Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My cars are a 2003 Toyota Camry and a 2006 Honda Pilot. My iMac was purchased in August 2007 and my MacBook Pro in January 2008. My Kindle Keyboard was a gift in June 2011. And my iPhone 4 was purchased in June 2010.

It is easy to choose not to buy the latest and greatest. All it takes is a little self control.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #17
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I consider myself to be halfway between the "upgrade because it's cool" type and the way I was raised - to buy something you like and settle on it.

I've explored a few e-readers, but have now enough experience, that simply the release of new models doesn't get me eager to go out and spend. However, if what I have should need replacing, I am glad that the technology is still keeping up with the needs of their customers.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am a gadget freak, but I still have my 2004 car, and when I mentioned to my husband that it would be expensive to get the roof fixed (it is a convertible), he just looked at me. He is a car freak - can control himseld for 6 years or so, but then, even though we said 10, he is ready for a new car. Sorry, mine is fine until they come out with a purple hardtop convertible.

I love sitting down and reading instruction booklets (I know, they are few and far between these days), and setting up my devices. I will definately go with the lighted kindle, and if the fire has anything I want, I might bite. I am really looking for a new computer - my daughter could use this ultrabook. I have my eye on a Surface (worst name ever?) - I need something that has java, so I can connect to work. But that market is so immature, there will be something new in a few months.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
There are car freaks who feel they simply must get the next model, and there are car freaks who keep their cars working as long as possible. I consider the latter the real car freaks, they are the ones with the cool classic car in the garage. I'm not a car freak, but I intend to keep my car, a rather unstylish Toyota Yaris, running as long as it is keeping it is more cost effective than replacing it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
If it still works, it generally doesn't get upgraded.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Then there are some things that I worry about needing to "upgrade" because the newer models will be a downgrade for my personal tastes or needs.

E.g., My Kindle 3, with a keyboard and 3G. I dread there ever coming a day I can't use it, as I doubt there will be another model that allows me to control TTS and navigate menus by feel.

Or my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, since the new trend seems to be to replace microSD cards with cloud storage, and using higher resolutions than*1024 x 600, which is perfect for me.

sometimes, the adage "they don't make'm like they used to" fits. At least there's often a trade-off in quality or specs or features, especially when companies are trying to get prices way down.

Last edited by Piper_; 08-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #22
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Any addicted golfer to the game/sport goes through the same habit of wondering how the next wonder club will perform versus what they have.

With the promise of added distance and how often manufactures release new clubs, by now shouldn't one's driver reach the green in one shot?
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
This shows mobile phones/tablets are still in their early or growth phase. The same happened in the history of PC. I used to upgrade constantly when new Windows version/PC came out. Now? I don't care, until my current PC breaks down.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I pay a premium price for new tech that I really want. (like my PRS -300 for $379) or as a gift. Then I upgrade mostly when the price is right. For example I bought my roommate a PRS-350 as a gift for $199 but only bought myself one when the price was $50.

I would not have bought a T1 but my roommate bought me one as a gift. I like it okay but don't see it as a significant improvement.

I did buy a car once,, but found that life was not significantly improved. I would find myself taking a bus or a taxi or even walking because it was simpler than finding parking and cheaper than paying for it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #25
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i generally don't upgrade squat, i simply don't care enough. i'm still using my k3 and my phone is a miserable lg slider smartphone that i only own because it was a freebie with my contract renewal.

however i do want a kindle "glow" so bad that i can taste it, that's the only thing that would make me upgrade the kindle.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #26
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i'm affected largely by the peers i keep company with, like you guys

i mean, i used to play online games and was active on those forums too, and when the users talked about buying stuff, i'd get excited and get in on the action too
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #27
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Any addicted golfer to the game/sport goes through the same habit of wondering how the next wonder club will perform versus what they have.

With the promise of added distance and how often manufactures release new clubs, by now shouldn't one's driver reach the green in one shot?
They play for real? I tought it was just an elaborate excuse for wearing this funny pants.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
however i do want a kindle "glow" so bad that i can taste it,...
So does Rover

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #29
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
If you have a device that you use everyday and a new version comes out that will be better in some way that's meaningful to you, I don't see a particular problem with upgrading if the improvement would be useful to you. I didn't upgrade my k3 to a k4 because I didn't really care about touch...but I would have upgraded if there had been another 50% improvement in contrast, since it is a device I use often.

If the only improvement is the glow screen, I *may* upgrade...but only if there are no other compromises and I like reading with the screen.

At some point e-readers and smartphone and the like will essentially become commodities, with only incremental changes over time. Kind of like computers or even cars are now. But while things are still in flux, marketers are going to focus on the new features, and customers are going to have to decide whether it's important enough to upgrade based on their needs and, well, their salary.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
If I think my old device is good enough I am not really tempted by upgrades unless they offer something I really want. Case in point is my Touchpad. There is nothing a newer tablet can offer me that I cannot do now. Sure, they maybe lighter, thinner, and faster but my Touchpad is good enough. Now give me a full Intel Windows tablet that offers the same battery life and weighs the same and I would be tempted. Or some new screen technology. Sure, higher resolution screens are great, but they are not keeping me away from e-ink yet. Manufacturers have to show me some real benefits before they get my money as long as the old device keeps on working.

This is also one of the advantages of custom ROM's. You get the latest features even on older devices.

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-29-2012 at 12:26 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote