Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
davidhburton
Addict
davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Author Appreciation Week

Apparently it's Author Appreciation Week.

What authors do you appreciate, and why?

I've been really big on Robert J. Sawyer lately. I think he's a visionary and I know he spends a lot of time researching before writing his scifi novels. He's truly brilliant!

And you?
davidhburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
That's like what books do you like, which is what this forum is all about. There are a few authors that I will/would automatically read anything they put out:
- John D. Macdonald (dead)
- Pat Conroy
- Michael Connelly
- Agatha Christie (dead)
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I appreciate all authors.

Writing a 13 page research paper, which really doesn't have an original thought in it, makes me feel ready for a padded cell. Anyone who can focus long enough to actually finish a novel and create something other people like is doing something totally beyond my comprehension.

This picture summarizes my feelings:

[Image too large - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-23-2012 at 09:55 AM.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for starting this thread!

Just posted elsewhere that I appreciate JOHN HART, who beautifully combines literary writing and page-turning suspense - and I am remembering the late great ROBERT B. PARKER.

TC
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Last night I watched a rather dire 1972 BBC production of George Bernard Shaw's 'Mrs. Warren's Profession'.

I appreciate GBS - don't appreciate naff performances of his plays.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Jane Gardam - her writing is spare and seemingly simple - but packs emotions and characterization into few words - my favorites are: Old Filth and The Man in the Wooden Hat. Magical!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I appreciate the writers who have compassion, make us smile, point out our follies, rage at us when needed, console us and show us that there is hope. The writers who know what it is to be human and help make it all just a bit clearer.

A short list:

Mark Twain
Terry Pratchett
Anne Lamott
Tony Hendra
Joseph Campbell
Shakespeare (Wm)
W.B. Yeats
Charles Dickens
Jane Austen
Bill Bryson
Christopher Moore
Donald E. Westlake
Dorothy Sayers

Many, many more
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
davison
Working On It
davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.davison writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: none
Anyone who can grab me from the get-go and take me out of my 'normal life' for a day or two. Authors that have done that to me include:
Harlan Coben
Lee Child
C J Samson
Dan Brown
Stephen Davison - (no scrap that I'm getting my threads confused)
Robert Harris
Simon Kernick
davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I read according to mood and time of year.

Isabel Allende Llona (The House of the Spirits - La casa de los espíritus)
Gabriel García Márquez (Cien años de soledad) - One Hundred Years of Solitude)
John Steinbeck (Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath, Tortilla Flat)
Sandra Cisneros (The House on Mango Street)

Fun, light reading ..
Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum novels)
JD Robb ("In Death" series)

I read many more genres (and have a large pbook collection), but not many make a lasting impression as those above for various reasons.

Plus, my recent discovery of indie authors since being gifted my Sony.

If I name dropped my list would be too long (see my sig).. but, of those I tend to choose those who take an active part in MR and venture to other areas of the forum. I've discovered a love of short stories, urban fantasy, steampunk/cyberpunk, an extended range of sci-fi, and well.. whatever. The authors on MR have enticed me to give most anything a try (especially those books without DRM and at reasonable prices to try new-to-me authors.)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
A writer you don't often hear about is Barbara Pym. Philip Larkin thought she was the dog's whatsits, (though whether you take that as a recommendation depends on what you think of Larkin).
You can find out more at:http://www.barbara-pym.org/
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Jane Gardam - her writing is spare and seemingly simple - but packs emotions and characterization into few words - my favorites are: Old Filth and The Man in the Wooden Hat. Magical!
I loved her book The Queen of the Tambourine, but haven't got to Old Filth yet.

Barbara Pym ... and her character Everhard Bone! (not sure how it's spelled as I listened to the audio)
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Thumbs up More Kudos for Barbara Pym

Here was a totally unexpected -- and unexpectedly delightful -- read. Barbara Pym was hailed twice by the Times Literary Supplement as "the most underrated novelist of the century" -- that was 1977; she died three years later in 1980 at the age of 67 having published just 7 novels in her lifetime of which A Glass of Blessings was her fifth.

Set in 1950s London, this witty novel is told through the narration of the shallow and self-absorbed protagonist Wilmet Forsyth who, despite her flaws, begins to learn something about love and about herself. The characters are explored in everyday activities, many involving the church (no less than three priests are central to the evolving events), and the others part of Wilmet's family (including her mother-in-law who owns and rules their home) and friends. When by chance, she re-connects with a childhood friend, Piers Longridge, and imagines he is a secret admirer, her heart re-awakens after years of colourless genteel contentment.

For social historians, there are endless observations, not least the very sympathetic portrayal of one matter-of-factly homosexual couple, and the richly embedded role of the church in daily lives as a social, rather than religious, institutiton.

Since her death, Pym has been recognised by countless scholarly revisitations, including an official Barbara Pym Society.

A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym. Published in 1958; currently out of print although available in a Darknet Digital Edition.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 01-04-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: mashed typoes
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Wow, now here's a topic that I could really go wild on ... but in attempt to refrain from writing a thesis, here are a few stand-outs for me:

Terry Pratchett - whose writing has grown far beyond the early parody of others' work to be something much bigger and better. A writer that shows that important, and often quite serious, subjects can be considered without getting mired deep in misery. He shows us that stories can be laugh-out-loud fun while still containing real value and depth.

J.K. Rowling - whose accomplishment I think is still to be fully understood. An epic tale that grew with it's readers and brought literally millions of people into the enjoyment of reading.

Neil Gaiman - whose writing refuses to be categorised, every book a surprise, shows us that an author need not be constrained by others' ideas of what they should write.

I could go on and on here, especially as you go back further and look at the importance of various authors ... but this is enough for one sitting.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote