Enjoy your Kindle!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
FranchiseBlade
FranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litter

Thanks for all your help. I will definitely check out the books available here. I'm pretty excited about the prospect.

This website is exciting to me because I know that I'll be able to get more from my e-reader because of all the experience of people who've had more experience with it.

Even before I've bought my Kindle I feel like I've learned a lot from reading the threads on the forums.
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
congrats and welcome!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Nice to be able to look forward to getting your K3, you will love it ...
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
In addition to transferring via USB from your computer to your K3, you can also do the whisper thing and email your ebooks to your K3 via your @kindle.com (wifi) or @freekindle.com (3g) accounts. Just be aware of a 25 MB file size limit (if you use GMail) when using this method to transfer ebooks. I've only run into one book thus far where this was a problem. Any books not purchased from Amazon already in your computer library should be able to be transferred this way.

Check into a software program called calibre to help you manage your ebooks. I believe there's a forum here at MR for it too. I email my ebooks to my K3 via calibre.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
FranchiseBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
In addition to transferring via USB from your computer to your K3, you can also do the whisper thing and email your ebooks to your K3 via your @kindle.com (wifi) or @freekindle.com (3g) accounts. Just be aware of a 25 MB file size limit (if you use GMail) when using this method to transfer ebooks. I've only run into one book thus far where this was a problem. Any books not purchased from Amazon already in your computer library should be able to be transferred this way.

Check into a software program called calibre to help you manage your ebooks. I believe there's a forum here at MR for it too. I email my ebooks to my K3 via calibre.
Cool. I've read about Calibre a little bit on these boards and will definitely get it. Thanks for the tip about emailing too. I'm so pumped about getting this thing.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
FranchiseBlade

Well my Kindle arrived this evening. A day early. I may not get any sleep tonight, but I'm going to play around with it. I've done some homework and will be getting some of the ebooks here in addition to the ones I already got free of charge, and the ones I bought on Amazon. I hope I do it correctly. I'm so excited. My work may suffer tomorrow, but it definitely seems worth it?

Separate question: Do you any of you find you read more because of the ease of using your e-reader? I've always loved to read, but especially lately I haven't had as much time as I would like. I'm just hoping that maybe with the Kindle I will somehow 'find' more time.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Enjoy your reader!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranchiseBlade View Post
Separate question: Do you any of you find you read more because of the ease of using your e-reader? I've always loved to read, but especially lately I haven't had as much time as I would like. I'm just hoping that maybe with the Kindle I will somehow 'find' more time.
Yes. Very VERY yes.

I used to read off and on, depending on the book if I really liked it and such. But now... now I read all the time.

As I tell people, maybe because it's a new toy; maybe because it feels Star Trek-ish; maybe because it's lighter than a hardback and easier to keep from losing a page than a mass-market paperback; maybe because 4 other people in my family have Kindles and are thus prone to talk more about books lately.

Any way you slice it, I read much more than I used to.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
My sister recently commented that she has never seen me read so many books before I got the kindle. Even iphone and sony reader didn't make me read as often. I blame the free ebooks offered by kindle every month. My TBR list keeps growing.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I blame the ease of buying books
Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
No denying it - the K3 really has ramped up the consumption of books - especially with so many 99c ones too being offered by all sorts of authors.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote